Skip Navigation

Engineering


About Us: Timeline

  • 1877:
    The Industrial College was established, including agriculture and the School of Mechanical Arts, a trade school. The first civil engineering classes were taught.
  • 1898:
    The Mechanical Arts Building was constructed and housed Engineering Mechanics, Civil Engineering and the Math Department.
  • 1907:
    Agricultural Engineering was established.
  • 1909:
    The colleges were reorganized by an act of the State Legislature. Industrial College became the College of Engineering and the College of Agriculture.
  • 1911:
    The college was housed in the Mechanical Engineering Building (now Richards Hall).
  • 1918:
    The Agricultural Engineering Building was built on the East Campus. Now named L.W. Chase Hall, the building now houses the Biological Systems Engineering department.
  • 1950:
    Electrical Engineering moved into the newly built Ferguson Hall, consolidating the classes from several buildings. The Mechanical Arts Building was gutted and remodeled primarily for civil engineering and renamed Stout Hall.
  • 1958:
    The Chemical Engineering department was added in a wing of Avery Hall. Nebraska Hall was purchased from the Elgin Watch Factory, adding 440,000 square feet. It was not until early 1971 that the engineering college moved into the west half of the building.
  • 1970:
    UNL's College of Engineering and Omaha's School of Engineering and Technology merged to form the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering & Technology. The Lincoln city and east campuses housed nine departments; the Omaha campus housed four departments.
  • 1972:
    Walter Scott Engineering Center (SEC) was dedicated and housed laboratories, research centers and the engineering shop. Later, the link between SEC and Nebraska Hall was formed and became home to Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
  • 1974:
    Stout Hall was torn down and replaced with Manter Hall Life Sciences Building. Architecture became a separate college on the UNL city campus.
  • 1995:
    The Peter Kiewit Institute for Information Science, Technology and Engineering was created in Omaha. PKI includes the UNL College of Engineering, the University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Information Science and Technology, and local industry. The state-of-the-art facility opened for classes in 1999.
  • 1998:
    Architectural Engineering was implemented and housed on the Omaha campus.
  • 2000:
    The college broke ground on Donald F. Othmer Hall, home to the department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and the Dean's Office. The four-story building features a biological process development facility, the first of its kind in an American university; and next generation distance education technology. Othmer Hall opened for classes in fall 2002.
  • 2005:
    To reflect its changing educational mission, the college changed its name to the College of Engineering. Technology was removed in accordance with a national movement to eliminate technology development programs in engineering curricula. The college also discontinued its industrial systems technology major and construction engineering technology program.
  • 2009:
    The College of Engineering celebrates its 100th anniversary with more than 3,080 undergraduate and graduate students.