ELEC 465/865: Introduction to Data Compression
For the students to:
- be introduced to and understand the physical significance of some basic concepts of information theory including entropy, average mutual information and the rate distortion bound.
- learn the design of entropy codes including Huffman codes, and arithmetic coding.
- understand the operation of lossless compression schemes.
- understand the operation of popular lossy compression schemes including delta modulation, differential pulse code modulation, transform coding, and vector quantization.
- design compression schemes for specific applications.
- be aware of current standards in multimedia compression.