Paul G. Snyder
Professor Snyder's Ph.D. research involved using pulsed lasers to study impurity-related luminescence in III-V semiconductors, at cryogenic temperatures. A post-doctoral position at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln followed, where he used ellipsometry as a tool to study the properties of metals, semiconductors, and dielectrics. As Assistant and then Associate Professor his involvement in the development and use of ellipsometry continued. This included analysis techniques applied to semiconductor multilayer structures, and real-time monitoring and control during various processes such as patterned etching.
- Ph.D., 1984 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
- M.S., 1981 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
- B.S., 1979 Texas Tech University Lubbock, TX
Research Interests:Professor Snyder is currently teaching half-time, and is not pursuing research. Publications:
- P.G. Snyder, J.E. Oh, J.A. Woollam and R.E. Owens, "Ellipsometric analysis of built-in electric fields in semiconductor heterostructures," Appl. Phys. Lett. 51, 770-772 (1987).
- P.G. Snyder, J.A. Woollam, S.A. Alterovitz, and B. Johs, "Modeling AlGaAs optical constants, as functions of composition," J. Appl. Phys. 68, 5925-5926 (1990).
- H.D. Yao and P.G. Snyder, "In-situ ellipsometric studies of optical and surface properties of GaAs (100) at elevated temperatures," Thin Solid Films 206, 283-287 (1991).
- P.G. Snyder, Y.-M. Xiong, J.A. Woollam, E.R. Krosche, and Y. Strausser, "Characterization of polycrystalline silicon thin film multilayers by variable angle spectroscopic ellipsometry," Surface and Interface Analysis 18, 113-118 (1992).
- Y.-M. Xiong, P.G. Snyder, and J.A. Woollam, "Photoellipsometric determination of surface Fermi level in (100) GaAs," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A11, 1075-1082 (1993).
- S. Nafis, N.J. Ianno, P.G. Snyder, W.A. McGahan, B. Johs, and J.A. Woollam, "Electron cyclotron resonance etching of semiconductor structures studied by in-situ spectroscopic ellipsometry," Thin Solid Films 233, 253-255 (1993). Also presented at 1st International Conference on Spectroscopic Ellipsometry (ICSE-1), Paris, 1993.
- C.M. Herzinger, P.G. Snyder, B. Johs, and J.A. Woollam, "InP optical constants from 0.75 to 5.0 eV determined by variable angle spectroscopic ellipsometry," J. Appl. Phys. 77, 1715-1724 (1995).
- C.M. Herzinger, H. Yao, P.G. Snyder, F.G. Celii, Y.-C. Kao, D. Chow, B. Johs, and J.A. Woollam, "Studies of thin strained InAs, AlAs, and AlSb layers by spectroscopic ellipsometry," J. Appl. Phys. 79, 2663-2674 (1996).
- P.G. Snyder, T.E. Tiwald, D.W. Thompson, N.J. Ianno, J.A. Woollam, M.G. Mauk and Z.A. Shellenbarger, "Infrared free carrier response of In0.15Ga0.85As0.17Sb0.83 epilayers on GaSb," Thin Solid Films 313-314, 667-670 (1998). Also presented at 2nd International Conference on Spectroscopic Ellipsometry (ICSE-2), Ch02/24/2006 P.G. Snyder, "Real time monitoring and control of wet etching of GaAs/ AlGaAs using real time spectroscopic ellipsometry," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B17, 2045-2049 (1999).
- S.-J. Cho, P.G. Snyder, C.M. Herzinger, B. Johs, "Etch depth control in bulk GaAs using patterning and real time spectroscopic ellipsometry," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B20, 197-202 (2002).