Skip Navigation

Electrical Engineering

Undergraduates: Academic Regulations

6.1 Grade Requirements
Electrical engineering students must receive at least a D- in all Electrical Enginering courses that apply to the degree. This does not apply to other departments or colleges.

6.2 Grade Scale
The University grading scale is:




























Grades of W (dropped/withdrew), I (incomplete), P (pass with grade of "C" or better), N (no pass), NR (no report) may also be given. W,I, P, N, NR are not assigned grade points and therefore are not used in computation of a student's grade point average. Grade Point Averages (GPAs) are determined by dividing quality points by quality hours. The quality points value is determined by multiplying the quality hours by the point value for the grade(s) received for the course.

6.3 Pass/No Pass Grading Option
Students in the College of Engineering are not allowed to take any required or elective course on a pass/no pass basis. However, students may take up to 12 credit hours in the Humanities and Social Sciences (H&S) electives on a pass/no pass basis. In addition, ENGR 010, 020 and ENGR 400 are offered on a P/N basis.

6.4 Repeating Courses
Students may repeat a maximum of three engineering courses. Students may take any one engineering course a maximum of two times. Grades of C-, Ds, and F may be replaced by repeating a course. However, repeating a course in which students have a C or higher will only result in averaging the grades.

6.5 Course Withdraw Policy
Free Drops and Add Once students are registered for a semester, they can drop and add courses free of charge, and without the instructor's permission, through the second Monday of the fall and spring semesters. Students can drop and add courses that are open on eNRoll during this time period. Courses dropped during this time frame do not appear on the student's transcript and students receive a full tuition refund. See the summer Schedule of Classes to determine the corresponding dates for the summer sessions. Drops Processed After the Free Period but Before the Deadline for Withdrawing from One or More Classes for the Term: Beginning the second Tuesday of the semester students are assessed tuition charges for any drops. See the current schedule of classes to find the current tuition refund policy (rate by drop date) to determine the percentage of tuition the student will receive should they drop a class after the second Monday of the semester. Courses dropped after the second Monday of the semester until the deadline for dropping one or more courses (usually the Friday of the twelfth week of the semester) for the term are denoted on the student's transcript with a "W". Refer to the summer schedule of classes for the corresponding dates for all summer sessions. Students who want to drop classes after the published "W" deadline (see the current Schedule of Classes) must contact their college dean's office to obtain the "Petition for Late Withdrawal" form.

6.6 Incompletes
The grade of "I" is to be used by an instructor at the end of a term to designate incomplete work in a course. It should be used only when a student, due to illness, military service, hardship, or death in the immediate family, is unable to complete the requirements of the course in the term in which he or she is registered for credit. Incompletes should be given only if the student has already substantially completed the major requirements of the course. There is no uniform interpretation of what constitutes a substantial majority of the course. Faculty should, however, explain to students at the beginning of the course how they or their department interprets "substantially completed the major requirements of the course". An "I" grade cannot be changed to a "W". Students can, however, petition the faculty grade committee to receive a late "W". Students must complete the "Petition for Late Withdrawal Form" and submit it to the Dean's office (or main advising office) of their home college. Students who have an incomplete should NOT register for the course. Once they have completed the work for the course the instructor will submit a "Change of Student Record Form. Students who do reregister for courses in which they have been assigned an incomplete WILL BE ASSESSED TUITION AND FEES. Students who need to maintain full-time status must register for 12 other hours in addition to meeting the requirements to finish their incomplete. If the "I is not removed by the end of the stated time frame, an administrative grade change will be made to the grade listed on the I-Form. Incompletes are not calculated in the student's GPA until a grade is posted. Incompletes do count as attempted hours (AHRS). This means that "I's" are counted in determining the group the student falls into on the academic standards policy AND "I's" count in the formula the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid uses to determine if a student is making "Reasonable Academic Progress" (RAP) needed to keep their aid.

6.7 Grade Change
Students who receive a course grade that they believe is inaccurate should talk to the course instructor. If the instructor determines the grade assigned is incorrect, the instructor must submit a "Grade Change" form to the Office of Registration and Records. Once the grade is changed, the student's record will reflect the original grade followed by a slash and then the final grade assigned (i.e. "B/A-"). Only the final grade is used in calculating the student's semester and cumulative GPA. NOTE: Grade changes do not change a student's current probation/dismissal code. Students who are academically dismissed who feel that the grade change significantly alters their academic situation (i.e.after grade change student has a 2.0 last semester and 2.0 cum GPA) can state the situation on their dismissal appeal.

6.8 Substitution and Waivers
The forms for substitutions and waivers are available in the Electrical Engineering Department office. They may require a variety of signatures and supporting documentation.

6.9 Restricted Status
Students maybe re-classified to a restricted status if their accumulative GPA falls below 2.4. Students may not graduate with a degree in electrical engineering while in the restricted category.

6.10 Academic Probation
A student who receives a semester grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.00 or ends a semester * with a cumulative GPA below 2.00 will be placed (or will continue) on probation. The student will remain on probation until a semester is completed with both a semester and cumulative GPA at or above 2.00, or until the student is dismissed.

6.11 Academic Dismissal Policy
A student will be dismissed from UNL at the end of any semester* in which the following conditions exist:

  1. Cumulative Credit Hours** 1-18: more than one semester attended and a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 1.00.
  2. Cumulative Credit Hours 19-45: cumulative GPA below 2.00 at end of prior semester, and both semester and cumulative GPAs are below 1.75 or three consecutive semesters on probation. The unsuccessful semester which places the student on probation is considered the first of the three consecutive semesters on probation ***.
  3. Cumulative Credit Hours 46 and above: cumulative GPA below 2.00 at end of prior semester, and both semester and cumulative GPAs are below 2.00 or three consecutive semesters on probation ***.

NOTE: For the purposes of enforcing academic standards, cumulative credit hours (use AHRS on SIS+) include the following: 1. Credit hours that a student registered for and did not drop during the first two weeks of the course. These are the courses that are subject to a grade. 2. All transfer hours presented.

* For the purpose of enforcing academic standards, course work taken during any of the four summer sessions will be collectively considered as one semester of enrollment. If the student is not enrolled for the Second Five-week Session, the probation/dismissal calculation will be made at the grade census date of the First Five-week Session. Otherwise, the calculation will be made at the grade census date of the Second Five-week Session.

** For the purpose of enforcing academic standards, cumulative credit hours include the following:

  1. All credit hours that a student registered for and did not drop. These are the hours for the courses subject to a grade.
  2. All transfer hours presented.

*** The semester for which you are first placed on scholastic probation is counted as the first semester in the sequence of three. Any grade changes processed after the revised grade period cannot be considered for probation/dismissal status until the end of the next semester.

6.12 Grade Appeal Process

Step 1: Student appeals orally or in writing to his or her instructor. The instructor may, or may not, choose to submit a change of grade form to the Office of Registration and Records.

Step 2: If the results of the appeal in step 1 is not satisfactory to the student, he or she may appeal to the chair of the department in which the course was taught, in which the grade in question was received. This appeal must be in writing. The department chair will follow the appeal procedures of the department and will notify the student as soon as possible of the decision.

Step 3: Should the outcome of step 2 be unsatisfactory to the student, he or she may appeal to the College of Engineering Academic Appeals Committee. This appeal must be in writing to the Associate Dean of Engineering, 114 Othmer Hall.

Step 4: The Associate Dean will notify the student and faculty member of the committee's decision promptly. The findings of the College of Engineering Academic Appeals Committee are final.

6.13 Residency Requirement
At least 30 of the last 36 credit hours needed for a degree must be registered for and completed while identified with the College of Engineering. This means that, practically speaking, the last year of a student's work must be spent in residence.

6.14 Academic Bankruptcy
You may remove one or two semesters of credit hours from your undergraduate degree consideration by applying to Registration and Records, 107 Canfield Administration Building, after completing either fifteen simultaneous or sequential semester hours with at least a 3.0 grade point average or thirty hours with at least a 2.5 GPA at UNK, UNL, UNMC, or UNO following the semester or semesters you wish to remove but before receiving a baccalaureate degree from UNL. In order to exercise this option, you must:

  • Discuss the desire to bankrupt a semester with your academic adviser.
  • If you qualify, complete an "Academic Bankruptcy Form" at Registration and
  • Records, 107 Canfield Administration Building, and ask your adviser to sign the form.
  • Registration and Records may request an interview before authorizing the bankrupting of a semester.
  • Registration and Records will issue a written response to inform the student of the application results.

In order to declare a semester bankrupt, certain conditions must be understood :

  • All courses taken during the semester are bankrupt. This includes credit hours and grades.
  • The bankrupt semester is removed from consideration for GPA purposes and the bankrupt credit is not used for degree requirements. The semester listing of courses and grades remain evident on your academic record, but are marked "Approved for Academic Bankruptcy". The academic record is used to issue official transcripts.
  • Since "P" and "N" grades do not have numerical equivalents, they may not be used to meet bankruptcy requirements.
  • The request for bankruptcy must be submitted prior to receiving a baccalaureate degree from UNL.
  • Academic bankruptcy does not forgive semesters in the satisfactory academic progress calculations for financial aid recipients.
  • Academic bankruptcy applies to baccalaureate degree programs only.
  • College Independent Study courses via Extended Education and Outreach are not included in computing qualifying GPA; therefore, may not be used to meet bankruptcy requirements.