Skip Navigation

Electrical Engineering

Undergraduates: New Students

2.1 New Student Orientation

New Student Enrollment (NSE) is the formal orientation program for students entering the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. At NSE:

  • You will meet one-on-one with an academic adviser to discuss degree requirements. Your adviser will help you select the correct courses for your degree from the courses still available. You will leave NSE with a completed class schedule with course names, times, and locations.
  • You will learn how to ENGAGE, CONNECT, and BALANCE at Nebraska. Learn about academic support services, student involvement and recreation opportunities, and general tips on how to make the most of your college experience at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
  • You will take an in-depth tour of academic resources with a trained student orientation leader and a small group of incoming students. We will familiarize you with campus and show you how to access and utilize the many resources and opportunities at UNL.
  • You will receive your Ncard (student ID card).

2.2 General College Policies

These policies are applicable to all students in the College of Engineering.

  • Credits for "English for Foreign Students who are Non-native Speakers" at UNL and "English as a Second Language" at UNO are not applicable to degree programs in the College of Engineering.
  • Six hours of English composition may be substituted for the written communications requirement in all degree programs.
  • Students who enroll under the academic year of a given undergraduate bulletin must fulfill the requirements stated in that UNL bulletin or in any other UNL bulletin published while they are enrolled in the college, provided that the bulletin is no more than 10 years old at the time of graduation. A student, must, however, meet the graduation requirements from one bulletin only. A student may not choose a portion from one bulletin and the remainder from another bulletin.

2.3 First Semester Schedule and Advanced Placement Credit

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln offers Advanced Placement Test credit for certain tests administered through the College Board. For the current University policies regarding specific subject areas accepted and scores required, please visit: Advanced Placement Program

Students must have official copies of their scores submitted to the Office of Admissions by the College Board in order for credit to be awarded. To obtain copies of official grade reports, you can contact College Board directly at (888) CALL-4-AP.

While every effort is made to keep this list up to date, courses may be added or deleted at any time. For further information about the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Advanced Placement (AP) Program, please contact the Office of Admissions via e-mail at, or call the office at (800)742-8800, ext. 2023.

2.4 Undergraduate Seminars

All sophomore engineering students are required to attend ENGR 020, Sophomore Engineering Seminar, a zero-credit course. Transfer students must sign up for ENGR 030, a zero-credit course.