Skip Navigation

Electrical Engineering

Undergraduates: Transfer Students

3. Transfer Students

Each year NEBRASKA welcomes hundreds of Transfer Students from regionally accredited colleges and universities. If you have unique needs and specific questions, please review College of Engineering resources online and contact an advisor in the Electrical Engineering department.

3.1 Acceptance of Transfer Credits

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln accepts transfer post secondary credit hours earned at regionally accredited colleges and universities. However, these credits may or may not apply to the degree the student is seeking. Once the credits are accepted by the university, the student's academic college will determine how those courses apply to the student's degree.

Within the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, each undergraduate college has its own set of requirements for graduation and each department has specific requirements for the major. While all colleges have the Comprehensive Education Program requirements in common, each college identifies specific courses which fulfill those requirements. For example, a course in statistics may fulfill the Math & Statistics area requirement in the College of Journalism & Mass Communications, but not in the College of Engineering. Similarly, each college evaluates transfer courses to determine whether the courses will satisfy requirements.

A transfer course may have a direct UNL course equivalent. If so, with a qualifying grade the course will fulfill the same requirements as the UNL equivalent course. Exceptions are that only UNL courses fulfill IS (Integrative Studies) requirements and residency requirements.

A course may transfer as subject credit. For example, a Literature course, while not equivalent to any specific Literature course taught at UNL, is of similar scope and might be designated ENGL 2XX. This would allow the course to satisfy a requirement for a 200-level (sophomore) English course.

Other courses transfer as general elective credit and are designated as GNCR. This indicates the course is a college level academic course, but not equivalent to any specific UNL course. These courses can be used to satisfy electives. Some degree programs can apply more hours of elective credit than others.

Still other courses may be designated as Vocational Credit or VCRD. These courses are generally more skills based than knowledge based and have limited applicability to degree programs.

See the transfer course equivalency table to see if a particular course has been evaluated and has equivalent designation at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Courses which have not been evaluated will initially transfer as general credit and must be evaluated by the undergraduate college to determine applicability.

In some cases, even though a course may not be equivalent to a UNL course, it may be substituted for a required course. Part of the decision is based on the grade earned in the course. Each college sets policy for application to the degree of any grades below "C". This includes C-. Check with your advisor to determine the policy for your college.

Academic credit is never lost. It remains a part of the student's record. Whether it will apply depends on the specific degree the student plans to pursue. Many courses transfer as elective credit. If a student has more elective credit than can be applied to the degree, the student will have credit beyond the minimum number required to graduate. Some degrees have more specific requirements and leave little room for electives, while other programs are more flexible and may apply more elective credit.

Grades in courses transferred become part of the student's record, but unless they are from UNO or UNK—in the University of Nebraska System—the grades do not appear on a UNL transcript and are not computed in the UNL Grade Point Average (GPA). Grades may be used to determine eligibility for admission to the university, to a specific college, major, program or for placement into higher level courses.

3.2 Evaluation of Classes from other Schools

Course equivalents have been identified between NU and most Nebraska post-secondary institutions, and between UNL and some international institutions. To determine the NU equivalent of a course, see the transfer course equivalency table and click on the transfer institution name in the list and then select the subject area and the course number. - An equivalent course may or may not apply toward a specific degree. For information on course application, see the Transfer guides for Nebraska Community Colleges ( or contact College of Engineering advising office - Only Current equivalencies are listed. Past equivalencies will also be considered in the evaluation of transfer credit.

For an official evaluation of transfer credits, students are encouraged to apply for admission to NU and submit complete high school and post-secondary transcripts.