- Ph.D. in Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
- M.S. in Engineering, Seoul National University
- B.S. in Engineering, Seoul National University
Having a background in fluid mechanics and cell mechanics, Professor Ryu has research interests in investigating multiscale flow systems and biological systems based on interdisciplinary experimental approaches.
Research interests in flow systems include 1) interfacial dynamics of bubble, drop and foam, 2) fluid flow at finite Reynolds numbers, 3) microfluidics, 4) fluid dynamics of microorganisms, and 5) flow-system-based sustainable energy technology.
Research interests in bio systems include 1) calcium-powered cell motility and its biomimetic application, 2) mechanobiology of stem cell differentiation, and 3) cellular mechanics of cancer cells.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA: Assistant Professor, 2011 - Present
- Brown University Providence, RI, USA: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Engineering, 2009 - 2011
- Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research Cambridge, MA, USA: Graduate Research Assistant, 2004 - 2009
- Agency for Defense Development, Daejeon, Korea: Researcher, 2001 - 2004
- Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company, Kunsan, Korea: Assistant Manager, 1999 - 2001
- Seoul National University Institute of Advanced Machinery and Design, Seoul, Korea: Graduate Research Assistant, 1997 - 1999
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Ryu, S. & Franck, C. (2011) In situ Hydrodynamic Lateral Force Calibration of AFM Colloidal Probes. Langmuir, 27, 13390-13399.
- Ryu, S. & Matsudaira, P. (2010) A Drag Correlation for a Nonporous Sphere Steadily Approaching an Impermeable Plane at Finite Reynolds Numbers. Chemical Engineering Science 65, 4913-4915.
- Nagai, M., Ryu, S., Thorsen, T., Matsudaira, P. & Fujita, H. (2010) Chemical Control of Vorticella Bioactuator Using Microfluidics. Lab on a Chip 10, 1574- 1578.
- Ryu, S. & Matsudaira, P. (2010) Unsteady Motion, Finite Reynolds Numbers and Wall Effect on Vorticella convallaria Contribute Contraction Force Greater than the Stokes Drag. Biophysical Journal 98, 2574-2581.
- Pepper, R. E., Roper, M., Ryu, S., Matsudaira, P. & Stone, H. A. (2010) Nearby Boundaries Create Eddies near Microscopic Filter Feeders. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 7, 851-862.
- Kim, S., Ryu, S. & Yoo, J. Y. (2001) Performance Characteristics of a V-type Probe Developed for Wall Vorticity Measurement. Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers B, 25(4), 514-522.
- Ryu, S., Kim, S. & Yoo, J. Y. (2001) Correlations ofWall Vorticity and Streamwise Velocity Fluctuations in a Turbulent Boundary Layer. Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers B, 25(4), 523-532.