Amy Schmidt, Ph.D.
213 L.W. Chase Hall
Lincoln: East Campus
Personal Links:• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• Water Issues
Professional Memberships:• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
• National Pork Board Environment Committee
• Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Ph.D., In Biological Engineering from Mississippi State University, 2010
- M.S., In Agricultural Engineering from Iowa State University, 1999
- B.S., In Agricultural Engineering from Iowa State University, 1997
- Licensed Professional Engineer, Mississippi
- 30% Extension
- 40% Research
- 30% Animal Science
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Nutrients fate and transport
- Pathogen fate and transport
- Water quality
Honors and Awards
- Nebraska Pork Producers Association Outstanding Pork Service Award - Producer Outreach
- Leadership Resources Success Award
- Epsilon Sigma Phi Early Career Service State Award
- Mississippi State University State Pride Award for Faculty Excellence
- ASAE Outstanding Paper Award
- Epsilon Sigma Phi State Team Award
- Schmidt, A.M. 2016. Emergency Holding Pond Management During Wet Weather. In cooperation with the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ). Special guidance document distributed via Nebraska Extension and the NDEQ.
- Mun, S., Sassenrath, G.F., Schmidt, A., Lee, N., Wadsworth, M.C., Rice, B., Corbitt, J., Schneider, J.M., Tagert, M.L.M., Pote, J.W., Prabhu, R. 2015. Uncertainty analysis of an irrigation scheduling model for water management in crop production. Agricultural Water Management (155): 100-112.
- Shapiro, C., and Schmidt, A.M. 2015. Determining crop available nutrients from manure. 2015. Nebraska Extension NebGuide G1335.
- Watson, A.K., A.M. Schmidt, T. Klopfenstein, and G. Erickson. 2015. Anaerobic digestion offeedlot manure. 2015 Beef Cattle Report, pp. 115-116.
- Falkenberg, S.M., A.M. Schmidt, T.B. Schmidt, N.C. Burdick, J.O. Buntyn, J.W. Dailey, R.D. Randel, and J.A. Carroll. 2012. Analysis of the optimal temporal sampling frequency to evaluate mean temperature response in cattle challenged with Lipopolysaccharide. J. Thermal Biology.
- Sassenrath, G.F., J. Schneider, and A.M. Schmidt. 2012. Parameterization of standard equations for determining daily evapotranspiration in the humid growing environment of the Mid-South. J. Irrigation and Drainage Research. (In review)
- Schmidt, A.M., J.D. Davis, J.L. Purswell, and A.S. Kiess. 2011. Effect of moisture content on the heating profile in composted broiler litter. Transactions of the ASABE. (In review)
- Schmidt, A.M., J.D. Davis, J.L. Purswell, Z. Fan, and A.S. Kiess. 2011. Analysis of the heating profile inwindrowed broiler litter. J Poultry Sci. (In review)
- Ni, J.Q, A.J. Heber, T.T. Lim, P.C. Tao, and A.M. Schmidt. 2008. Methane and carbon dioxide emission from two pig finishing barns. J. Environ. Qual. 37:2001-2011.
- Heber, A.J., J.Q. Ni, T.T. Lim, A.M. Schmidt, J.A. Koziel, P.C. Tao, D.B. Beasley, S.J. Hoff, R.E. Nicolai, L.D. Jacobson, and Y. Zhang. 2006. Quality assured measurements of animal building emissions: Gas concentrations. AWMA Journal 56:1472-1483.
- Heber, A.J., T.T. Lim, J.Q. Ni, P.C. Tao, A.M. Schmidt, J.A. Koziel, S.J. Hoff, L.D. Jacobson, Y. Zhang, and G.B. Baughman. 2006. Quality assured measurements of animal building emissions: Particulate matter concentrations. AWMA Journal 56:1642-1648.
- Fulhage, C., A. Schmidt, and J. Lory. 2005. Long Term Sludge and Nutrient Accumulation in Swine Lagoons – A Case Study. 2005 Animal Waste Management Symposium. North Carolina State University Animal and Poultry Waste Management Center. Raleigh, North Carolina. October 5-7, 2005.
- Lory, J., R. Massey, J. Zulovich, J. Hoehne, A. Schmidt, M. Shannon, and C. Fulhage. 2004. An assessment of nitrogen-based manure application rates on 39 US swine operations. J. Environ. Qual. 33:1106-1113.
- Lory, J., R. Massey, J. Zulovich, J. Hoehne, A. Schmidt, M. Shannon, and C. Fulhage. 2004. Feasibility and costs of phosphorus application limits on 39 US swine operations. J. Environ. Qual. 33:1114-1123.
- Schmidt, A.M., and J. Barrett. 2012. Testing Drinking Water and Understanding Analyses. Mississippi State University Extension Service. (In review).
- Schmidt, A.M. 2011. Chemigation (Revision). Mississippi State University Extension Service. Publication number 1551.
- Schmidt, A.M. 2011. Irrigation Facts and Figures (Revision). Mississippi State University Extension Service. Publication number F 804.
- Schmidt, A.M., G. Sassenrath, J. Crumpton, and B. Rice. 2011. Water Conservation and Water Management Website. www.agwater.msucares.com.
- Oldham, L., and A. Schmidt. 2011. Operating an Environmentally Compatible Livestock Operation. Mississippi State University Extension Service. Publication number 2658.
- Sassenrath, G.F., D.K. Fisher, H.C. Pringle, S. Samson, and A.M. Schmidt. 2010. Irrigation Scheduling for Humid Environments – Improving Water Management, Crop Performance and Economic Return. USDA-ARS Crop Production Systems Fact Sheet No. 2010-003. November 2010.