Sibel Irmak, PhD
Lincoln: East Campus
218 L.W. Chase Hall
Professional Memberships:• American Chemical Society
• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
• Association of Turkish University Women
- Ph.D., Chemistry, Cukurova University, Adana/Turkey
- M.S., Chemistry, Cukurova University, Adana/Turkey
- B.S., Chemistry, Cukurova University, Adana/Turkey
- 100% Research
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Production of biofuels, bioproducts and green chemicals from lignocellulosic biomass
- Gasification of lignocellulosic biomass in aqueous media
- Developing catalysts for green synthesis and biomass conversion using nanotechnological approaches
- Extraction, purification and identification of bioactive compounds from various sources
- Advanced oxidation processes for remediation of wastewater
Honors and Awards
- NZFUW/Daphne Purves Award presented by International Federation of University Women, 2000.
- TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) Encouragement Award for International Publications.
- Cukurova University International Publications Encouragement Award (BEDEK).
- B.S. Graduated in Honors, first rank in the class, 1997.
- Teaching Certificate (Faculty of Education, Cukurova University, Turkey), 1997.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Irmak, S., B. Meryemoglu, B. K. Ozsel, A. Hasanoglu, and O. Erbatur. 2015. Improving activity of Pt supported metal catalysts by changing reduction method of Pt precursor for hydrogen production from biomass. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40:14826-14832.
- Huang, X., S. Irmak, Y. F. Lu, I. Pipinos, G. Casale, and J. Subbiah. 2015. Spontaneous and coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy of human gastrocnemius muscle biopsies in CH-stretching region for discrimination of peripheral artery disease. Biomedical Optics Express 6:2766-2777.
- Kaya, B., S. Irmak, A. Hasanoğlu, and O. Erbatur. 2015. Developing Pt based bimetallic and trimetallic carbon supported catalysts for aqueous-phase reforming of biomass-derived compounds. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40:3849-3858.
- Irmak, S., B. Meryemoğlu, A. Hasanoğlu, and O. Erbatur. 2015. Does reduced or non-reduced biomass feed produce more gas in aqueous-phase reforming process? Fuel 139:160-163.
- Kaya, B., S. Irmak, A. Hasanoğlu, and O. Erbatur. 2014. Evaluation of various carbon materials supported Pt catalysts for aqueous-phase reforming of lignocellulosic biomass hydrolysate. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39:10135-10140.
- Meryemoğlu, B., A. Hasanoğlu, S. Irmak, and O. Erbatur. 2014. Biofuel production by liquefaction of kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) biomass. Bioresource Technology 151:278-283.
- Meryemoğlu, B., S. Irmak, A. Hasanoğlu, O. Erbatur, and B. Kaya. 2014. Influence of particle size of support on reforming activity and selectivity of activated carbon supported platinum catalyst in APR. Fuel 134:354-357.
- Irmak, S., M. Kurtuluş, A. Hasanoğlu (Hesenov), and O. Erbatur. 2013. Gasification efficiencies of cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin fractions of biomass in aqueous media by using Pt on activated carbon catalyst. Biomass and Bioenergy 49:102-108.
- Meryemoglu, B., A. Hesenov, S. Irmak, O.M. Atanur, and O. Erbatur. 2010. Aqueous-phase reforming of biomass using various types of supported precious metal and raney-nickel catalysts for hydrogen production. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35:12580-12587.
- Öztürk, İ., S. Irmak, A. Hesenov, and O. Erbatur. 2010. Hydrolysis of kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) stems by catalytical thermal treatment in subcritical water. Biomass and Bioenergy 34:1578-1585.
- Irmak, S. and İ. Öztürk. 2010. Hydrogen rich gas production by thermocatalytic decomposition of kenaf biomass. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35:5312-5317.
- Irmak, S., K. Solakyildirim, A. Hesenov, and O. Erbatur. 2010. Study on the stability of supercritical fluid extracted Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) essential oil. Journal of Analytical Chemistry 65:899-906.
- Jonnala, R. S., S. Irmak, F. MacRitchie, and S. R. Bean. 2010. Phenolics in the bran of waxy wheat and triticale lines. Journal of Cereal Science 52:509-515.
- Dunford, N.T., S. Irmak, and R.S. Jonnala. 2010. Pressurised solvent extraction of policosanol from wheat straw, germ and bran. Food Chemistry 119:1246-1249.
- Dunford, N.T., S. Irmak, and R.S. Jonnala. 2009. Effect of the solvent type and temperature on phytosterol contents and compositions of wheat straw, bran, and germ extracts. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 57:10608-10611.
- Irmak, S., R.S. Jonnala, and F. MacRitchie. 2008. Effect of genetic variation on phenolic acid and policosanol contents of Pegaso wheat lines. Journal of Cereal Science 48:20-26.
- Irmak, S., H.A. Naeem, G.L. Lookhart, and F. MacRitchie. 2008. Effect of heat stress on wheat proteins during kernel development in wheat near-isogenic lines differing at Glu-D1, Journal of Cereal Science 48:513-516.
- Irmak, S., N.T. Dunford, S.E. Gilliland, V. Banskalieva, and M. Eisenmenger. 2006. Biocatalysis of linoleic acid to conjugated linoleic acid. Lipids 41:771-776.
- Irmak, S., N.T. Dunford, and J. Milligan. 2006. Policosanol contents of beeswax, sugar cane and wheat extracts. Food Chemistry 95:312-318.
- Irmak, S., H.I. Yavuz, and O. Erbatur. 2006. Degradation of 4-chloro-2-methylphenol in aqueous solution by electro-Fenton and photoelectro-Fenton processes. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 63:243-248.
- Irmak, S., O. Erbatur, and E. Kuşvuran. 2006. Degradation of alkylphenolic compounds in aqueous media by Fenton and ultraviolet induced Fenton reaction, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 15:1601-1606.
- Irmak, S. and N.T. Dunford. 2005. Policosanol contents and compositions of wheat bran varieties. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 53:5583-5586.
- Irmak, S., O. Erbatur, and A. Akgerman. 2005. Decomposition of 17β-estradiol and bisphenol-A in aqueous medium by using ozone and ozone/UV techniques. Journal of Hazardous Materials 126:54-62.
- Kuşvuran, E., S. Irmak, H. I. Yavuz, A. Samil, and O. Erbatur. 2005. Comparison of treatment methods efficiency on decolorization and mineralization of reactive black 5 azo dye. Journal of Hazardous Materials 119:109-116.
- Irmak, S., E. Kuşvuran, and O. Erbatur. 2004. Degradation of 4-chloro-2-methylphenol in aqueous solution by UV irradiation in the presence of titanium dioxide. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 54:85-91.
- Kuşvuran, E., O. Gulnaz, S. Irmak, O.M. Atanur, H.I. Yavuz, and O. Erbatur. 2004. Comparison of several advanced oxidation processes for the decolorization of reactive red 120 azo dye in aqueous solution. Journal of Hazardous Materials 109:85-93.
- Meryemoğlu, B., A. Hasanoğlu, B. Kaya, S. Irmak, and O. Erbatur. 2014. Hydrogen production from aqueous-phase reforming of sorghum biomass: An application of the response surface methodology. Renewable Energy 62:535-541.
- Meryemoglu, B., S. Irmak, A. Hesenov, and O. Erbatur. 2012. Preparation of activated carbon supported Pt catalysts and optimization of their catalytic activities for hydrogen gas production from the hydrothermal treatment of biomass-derived compounds. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37:17844-17852.
- Kaya, B., S. Irmak, A. Hesenov, O. Erbatur, and C. Erkey. 2012. Effect of support materials on supported platinum catalyst prepared using a supercritical fluid deposition technique and their catalytic performance for hydrogen-rich gas production from lignocellulosic biomass. Bioresource Technology 123:723-726.
- Meryemoglu, B., B. Kaya, S. Irmak, A. Hesenov, and O. Erbatur. 2012. Comparison of batch aqueous-phase reforming of glycerol and lignocellulosic biomass hydrolysate. Fuel 97:241-244.
- Naeem, H.A., D. Paulon, S. Irmak, and F. MacRitchie. 2012. Developmental and environmental effects on the assembly of glutenin polymers and the impact on grain quality of wheat. Journal of Cereal Science 56:51-57.
- Hesenov, A., H. Kınık, G. Puli, B. Gözmen, S. Irmak, and O. Erbatur. 2011. Electrolysis of coal slurries to produce hydrogen gas: Relationship between CO2 and H2 formation. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36:5361-5368.
- Irmak S. and O. Erbatur, 2008. "Additives for Environmentally-Compatible Active Food Packaging" in Environmentally-Compatible Food Packaging, ed. Emo Chiellini, Woodhead Publishing, Abington, Cambridge, 263-293.
- Irmak, S. and O. Erbatur, 2011. “Gasification of Biomass in Aqueous Media” in Biomass Crops: Production, Energy and the Environment, ed. Alfred P. Haggerty, Nova Science Publishers, NY, 153-164.