Professor - Graduate Chair Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Iowa
- B.Tech., Chemical Engineering, Nagpur University, India
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Ultrasound Medicine and Biology
- Protein Engineering and Design
- Immunosorbents with Improved Binding Efficiency and Method of Manufacture. 1999. U.S. Serial No. 07/614,663 (W.H. Velander and A. Subramanian).
- Method of Coupling Ligands onto Supports and Products Produced Therefrom. U.S. Serial No. 9480/81-1551, 49451USA2A (W.H. Velander, C. Orthner and A. Subramanian).
About Anuradha Subramanian
- 2010-Present - Professor of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering,
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2005-2010 - Associate Professor of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering,
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2001-2005 - Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering,
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 1996-2001 - Assistant Professor of Biosystems Engineering,
University of Minnesota, St. Paul
- Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program (PRMRP), a Department of Defense (DoD) Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP), Discovery Award Review – Arthritis, July 31st 2012
- NIH, Editorial Review Board for IMST12, July 24th 2012
- NIH SBIR Panel Review Member MOSS-S(10) B, July 9th 2012
- NIH K Review (Training Grants) Reviewer June 25th 2012
- NIH F14 Bioengineering & Biotechnology Fellowship Panel, March 31, 2011
- NIH-RC1 Grant Applications. Mail-in-Reviewer. June 2009
- American Institute of Biological Sciences “Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine-2008”, Dec 10-11 2008, Panel Member.
- NSF “Separations and purification panel”, May 8 2007
- NIH “Nanoscience and nanotechnology in biology and medicine”, July 8-9, 2007
- NIH “Nanoscience and nanotechnology in biology and medicine”, February 22-23 2007
- NIH “Nanoscience and nanotechnology in biology and medicine”, November 14-15, 2005
- NIH, Muscoskeletal Tissue Engineering Panel, July 11-12, 2005
- Department Chair Search Committee, Chemical Engineering, 2011-2012
- College level Biomedical Engineering Oversight Committee, 2006-2008
- College level Biomedical Engineering Search Committee, 2007-2008
- Participated in college-level recruiting activities, 2004-present
- Rational synthesis of porous zirconia particles with hierarchical pore size and pore architecture
- Rational de-novo synthesis of genes from synthetic oligonucleotides
- Development of biomimetic endothelial surfaces
- Synthesis of in-situ albumin binding surfaces
- Effect of ultrasound on cellular activity
- Role of matrix architecture
- Guha Thakurta S. and Subramanian, A. Fabrication of dense, uniform aminosilane monolayers: A platform for protein or ligand immobilization. Colloids and Surfaces A. DOI. 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2012.08.049.
- Noriega, S.E., Hasanova, G. I. and Subramanian, A. The Effect of Ultrasound Stimulation on the Cytoskeletal Organization of Chondrocytes Seeded In 3D Matrices. Cells Tissues Organs. 2012. DOI: 10.1159/000339772.
- Subramanian, A., Turner, J. A., Budhiraja, G., Guha Thakurta, S., Whitney, N.P. and Nudurupati, S. S. Ultrasonic Bioreactor as a Platform for Studying Cellular Response to Ultrasound. Tissue Engineering. 2012. DOI: 10.1089/ten.tec.2012.0199.
- Subramanian, A. and Kaligotla, H.K. An Analysis of Mass Transport Fluxes In Titania-Based Mesoporous Ceramic Matrices. Powder Technology. 2012. DOI/10.1016/j.powtec.2012.08.007.
- Whitney, N. P., Lamb, A.C., Louw, T. and Subramanian, A. Integrin-Mediated Mechanotransduction Pathway Of Low-Intensity Continuous Ultrasound In Human Chondrocytes. Ultrasound in Med. & Biol., Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 1734–1743, 2012.
- Guha-Thakurta, S., Viljoen, H.J. and Subramanian, A. Evaluation of the real-time protein adsorption kinetics on albumin-binding surfaces by dynamic in situ spectroscopic ellipsometry. Thin Solid Films 520 (2012) 2200–2207.
- Guha-Thakurta, S., Miller, R. and Subramanian, A. Adherence of platelets to in situ albumin-binding surfaces under flow conditions: role of surface-adsorbed albumin. Biomed. Mater. 7 (2012) 045007 (10pp) doi:10.1088/1748-6041/7/4/045007.
- Louw, T., Whitney, S., Subramanian, A. and Viljoen, H.J. Forced wave motion with internal and boundary damping, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 014702 (2012); doi: 10.1063/1.3674316.
- Noriega, S.E., Budhiraja, G. and Subramanian, A. Remodeling of chromatin under low intensity diffuse ultrasound. International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology 44 (2012) 1331– 1336.
- Noriega, S.E. and Subramanian, A. Chitosan as cell culture scaffold material: consequences of scaffold pretreatment on chondrocyte proliferation, attachment and cytoskeletal organization, International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry, Volume 2011, Article ID 809743, 13 pages. doi:10.1155/2011/809743.
- Kador, K. E. and Subramanian, A. Selective modification of chitosan to enable the formation of chitosan-DNA condensates by electron donator stabilization. International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry, 2011, Volume 2011, Article ID 146419, 11 pages. doi:10.1155/2011/146419.
- Noriega, S, Hasanova, G, Larsen, G.F. and Subramanian, A. Effect of fiber diameter on spreading, proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes on electrospun chitosan matrices. Cells, Tissues and Organs 2010. DOI: 10.1159/000325144.
- Kador, K. E. and Subramanian, A. Sequential Immobilization of recombinant EPCR and thrombomodulin onto Biomedical Grade Polyurethane. Acta Biomaterialia 7 (2011) 2508–2517.
- Hasanova, G., Mamedov, T. and Subramanian, A. A study in the gene expression upon the indirect mechanical stimulation via ultrasound of chondrocytes seeded in scaffolds. J Tissue Eng Regen Med (2011). DOI: 10.1002/term.384.
- Kador, K. E. and Subramanian, A. Controlled and Sequential Immobilization of Proteins onto Biomedical Grade Polyurethane. Journal of Biomaterials Science 22 (2011) 1983–1999. DOI:10.1163/092050610X529191.
- Guha-Thakurta, S. and Subramanian, A. Protein adsorption and platelet response on in-situ albumin binding surfaces. J Mater Sci: Mater Med (2011) 22:137–149. DOI 10.1007/s10856-010-4169-3.
- Guha-Thakurta, S. and Subramanian, A. Coagulation response on in-situ albumin binding surfaces. (Journal of Biomaterial Applications, 2010, first published on September 6, 2010 as doi:10.1177/0885328210377535).
- Skotak, M., Noriega, S., Larsen, G., and Subramanian, A. Electrospun cross-linked gelatin fibers with controlled diameter: The effect of matrix stiffness on proliferative and biosynthetic activity of chondrocytes cultured in vitro. [In Press: Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 2010, published online: 7 SEP 2010, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.3285].
- TerMaat, J. A., Mamedov T.G., Pienaar, E., Whitney, S.E. and Subramanian, A. Automated two-column purification of Iminobiotin and BrdU labeled PCR products for rapid cloning: application to genes synthesized by Polymerase Chain Assembly. J.Chromatographic Science. Vol. 48, pp 1-5, January 2010.
- TerMaat, J.R., Pienaar, E., Whitney, S. E., Mamedov, T. G. and Subramanian. A. Gene synthesis by integrated polymerase chain assembly and PCR amplification using a high speed thermocycler. Journal of Microbiological Methods. (doi:10.1016/j.mimet.2009.09.015).
- Goyal, D. K. and Subramanian, A. In-situ Protein Adsorption Study on Biofunctionalized Surfaces Using Spectroscopic Ellipsometry. Thin Films. 2009. (doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2009.10.110).
- Pattanayak, A. and Subramanian, A. Impact of porogens on the pore characteristics of zirconia particles made by Polymer Induced Colloid Aggregation (PICA) (International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 2009, DOI:10,1111/j.1744-7402.2009.02410.x).
- Pattanayak, A. and Subramanian, A. Production of Meso- and Giga-Porous Zirconia Particles – An Improved Multi-Step Particle Aggregation Process (Powder Technology, 192, 359-366, 2009).
- Mammedov, T.G., Pienaar, E., Whitney. S. E., TerMaat, J. R., Carvill. G., Goliath. R., ,Subramanian,. A. and Viljoena. H. J. A fundamental study of the PCR amplification of GC-rich DNA templates. Comput Biol Chem (2008), doi:10.1016/j.compbiolchem.2008.07.021.
- Skotak, M; Leonov, Alexei P.; Larsen, Gustavo; Noriega, Sandra; Subramanian, Anuradha. Biocompatible and Biodegradable Ultrafine Fibrillar Scaffold Materials for Tissue Engineering by Facile Grafting of L-Lactide onto Chitosan. Biomacromolecules (2008), 9(7), 1902-1908.
- D.K.Goyal, G.K. Pribil, J. A. Woollam, and A. Subramanian. Detection of ultrathin biological films using vacuum ultraviolet spectroscopic ellipsometry. Materials Science and Engineering B 149 (2008) 26–33.
- Brewster, L. P., Washington, C., Brey, E.M., Gassman, A., Subramanian, A., Velander, W.H. and Griesler, H.P. Construction and characterization of a thrombin-resistant designer FGF-based collagen binding domain angiogen. Biomaterials. 29, (2008), 327-336.
- Guha-Thakruta, S and Subramanian, A. Effect of Hydrofluoric Acid in Oxidizing Acid Mixtures on the Hydroxylation of Silicon Surface. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 154 _11_ P136-P146 _2007.
- Hasanova, G., Noriega, S., Turner, J.A. and Subramanian, A. Effect of ultrasound stimulation on the biosynthetic activity of chondrocytes in cell-seeded matrices. In Book of abstract: BIOSURF 2007, Zurich, Switzerland. August 23-29 2007.
- Mammedov, T., Kotera, C., Padhye, N., Viljoen, H. V. and Subramanian, A. “Rational Design of “de-novo” gene synthesis: synthesis of native and deglycosylated endothelial protein C receptor”. J. Biotechnology, 131 (2007) 37-387.
- Parampalli, A., Mowry, M.A., Meagher, M. M. and Subramanian, A. Development of serum-free media in CHO-DG44 cells using central composite design. J.Cytotechnology. 2007. 54, 57-68.
- Noriega, S., Mammedov, T., Turner, J. and Subramanian. Effect of Ultrasound on the growth and proliferation of chondrocytes. Tissue Engineering. Vol 13(3). 2007.
- Subramanian, Anu; Martinez, Blanca; Holm, Jill; Carr, Peter; McNeff, Clayton. A Comparative Study of Monoclonal Antibodies (Mabs) Purified from Cell Culture Supernatant on EDTPA-Modified Zirconia Beads and Protein A-Hyper D Support. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies (2006), 29(4), 471-484.
- Subramanian, Anuradha; Rau, Anand V.; Kaligotla, Hemanth. Surface modification of chitosan for selective surface-protein interaction. Carbohydrate Polymers (2006), 66(3), 321-332.
- Nosal, W. H.; Thompson, D. W.; Tiwald, T. E.; Sarkar, S.; Subramanian, A.; Woollam, J. A. Vacuum ultraviolet optical analysis of spin-cast chitosan films modified by succinic anhydride and glycidyl phenyl ether. Surface and Interface Analysis (2007), 39(9), 747-751.
- Nosal, W. H.; Thompson, D. W.; Sarkar, S.; Subramanian, A.; Woollam, J. A. Quantitative oscillator analysis of IR-optical spectra on spin-cast chitosan films. Spectroscopy (Amsterdam, Netherlands) (2005), 19(5-6), 267-274.
- Nosal, W. H.; Thompson, D. W.; Yan, L.; Sarkar, S.; Subramanian, A.; Woollam, J. A. UV-vis-infrared optical and AFM study of spin-cast chitosan films. Colloids and Surfaces, B: Biointerfaces (2005), 43(3-4), 131-137.
- Nosal, W. H.; Thompson, D. W.; Yan, L.; Sarkar, S.; Subramanian, A.; Woollam, J. A. Infrared optical properties and AFM of spin-cast chitosan films chemically modified with 1,2 Epoxy-3-phenoxy-propane. Colloids and Surfaces, B: Biointerfaces (2005).
- Nosal W H; Thompson D W; Yan L; Sarkar S; Subramanian A; Woollam J A Infrared optical properties and AFM of spin-cast chitosan films chemically modified with 1,2 Epoxy-3-phenoxy-propane. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces (2005), 46(1), 26-31.
- Nosal W H; Thompson D W; Yan L; Sarkar S; Subramanian A; Woollam J A UV-vis-infrared optical and AFM study of spin-cast chitosan films. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces (2005), 43(3-4), 131-7.
- Subramanian, Anuradha; Lin, Hsin-Yi. Crosslinked chitosan: Its physical properties and the effects of matrix stiffness on chondrocyte cell morphology and proliferation. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Part A (2005), 75A(3), 742-753.
- "General Considerations in Affinity Chromatography", Anu Subramanian, Editor D.S.Hage. (in press: 2004, Marcel and Dekker Inc.,).
- "Purification of recombinant proteins by affinity chromatography", Anu Subramanian, Editor D.S.Hage. (in press: 2004, Marcel and Dekker Inc.,).
- "Immunoaffinity Chromatography", in Protocols in Molecular Biology, published by Humana Press Inc., 2001.
- "Immunoaffinity Chromatography", in Affinity Chromatography: Methods and Protocols, published by Humana Press Inc., 2000.
- "Moving to Commercialization: Transgenic Pigs and Food Production", Schook, L.B., Beattie, C.W., Subramanian, A., and Chiapetta, J. International Workshop on Transgenic Animals and Food Production, May 22-24, 1997 (Stockholm, Sweden).
- “Understanding the impact of scaffold topography and, indirect mechanical stimulus on the cellular activity of chondrocyte maintained in scaffolds” June 11, 2008. Wellman Institute of Photomedicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
- “Downstream Processing: Recent Advances in Bioseparations”, Biophex-2004, September 28th, 2004, San Francisco, CA (Invited lecture).
- “Future applications to the adsorption of large biomolecules”, SBCN 2004, International Symposium on BioChromatography, May 5 to 7th 2004, Bordeaux, France (Invited lecture).