Civil - Undergraduate Program
Our goal as faculty advisors is to assist students with their course schedules, university protocol, forms and career options. We have designed our advising methodology, aids and resources to encourage undergraduates to learn the flexibility and choices available in our program and be proactive in taking advantage of options that best fit their abilities, interests, career goals and finances.
*Students on the Lincoln campus can follow any advising packet that was active while they were continuously enrolled. Once an advising packet is picked, the student is strongly advised to follow that particular advising packet until they graduate. For more information on selecting an advising packet, please contact your assigned academic advisor.
Our team of faculty and staff are dedicated to ensuring our students succeed both in and out of the classroom.
Our Civil Engineering program motto is "Continual progress in education": together, our faculty, students and Industry Advisory Board have established specific objectives for guiding our educational improvements. With a University of Nebraska-Lincoln BSCE degree, a few years beyond graduation, alumni will:
- APPLY their solid foundation in civil engineering toward: the practice, advanced degree education, or a broad range of career choices;
- PERFORM technical analysis or design of a complex system, component or process as acting representatives of governmental agencies, private consulting engineering firms, research organizations or industry;
- EXPLAIN engineering concepts accurately and effectively to inform technical and non-technical audiences using appropriate verbal, written, virtual and graphical means;
- APPLY basic project management and business concepts and processes;
- ENGAGE in lifelong learning to foster technical growth, ethical conduct, and practice of professional communication, teamwork and leadership skills;
- ACCOUNT for the impacts of their professional decisions on the quality of life and sustainability; and
- OBTAIN professional licensure in an area of civil engineering practice.
Our Civil Engineering program is regularly reviewed by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Graduation from an ABET-accredited program signifies adequate preparation for entry into civil engineering jobs with the qualifications and education necessary to become a licensed professional expanding opportunities for personal advancement. Accreditation assures that our program has met quality standards set by the leading professional organization, the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively through writing, oral presentations, and other communication methods
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice