- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, August 1999, The Georgia Institute of Technology
- MS in Civil Engineering, December 1995, The Georgia Institute of Technology
- BS in Civil Engineering, December 1990, The Ohio State University
- Curved and skewed concrete and steel bridges: response to service and construction loads
- Force Protection: improving steel and cementitious structural component resistance to blast and impact loads
- Advanced Materials for Structural Engineering: application of high-performance steel and fiber-reinforced polymer materials to bridges and buildings
- Laboratory and Field-Testing of Structures and Structural Health Monitoring
- Advanced Finite Element Modeling
- Advanced and Classical Structural Analysis
- Bridge Engineering and Design
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Steel Design
In the News
July 2010 – July 2012: “The Impact of Marcellus Gas Development on the Rural Transportation Infrastructure,” PSU Marcellus Initiative for Outreach and Research, $57,500. (Co-Principal Investigator)
January 2011 – July 2012: “Testing of Reinforced Concrete Beams,” U.S. Department of the Army (Phase II SBIR for Carlyle Consulting, LLC), $119,559. (Principal Investigator)
January 2011 – July 2012: “Technical Expertise for Reviewing Construction Plans and Actions for a Skewed Steel Bridge,” Creamer-Sanzari Joint Venture, $30,797. (Principal Investigator)
July 2010 – July 2015: “Research, Development, Testing and Evaluation (RDT&E) of Vehicle Anti-Ram Barriers,” Funding Opportunity Number DSPPSP-10-CA-WHA-052110, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security, Physical Security Division, Office of Physical Security Programs, $6,976,672. (Co-Principal Investigator)
July 2012 – Present: “Incremental Sheet Forming,” PSU Applied Research Lab/U.S. Navy, $49,701. (Principal Investigator)
July 2012 – Present: “Rail Bending Test,” Certified Testing, Inc., $4,120. (Principal Investigator)
Kim, W.-S., Laman, J.A. and Linzell, D.G., “Prediction of Concrete Integral Abutment Bridge Unrecoverable Displacements,” American Concrete Institute Andy Scanlon Symposium on Serviceability and Safety of Concrete Structures: From Research to Practice, SP-284-11, 20 pp., March, 2012.
He, X.H., Sheng, X.W., Scanlon, A., Linzell, D.G. and Yu, X.D., “Skewed Concrete Box Girder Bridge Static and Dynamic Testing and Analysis,” Engineering Structures, v39, pp. 38-49, 2012.
Seo, J. and Linzell, D.G., “Horizontally Curved Steel Bridge Seismic Vulnerability Assessment,” Engineering Structures, v34, pp. 21-32, 2012.
Sharafbayani, M., Linzell, D.G. and Chen, C.-C., “Web Plumb Influence on Skewed I-girder, Steel Bridges during Construction,” Bridge Structures, v7, pp. 115-122, 2011.
Nevling, D.L. and Linzell, D.G., “Curved Girder Deformation Prediction Effectiveness using First Order, Linear Geometric Finite Element Models,” ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, v16, n2, pp. 56-61, May 2011.
Seo, J., Linzell, D.G. and Rado, Z., “Computational and Experimental Modification of Portable Sign Structure Design Following NCHRP 350 Criteria,” International Journal of Crashworthiness, v16, n2, pp. 111-116, April 2011.