The namesake for The Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction, Charles Durham, died Saturday, April 5, 2008 in Omaha at the age of 90. The third-generation civil engineer grew up in Ames, Iowa and graduated from Iowa State University. He joined Omaha's Henningson Engineering and was active in its growth, becoming president in 1950 when it was renamed Henningson, Durham & Richardson, Inc.
Under Durham's leadership, the company later known as HDR Inc., grew to 1,700 employees with locations throughout the world. The highly-regarded architecture, engineering and consulting (A/E/C) firm has specialized in public works projects including military facilities and hospitals.
After selling the company in 1983, Durham and his wife, Margre, focused on charitable giving that greatly benefits the region; they provided funding for the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the Durham Western Heritage Museum, and The Durham School, part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Engineering.
Dean David H. Allen and the university engineering community extend condolences to the family of this generous and capable leader.