In 2005, an agreement was finalized between the University of Nebraska Board of Regents and the University of Nebraska Foundation that provided a significant endowment for The Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction. In addition to receiving state funding, the school was provided a Durham Board of Institutional Oversight as permanent stewards of this landmark program and the use of endowment funds. This board meets quarterly to discuss school news and establish strategic plans.
The mission of The Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction is to provide quality education for design and construction professionals and advance industrial innovation through research and technology transfer.
School Namesake: Charles W. Durham
The namesake for The Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction, Charles Durham, died in 2008 in Omaha at age 90. The third-generation civil engineer grew up in Ames, Iowa and graduated from Iowa State University. He joined Omaha's Henningson Engineering and was active in its growth, becoming president in 1950 when it was renamed Henningson, Durham & Richardson, Inc.
Under Durham's leadership, the company later known as HDR Inc., grew to 1,700 employees with locations throughout the world. The highly regarded architecture, engineering and consulting (A/E/C) firm has specialized in public works projects, including military facilities and hospitals.
After selling the company in 1983, Durham and his wife, Margre, focused on charitable giving that greatly benefits the region. They have provided generous funding to the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the Durham Western Heritage Museum, and The Durham School.
University of Nebraska Foundation story: http://stories.nufoundation.org/node/546
University of Nebraska Medical Center story: http://app1.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/todaysite/sitefiles/today_full.cfm?match=4411