- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- M.A.E., Architectural Engineering, University of Nebraska
- B.S., Architectural Engineering, University of Nebraska
Dr. Yuill has won the 2017 Outstanding Faculty Award from the Architectural Engineering Student Leadership and Advisory Committee (AESLAC). This award is voted upon by current students in Architectural Engineering.
- High performance buildings
- Energy conservation through smart buildings
- Fault Detection and Diagnostics (FDD) in HVAC systems
- Performance of FDD
- HVAC Controls
- Ventilation and indoor air quality
- Thermal comfort inference through wearable devices
- Building energy modeling
About David Yuill
David Yuill joined the faculty of the Durham School in 2014. He previously spent several years in industry, doing retro-commissioning, HVAC system design, and research. He worked at two large architecture/engineering firms, doing mechanical system design work on several high-profile buildings, including the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, The Getty Villa of the J. Paul Getty Museum, and the DeBartolo Performing Arts Centre at Notre Dame. From 2003-2009 Dr. Yuill was vice-president, and later president, of an engineering consulting company that specialized in research. At that company he won and managed over $600k of research projects. During this time he was also a visiting lecturer at the University of Nebraska.
Before becoming an engineer, Dr. Yuill worked as a musician for several years and as a hunting guide in Canada. He has traveled extensively in Africa, Europe and Asia. He is the proud father of two amazing daughters.
- ASHRAE Journal
- ASHRAE Transactions
- Architectural Engineering Institute Conference Proceedings
- International Journal of Refrigeration
- International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference Proceedings
- Journal of Architectural Engineering (ASCE)
Professional Organization Activity
- Chair, ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals Committee, 2013-present
- Member, ASHRAE Handbook Committee, 2007-present
- Member, ASHRAE Technical Committees (recurring, 2004-present):
- ANSI/ASHRAE Standards Project Committees:
Vice-chair, Guideline 2 – Engineering Analysis of Experimental Data, 2009-2010
Vice-chair, Standard 207p – Laboratory Method of Test of Fault Detection and Diagnostics Applied to Commercial Air-Cooled Packaged Systems, 2012-present
Member, Standard 41.3 – Standard Methods for Pressure Measurement, 2006-2014
Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Mechanical Engineering
- Investigation of Airside Fouling of Outdoor Heat Exchangers
- Fault Detection and Diagnosis (FDD) Methods for Supermarkets
- Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Currently Utilized Diagnostic Protocols
- Development of an Evaluation System for Fault Detection and Diagnosis Tools Applied to Vapor Compression Air-Conditioning Systems
- Test Methods for Evaluating Fault Detection and Diagnostic Systems
- Diagnostic Protocol Evaluator
- Development of an Accurate Feed-Forward Temperature Control Tankless Water Heater
- Multiple Space Effects on Ventilation Efficiency in Standard 62.1
- A Validation Study of the Air-Handling System Models in EnergyPlus
- Western Power Grid Peak Demand Reduction Program
- Development of a Fan Airflow Station
- Immune Buildings
- Improvement of Laboratory Exhaust Fan Systems
- Development of a Field Procedure to Measure the Airtightness of Wall Construction Elements in Houses
- A study of Radon Concentrations in Residential Sewer Connections
- A Study of Radon Concentrations in Rural Manitoba
- Investigation of Indoor Air Quality, Air Infiltration Rates and Air Tightness of a 78-House Sample
Honors and Awards
- 2016 ASHRAE New Investigator Award
- ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award
- Architectural Engineering 2008 Teaching Award
- Student Paper Competition, 2nd Place – International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference 2012
- ASHRAE Graduate Fellowship
- Outstanding Graduating Senior 2001 – University of Nebraska
- Dean’s List – University of Nebraska
- Chancellor’s List – University of Nebraska
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Yuill, D.P. and J.E. Braun. 2017. A figure of merit for overall performance and value of AFDD tools. International Journal of Refrigeration, 74 (2017): 649-659.
- Yuill, D.P. and J.E. Braun. 2016. Effect of the distribution of faults and operating conditions on AFDD performance evaluations. Applied Thermal Engineering, 106 (2016): 1329-1336.
Mehrabi, M. and D.P. Yuill. 2016. Normalized effect of condenser fouling and refrigerant charge on performance of vapor compression air conditioning systems. Proceedings of 16th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, Paper 2465, West Lafayette, July 2016.
Yuill, D.P. and J.E. Braun. 2016. A Prediction Method for Overall Economic Value of Fault Detection and Diagnostic Tools for Rooftop and Split Systems. Proceedings of 16th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, Paper 2364, West Lafayette, July 2016.
Yuill, D.P., H. Cheung and J.E. Braun. 2014. Validation of a Fault-Modeling Equipped Vapor Compression System Model Using a Fault Detection and Diagnostics Evaluation Tool. Proceedings of 15th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, Paper 2606, West Lafayette, July 2014.
- Yuill, D.P., H. Cheung and J.E. Braun. 2014. Evaluation of Fault Detection and Diagnostics Tools by Simulation Results of Multiple Vapor Compression Systems. Proceedings of 15th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, Paper 2605, West Lafayette, July 2014.
- Yuill, D.P. and J.E. Braun. 2013. Evaluating the performance of FDD protocols applied to air-cooled unitary air-conditioning equipment. HVAC&R Research, Vol. 19, Issue 7.
- Yang, H., H. Li and D.P. Yuill. 2013. A Self-Validation Method for Regression Models of Unitary HVAC Equipment Based on Manufacturers’ Data. HVAC&R Research, Vol. 19, Issue 2.
- Yuill, D.P., G.K. Yuill and A.H. Coward. 2012. Experimental validation of the multiple-zone system ventilation efficiency equation of ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.1 (1276-RP). HVAC&R Research, Vol. 18, Issue 3.
- Yuill, D.P. and J.E. Braun. 2012. Evaluating Fault Detection and Diagnostics Protocols Applied to Air-cooled Vapor Compression Air-conditioners. Proceedings of 14th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, Paper 2470, West Lafayette, July 2012.
- Yuill, D.P., A.H. Coward and G.P. Henze. 2010. Performance Comparison of Control Methods for Tankless Water Heaters. HVAC&R Research, Vol. 16, Issue 5.
- Henze, G.P., D.P. Yuill and A.H. Coward. 2009. Development of a Model Predictive Controller for Tankless Water Heaters. HVAC&R Research, Volume 15, Issue 1. (Top-ten most cited article of 2009-2010).
- Yuill, D.P, A.H. Coward, and G.K. Yuill. 2008. Measurement and Analysis of Vitiation of Secondary Air in Air Distribution Systems (1276-RP). HVAC&R Research, Volume 14, Issue 3.
- Wang G., M. Liu, Y. Cui, and D. Yuill. 2004. Retrofit of Constant Speed Fan Laboratory Exhaust Systems Using Multi-stack and Variable Speed Drive Techniques. ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 126, Issue 1.
- Liu, M., G. Wang, Y. Cui, and D. Yuill. 2003. Optimal System Design and Control of Constant Air Volume Exhaust Systems. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium of HVAC, Beijing, China, October 9-11, 2003.
- Yuill, D.P, N. Redmann, and M. Liu. 2003. Development of a Fan Airflow Station for Airflow Control in VAV Systems. Proceedings of ASME Solar Energy Conference, ISEC 2003, Kohala Coast, Hawaii, March 15-18, 2003.
- Yuill, D.P., 2016, Evaluating the Performance of Automated Fault Detection and Diagnosis Tools, in Q. Zhang, S.E. Li, and K. Deng (eds.), Automotive Air Conditioning. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Yuill, D.P. and J.E. Braun, 2015, Evaluating performance of FDD for unitary systems, in B. Capehart and M. Brambley (eds.), Automated Diagnostics for Facility Equipment, Systems and Whole Buildings, Fairmont Press, Lilburn, GA.
- 2013 ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals, contributor to Chapter 16 – Ventilation and Infiltration and to Chapter 36 – Measurement and Instruments. ASHRAE, Atlanta, GA.
- 2009 ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals, contributor to Chapter 36 – Measurement and Instruments, ASHRAE, Atlanta, GA.
- FDD Evaluator 1.0 (2013).
- FDD Evaluator 2.0 (2016): http://purdue.edu/FDDevaluator