Yuebin YuAssistant Professor of Architectural Engineering
• American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers
• International Building Performance Simulation Association
• Building Information Modeling
• Editorial Member, Frontiers In Mechanical Engineering
• Editorial Member, Energy Efficiency
- Ph.D. - Building Performance and Diagnostics, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.S. - Architectural Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
a. Electrical and computer science and engineering, data science, modeling, simulation and control of cyber-physical systems; or
b. Fundamental thermal science, applied mathematics, fluid dynamics, HVAC systems, or related areas.
- Automated Continuous Commissioning and Advanced Control
- Building Systems Integration
- Sustainable and Cascaded Building Energy System
- Virtual Evaluation of Built Environment with Computational Fluid dynamics
About Yuebin Yu
Dr. Yuebin Yu's main field is smart building technology and sustainable energy system development, including automated continuous commissioning and advanced controls, web-based fault detection and diagnosis, virtual sensing and metering, cascaded energy systems with active utilization of passive technologies, model-based built environment evaluation. Dr. Yu graduated with a Ph.D. degree from Carnegie Mellon University. During his study at CMU, Dr. Yu has attended multiple government and industrial funded projects.
He has published more than 30 journal articles and more than 10 peer reviewed conference papers. Dr. Yu is a member of ASME, ASHRAE, and IBPSA. He is an active and voting member in the Technical Committee 7.5 for Smart Building Systems and the sub-committee chair of Fault Detection and Diagnostics in ASHRAE. He participated in the revision of ASHRAE Handbook on Fault Detection and Diagnostics and Energy Estimating and Modeling Methods. Before joining University of Nebraska-Lincoln, he had five years working experience including as a VAV product manager and a manager of engineering.
- Assistant Professor, Durham School of A/E and Construction
University of Nebraska, 2012-present
- VAV Product Manager, Trox Air Conditioning Components Co., Ltd (China), 2005 - 2006
- Manager of Engineering Department, Guangzhou Refrigeration Equipment Institute (China), 1999 - 2000
- AE-4120 Energy System-II
- MENG-4200 Heat Transfer
- AE-8940 Special Topics in AE
- 48722 Building Performance Modeling (Teaching Assistant, Carnegie Mellon University)
Honors and Awards
- Research Fellow, "Research Development Fellows Program", 2013-2014
- "Study on Indoor Environment Influence Mechanism and Integrated Control Techniques of Residential Building in South China", Certified by National Education Committee of China
- Excellent Graduate of Hunan Province (Hunan University)
- PI: Yu, Y. Co-PI: Yuill, D. "Fault Detection and Diagnostic (FDD) Methods for Supermarkets- Phase I". $ 144,250, ASHRAE.
- PI: Yu, Y. "A Novel Hybrid Framework on Improving Sensing and Control for Energy Efficient Buildings". $ 39,776, NSF - FirstAward.
- PI: Lau, J. Co-PI: Yu, Y. "Active Mechanisms for Enhancing Heat and Mass Transfer in Sorption Fluids". $ 143,168, ASHRAE.
- PI: Yu, Y. "Coupling Phase Change Material and Active Heat Transfer for Free Energy". $ 9,900. UNL-Layman Award.
- PI: Yu, Y. "Construction of Advanced Smart Buildings Laboratory". $ 25,000. UNL-COE.
- Investigator, "Advanced, Integrated Control for Building Operations to Achieve 40% Energy Savings". $ 1,773,578.00, with Siemens Corporate Research. U.S. DOE, award DE-EE0003843. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator, "50% and 80% Reductions Energy Consumption for a U.S. Army Battalion Headquarters Building". $ 12,000.00, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, contract W9132T-10-D-0002 DO 0003, sub-contract with The PERTAN Group. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator, "Children's Community Pediatrics/GIL Medical Office Environment Study". Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator and project leader, industry funded Continuous Commissioning on multiple commercial buildings.
- Ye, Y., and Yu, Y. 2017. Modeling and Control in Air-conditioning Systems, Springer Berlin Heidelberg. ISBN: 978-3-662-53311-6 (Print) 978-3-662-53313-0 (Online). DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-53313-0.
- Yoon, S. & Yu, Y*. (2016). Extended virtual in-situ calibration method in building systems using Bayesian inference. Automation in Construction. Accepted.
- Wang, J., Zhang, Q., & Yu, Y*. (2016). An advanced control of hybrid cooling technology for telecommunication base stations. Energy and Buildings 133 (2016): 172-184. pdf download
- Woradechjumroen, D., Li, H., and Yu, Y*. "Soft-repair technique for solving inherent oversizing effect on multiple rooftop units in commercial buildings." Building and Environment 108 (2016): 47-62.
- Ling, L., Zhang, Q., Yu, Y.*, & Liao, S. (2016). Experimental investigation on the thermal performance of water cooled multi-split heat pipe system (MSHPS) for space cooling in modular data centers. Applied Thermal Engineering, 107, 591-601.
- Shen, Z., Yu, Y.*, Lau, J. Experimental Setup and Methodology on Active Mechanisms for Enhancing Heat and Mass Transfer in Sorption Fluids- RP 1462. ASHRAE Transaction, Technical Paper, ST-16-013 (RP-1462).
- Ling, L., Zhang, Q., Yu, Y.*, Liao, S., & Sha, Z. (2016). Experimental study on the thermal characteristics of micro channel separate heat pipe respect to different filling ratio. Applied Thermal Engineering, 102, 375-382. pdf download
- Yu, Y.*, Niu, F., Guo, H. A., & Woradechjumroen, D. (2016). A thermo-activated wall for load reduction and supplementary cooling with free to low-cost thermal water. Energy, 99, 250-265. pdf download
- Yao, Y., Yu, Y., & Zhu, Z. (2016). Experimental investigations on surface vapor pressure models for LiCl–CaCl2 desiccant solutions. Solar Energy,126, 1-13.
- Niu, F., & Yu, Y.* (2016). Location and optimization analysis of capillary tube network embedded in active tuning building wall. Energy, 97, 36-45.
- Yu, Y.*, & Li, H. (2015). Virtual in-situ calibration method in building systems. Automation in Construction, 59, 59-67.
- Ling, L., Zhang, Q., Yu, Y.*, Wu, Y., & Liao, S. (2015). Study on thermal performance of micro-channel separate heat pipe for telecommunication stations: Experiment and simulation. International Journal of Refrigeration,59, 198-209.
- Woradechjumroen, D., Yu, Y.*, & Li, H. (2016). Virtual partition surface temperature sensor based on linear parametric model. Applied Energy, 162, 1323-1335.
- Yu, Y.*, Woradechjumroen, D., & Yu, D. (2014). Virtual surface temperature sensor for multi-zone commercial buildings. Energy Procedia, 61, 21-24.
- Niu, F., Yu, Y.*, Yu, D., & Li, H. (2015). Investigation on soil thermal saturation and recovery of an earth to air heat exchanger under different operation strategies. Applied Thermal Engineering, 77, 90-100.
- Niu, F., Yu, Y.*, Yu, D., & Li, H. (2015). Heat and mass transfer performance analysis and cooling capacity prediction of earth to air heat exchanger. Applied Energy, 137, 211-221.
- Woradechjumroen, D., Li, H., & Yu, Y. (2014). Development and performance evaluation of a steady-state virtual sensor for predicting wall surface temperature in light commercial buildings with an open space. Int J Build Urban Interior Landsc Technol, 3, 5-21.
- Woradechjumroen, D., Li, H., & Yu, Y. (2014). Energy Interaction among HVAC and Supermarket Environment. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Civil, Environmental, Structural, Construction and Architectural Engineering, 8(12), 1225-1232.
- Yu, Y.*, Woradechjumroen, D., & Yu, D. (2014). A review of fault detection and diagnosis methodologies on air-handling units. Energy and Buildings, 82, 550-562.
- Behfar, A., Shen, Z., Lau, J., and Yu, Y. (2014). Heat and Mass Transfer Enhancement Potential of Absorption Equipment via a Literature Review- RP-1462. HVAC&R Research, 20:5, 570-580.
- Woradechjumroen, D., Yu, Y.*, Li, H., Yu, D., & Yang, H. (2014). Analysis of HVAC system oversizing in commercial buildings through field measurements. Energy and Buildings, 69, 131-143.
- Yu, Y.*, Li, H., Niu, F., & Yu, D. (2014). Investigation of a coupled geothermal cooling system with earth tube and solar chimney. Applied Energy, 114, 209-217.
- Li, H., Yu, Y.*, Niu, F., Shafik, M., & Chen, B. (2014). Performance of a coupled cooling system with earth-to-air heat exchanger and solar chimney. Renewable Energy, 62, 468-477.
- Yu, Y.*, Loftness, V., & Yu, D. (2013). Multi-structural fast nonlinear model-based predictive control of a hydronic heating system. Building and Environment, 69, 131-148.
- Niu, F., Ni, L., Yao, Y., Yu, Y.*, & Li, H. (2013). Performance and thermal charging/discharging features of a phase change material assisted heat pump system in heating mode. Applied Thermal Engineering, 58(1), 536-541.
- Yu, Y.*, Liu, M., Li, H., Yu, D., & Loftness, V. (2012). Synergization of air handling units for high energy efficiency in office buildings: Implementation methodology and performance evaluation. Energy and Buildings, 54, 426-435.
- Yu, Y.*, Gross, D.M., and Yu, D. (2012). Motivating Exercise with a Pedometer-Gift Box". Proceedings of APCHI2012 (10th Asia Pacific Conference on Computer Human Interaction). HCD-Net Journal (ISSN: 1882-9635).
- Yu, Y.*, Liu, M., Li, H., Yu, D., & Loftness, V. (2012). Synergization of air handling units for high energy efficiency in office buildings: The theory and analysis. Energy and Buildings, 45, 264-273.
- Yu, D., Li, H., & Yu, Y. (2011). A Gray-Box Based Virtual SCFM Meter in Rooftop Air-Conditioning Units. Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 3(1), 011005.
- Yu, D., Li, H., Yu, Y., & Xiong, J. (2011). Virtual calibration of a supply air temperature sensor in rooftop air conditioning units. HVAC&R Research,17(1), 31-50.
- Yu, Y.*, Zhang, G., Yu, D., & Yan W. (2006). External factors influencing contamination emission from porous materials. Heating Ventilating & Air Conditioning, 1, 003.
- Zhang, G., Yu, Y., & Han, J. (2004). Research on the Influencing Factors of VOCs Emission from Building Materials [J]. Journal of Hunan University (Natural Science), 6, 014.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G., and Han, J. (2004). Mathematic Model of Contaminants Emission from Building Materials. Transaction of National HVACR Engineering Academy. 2004: 122-133.
- Likui, B. Y., Yuebin, Y., & Guoqiang, Z. (2004). Emission models of VOCs in indoor building materials and their application [J]. Hv & Ac, 8, 024.
- X. Qiao, C. Yang, and Y. Yu. (2003). Gray Incidence Analysis of Power Load and Heating Load. Energy Resource Technology. 2003, 2.
- Yu, Y., and Zhang, G. (2002). Establishing and Comparison of Indoor Air Quality Guidelines /Standards. Indoor Environment and Health. 2002: 170-176.
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers:
- S. Yoon, Y. Yu*. (2016) "Autonomous in-situ sensor calibration method in building systems". IAQVEC 2016, 9th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings. Songdo, Incheon, R. Korea, Oct 23-26, 2016.
- J. Wang, Q, Zhang, Y. Yu*. (2016) "Intelligent Control of Hybrid Cooling for Telecommunication Base Stations". eSim 2016: 554-561.
- D. Woradechjumroen, Y. Yu, and H. Li. (2014) “Development of physical-based linear parametric model utilizing virtual sensors for predicating zone temperature in a retail store” Proceedings of Built Environment Research Associates Conference, 2014. Thailand.
- Y. Yu, D. Woradechjumroen2, and D. Yu. (2014) “Virtual surface temperature sensor for multi-zone commercial buildings” The 6th Iternational Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2014). Taiwan, China.
- Y. Yu, H. Li, B. Chen, and F. Niu. (2013) “Applying earth tube and solar chimney for summer cooling” APEC 2013, Changsha, China.
- Y. Yu and V. Loftness. (2013) “Model-based predictive control for a hydronic heating and cooling system” APEC 2013, Changsha, China.
- Y. Xu, K. Ji, Y. Lu, Y. Yu, and W. Liu. (2013) “Optimal building energy management using intelligent optimization” Proceedings 9th IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE 2013). Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Y. Yu, V. Loftness, D. Yu, Y. Lu, and V. Hartkopf. Development and Evaluation of a Simplified Modeling Approach for Hydraulic System. Proceedings of 2nd International High Performance Building Conference, 2012. Purdue.
- K. Ji, Y. Lu, Z. Song, and Y. Yu. (2012) "Energy Management Control Framework of Optimization Control and Operation for Energy Efficient Buildings". Proceedings of ACEEE 2012.
- Y. Yu, V. Loftness, Y. Lu, and D. Yu. (2012) "Development of an Innovative Energy System and its Advanced Control in EnergyPlus". Proceedings of eSim 2012.
- Z. Song, Y. Lu, K. Ji, F. Marion, Y. Yu, M. Kerl, L. Liao, and D. Wei. (2011) "Experimental Study on Control-Oriented Simulation Models for Building Control and Energy Management". Building Simulation 2011.
- Y. Yu, M. Liu, D. Yu, and V. Loftness. (2011) "An Integrated Outside Air Control of Air Handling Units in Office Buildings for Energy Efficiency". Proceedings of 7th International Symposium of Heating Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (ISHVAC), 2011. Shanghai.
- Y. Yu, B. Dong, and Y. Hu. (2010) "Simulation-Based Hybrid Ventilation System Design and Evaluation". Proceedings of 1st International High Performance Buildings, 2010. Purdue.
- Y. Yu, B. Dong, D. Yu, and O. Karaguzel. (2010) "Application of System Identification and Numerical Optimization to a Floor Radiant Heating Control in a Solar House". Proceedings of CLIMA 2010. Turkey.
- Y. Yu, K. Xu, Y. Cho, and M. Liu. (2007) "A Smart Logic for Conference Room Terminal Box of Single Duct VAV System". Proceedings of International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO), 2007. California.
- Y. Yu, M. Liu, Y. Cho, and K. Xu. (2007) "Integrated Demand Controlled Ventilation for Single Duct VAV System with Conference Rooms". Proceedings of ICEBO, 2007. California.
- Z. Wang, G. Wang, K. Xu, Y. Yu, and M. Liu. (2007) "Achieving High Chilled Water Delta T in District Cooling Plants". Proceedings of ICEBO, 2007. California.
- Y. Yu, and G. Zhang. (2004) "Modeling on VOCs Diffusion, Emission & Distribution of Building Materials". Proceedings of Simulation Analysis Group, HVACR Engineering Academy, 2004: 185-197.
- G. Zhang, and Y. Yu. (2002) "Research and Development of Indoor Air Quality in China". Proceedings of Indoor Air' 2002, 2: 1014-1019. California