Lincoln: City Campus
Professional Memberships:• American Society of Civil Engineers
• American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers
• Associated General Contractors of America
• Association of Energy Engineers
• Sigma Lambda Chi (ΣΛX) Construction Honor Society
• Society of American Military Engineers
- Ph.D. Architecture, University of Florida, 1998
- M.S. Building Construction, University of Florida, 1993
- B.S. Construction Engineering Technology, Florida A&M University, 1992
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Research and training provider expertise in airborne infection control
- Mold and ‘sick building’ syndrome
- Fire, explosive and windstorm mitigation
- Post-disaster response and recovery
- Energy efficiency.
- Moisture Control Construction Checklist (MC3) Software, Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) Office of General Counsel, Washington, D.C. 2007.
About Kevin Grosskopf
Dr. Kevin R. Grosskopf is an Associate Professor at the Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction at the University of Nebraska. Dr. Grosskopf has served various capacities in the building industry as well as the U.S. government. Since 2002, Dr. Grosskopf has taught several courses in construction engineering and management, and in 2008, was recognized as the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) Outstanding Educator. Dr. Grosskopf has developed research expertise in building safety and sustainability, receiving $4.5M in grants and endowments, and, publishing 55 peer-reviewed papers including top tier journals of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), and, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
- Associate Professor, Durham School of A/E and Construction
University of Nebraska, 2009-present
- Assistant Professor, M.E. Rinker Sr. School of Building Construction
University of Florida, 2002-09
- Commercial Analyst, Gainesville Regional Utilities (GRU), 1999-2002
- Program Manager, Air Force Material Command (AFMC)
Department of Defense, 1995-1999
- Staff Engineer, Applied Research Associates (ARA), Inc., 1993-1995
- Superintendent, Commercial Construction, 1989-1993
- Tradesmen, Commercial Construction 1986-1989
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), #AEE9413
- Certified OSHA 500 Construction Safety Outreach Trainer
- State of Florida Certified Building Contractor, #CBC1250624
Honors and Awards
- 2008 National Outstanding Educator Award, Associated General Contractors of America (AGC)
- 2007 National Teaching Award, Associated Schools of Construction (ASC)
- 2005 College Teacher of the Year, College of Design, Construction and Planning, University of Florida
- "Building Energy Efficient Homes for America (BEEHA)"
U.S. Department of Energy (US DOE), June 2010, $660,345
- "Veterans Commissioning Training Program for Commercial Healthcare Facilities"
U.S. Department of Energy (US DOE), June 2010, $405,738
- "Building a Green Economy: Nebraska State Energy Sector Partnership (SESP) and Training"
Department of Labor (US DOL), January 2010, $1,253,000
- "Spanish/English, Low Literacy Worker Safety Training for Focus-Four Disaster Reconstruction Hazards"
U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), September 2007, $135,981
- "Comparative Analyses Using NFPA 403 Agent Application Rates and Quantities"
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), August 2007, $56,018
- "Hurricane Waste Management and Recycling"
Florida Center for Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (FCSHW), State University System of Florida (SUS), July 2007, $46,000.
- Ed Proefke, Sr., Center for Collective Protection Endowment
University of Florida Foundation (UFF), April 2007, $150,000
- "Moisture Control Construction Checklist (MC3): Training and QA/QC Software to Mitigate Mold and Other Moisture-Related Asthma Triggers in Residential and Commercial Construction"
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), August 2006, $160,998
- "University Interdisciplinary Initiatives in Homeland Security"
University of Florida Research and Graduate Programs (RGP), May 2004, $100,000
- "Moisture Control Construction Checklist (MC3)"
W.A. Klinger Memorial Research Grant, Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) Education and Research Foundation, March 2004, $68,368
- "JP-8 to Hydrogen Fuel Cell Reformer"
Construction Engineering Research Laboratory (CERL), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, September 1998, $630,000
- "Modular Catalytic Hydro-Thermal Conversion Unit for HAZMAT Waste Processing"
Human Effectiveness and Logistics, Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), April 1998, $350,000
- "Non-Ozone Depleting Mobile Heat Pump"
Strategic Environmental Research & Development Program (SERDP), U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), June 1996, $300,000
- "The Aerodynamic Behavior of Respiratory Aerosols within a General Patient Room," Grosskopf, K.R. and K. Herstein, International Journal of HVAC& Research. Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 709-722. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), Atlanta, GA. 2012.
- "Post-Disaster Recovery and Reconstruction Safety Training," Grosskopf, K.R., Proceedings of the 2010 World Congress, International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB). Salford (United Kingdom). 2010.
- "Avoiding HVAC Defect Claims in Hot, Humid Climates," Grosskopf, K.R., Oppenheim P., and T. Brennan, ASHRAE Journal Vol. 50, No. 7, pp. 40-52, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Atlanta, GA, 2008.
- "Reducing Carbon Footprint through Market Based Demand Side Energy Management," Grosskopf, K.R., Proceedings of the 2008 World Sustainable Building Conference (SB08), Melbourne (Australia), 2008.
- "Identifying the Causes of Moisture-Related Defect Litigation in U.S. Building Construction," Grosskopf, K.R., Proceedings of the 2008 Construction, Building and Real Estate Research Conference (COBRA), Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Dublin (Ireland), 2008.
- "Use of Disaster Simulation Software to Identify Reconstruction Worker Training Needs," Grosskopf, K.R., Proceedings of the 3rd Built Environment Conference (BEC), Association of Schools of Construction of Southern Africa (ASOCSA), Cape Town (South Africa), 2008.
- "Assessing the Financial Feasibility of Utility Provided Back-Up Power During Site Planning," Grosskopf, K.R., W.S. Shepherd and P. Oppenheim, ASCE Journal of Energy Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)., Vol. 132, No. 1, pp. 2-7, Reston, VA, 2006.
- "Protective Window Safety Films: A Case Study in ASTM All-Hazard Building Code Standards," Grosskopf, K.R., Journal of ASTM International(JAI) Vol. 2, No.7, pp. 1-9, American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2005.
- "Market-based Incentive/Disincentive (I/D) Model for Sustainable Energy Use in Residential Construction," Grosskopf, K.R, C.J. Kibert and P. Oppenheim, Proceedings of the 2005 World Sustainable Conference, Tokyo (Japan), 2005.