- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Florida A&M University
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, Florida A&M University
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Florida State University
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Natural Hazard Mitigation and Management
- Engineering Mechanics
- Structural Dynamics and Control
- Disaster Debris Management
- Sustainable Construction and Energy Efficiency
- Engineering Education
About Terri Norton
Dr. Terri R. Norton is associate professor of Construction Engineering and Architectural Engineering at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL). Dr. Norton's research focuses on the effects natural hazards have on civil structures, disaster debris management and sustainability. She is the PI for a DOE Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) with the City of Omaha and the Kiewit Building Group to perform energy audits of city buildings and develop a data monitoring tool. She is also working on the seismic assessment of a collapsed ancient roman temple in Turkey, to assist in the reconstruction.
Dr. Norton was awarded the Next Generation of Hazards and Disasters Researchers Fellowship, funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). She has been an invited lecturer at the University of Rome "La Sapienza", where her seminar focused on multi-hazard identification and risk assessment.
Before Dr. Norton's appointment, she was a member of the technical staff in the Structural Dynamics Department at The Aerospace Corporation. She has also served as a visiting professor with the Department of Construction Engineering Technology at Florida A&M University. She has also been a field mission investigator evaluating the 2002 Molise Earthquake in Italy, a research ambassador at the University of Tokyo, and a research assistant at the Florida A&M University-Florida State University College of Engineering in the Wind Hazard and Earthquake Engineering Lab.
Dr. Norton is an active member of several professional organizations including: the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), and the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE). She serves as a faculty advisor for the UNL collegiate chapters of NSBE and EERI.
Her other interests involve mentoring the youth in the areas of math and science. She has been a mentor for the Ernest E. Just Marine Biology Program and the AMAN Inc. International Science and Discovery, Saturday Science Academy (SSA). The SSA, a NSBE Jr. Chapter, is designed to encourage the career paths of secondary school students who have been traditionally underrepresented in science and technology fields.
- Structural Dynamics (CIVE 842), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Engineering Dynamics (EMEC 3730), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Structures I (CNST 331), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Engineering Statics (EM 2230), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Engineering Statics (ETG 2502), Florida A&M University
- Strength of Materials (ETG 2530), Florida A&M University
- Soil Mechanics (ETC 3210), Florida A&M University
- Civil Engineering Mechanics (EGN 3311), FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics (EGM 3512), FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Disaster Reconstruction Through Debris Management: Recycling and Reuse
- Baseline Energy Audits of City of Omaha Facilities
- Seismic Assessment of Collapsed Ancient Roman Temple
- Recycled Carbon Fiber Reinforced Mortar: Shear Bond Strength
- Optimal Design of Hybrid Passive Control Devices
- Seismic Assessment of Curved Bridges Using Fragility Analysis
- Analysis of Magnetic Damping Systems for Structural Control
Honors and Awards
- Academic Keys Who’s Who in Engineering Education (2012)
- EERI East Japan Earthquake Reconnaissance Team (2011)
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellow (2011)
- UNL Construction Programs Jr. Professor of the Year (2011)
- Henry Y. Kleinkauf Family Distinguished New Faculty Teaching Award (2011)
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Service Award (2011)
- DSAEC Research Seed Grant (2011)
- Layman Award (2009)
- Next Generation of Hazards and Disasters Research Fellowship (2009)
- NSBE National AE Mentor of the Year (2009)
- Hildred Walker Technology Award (2007)
- Black Engineer of the Year Award (BEYA): Graduate Student Leadership (2005)
- National Society of Black Engineers Golden Torch Award: Graduate Student of the Year (2005)
- Title III Minority Doctoral Fellow, Florida A&M University (2005)
- GAANN Fellow, Florida A&M University (2005, 2004, 2003, 2002)
- Natural Hazard Mitigation in Japan, NHMJ, Selected Participant (2004, 2002, 2001)
- Florida State University PIE Teaching Certificate (2003)
- NSF Summer Institute in Japan, Selected Participant University of Tokyo(2002)
- Tau Beta Pi Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society
- W.E.B. Dubois Honor Society
- Phi Sigma Theta Honor Society
- Chang, S.; Aldrich, D.; Eisner, R.; Johnson, L.; Norton, T.; Tierney, K.; Wachtendorf, T.; Brittingham, R.; Iuchi, K.; Safaie, S.; Wilson, J. (2011). “Great Eastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Societal Dimensions.” EERI Reconnaissance Report, August 2011. (On-Line)
- Deng, Y.; Norton, T.R.; Tuan, C.Y., “Analytical Studies on Non-post-tensioned and Post-tensioned Concrete-Filled Circular Steel Tubes under Bending.” Structures and Buildings. (In Press)
- Norton, T.; Lashgari, M. “Effect of LRB Isolator Characteristics on the Response of Base-Isolated Structure.”International Conference on Earthquakes & Structures (ICEAS 2011), Seoul, Korea, September 2011.
- Norton, T.; Mohseni, M. “Calibration of Steel Tension Members Design Criteria in AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Code.” International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP 11), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2011.
- Norton, T.; Mohseni, M. “Seismic damage assessment of curved bridges using fragility analysis.” International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP 11), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2011.
- Erdogmus, E.; Norton, T.; Buckley, C.; Kauzlarich, K.; Petersen, B. “Seismic Evaluation for the Temple of Antioch Reconstruction.” First International Conference on Vulnerability and Risk Analysis and Management (ICVRAM 2011), Hyattsville, Maryland, April 2011.
- Norton, T. R., "Laser Resonance Experiment," Aerospace Technical Memorandum No. 2006(1091-25)-1b. Dated 21 July 2006
- Norton, T. R., "WGS XIPS Particle Impact Analysis," Aerospace Technical Memorandum No. 2006(1103-53)-2. Dated 17 May 2006
- Norton, T., Abdullah, M., Stephens, D., "Combined Hurricane and Earthquake Hazard Component Vulnerability Analysis," Proceedings of ANCER, Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Network of Centers for Earthquake Engineering Research, Honolulu, Hawaii, July 2004
- Norton, T., Politis, N., Tezcan, J., Matt, H., and Lee, H. J., "Tri-Center Review on Post-Earthquake Reconnaissance, 2002 Molise Earthquake Field Mission 2003: Italy", MCEER 2004 Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, California, February 2004