- Ph.D. - Building Performance and Diagnostics, Carnegie Mellon University, 2012
- M.S. - Architectural Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2008
- M.S. - Heating Ventilation and Air-conditioning Engineering, Hunan University, 2003
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Automated Continuous Commissioning and Advanced Control
- Building Systems Integration
- Sustainable and Cascaded Building Energy System
- Virtual Evaluation of Built Environment with Computational Fluid dynamics
About Yuebin Yu
Dr. Yuebin Yu's main field is smart building technology and sustainable energy system development, including automated continuous commissioning and advanced controls, web-based fault detection and diagnosis, virtual sensing and metering, cascaded energy systems with active utilization of passive technologies, model-based built environment evaluation. Dr. Yu graduated with a Ph.D. degree from Carnegie Mellon University. During his study in the Center for Building Performance and Diagnostics at CMU, Dr. Yu has attended multiple government and industrial funded projects.
He has published 13 journal articles (7 as first author) and more than 10 peer reviewed conference papers (8 as first author). Dr. Yu is a member of ASME, ASHRAE, and IBPSA. He is an active member in the Technical Committee 7.5 for Smart Building Systems and is participating the revision of ASHRAE Handbook on Fault Detection and Diagnostics. Before joining University of Nebraska-Lincoln, he had five years working experience including as a VAV product manager in Trox Air Conditioning Components Co., Ltd and a manager of engineering department in Guangzhou Refrigeration Equipment Institute.
- Assistant Professor, Durham School of A/E and Construction
University of Nebraska, 2012-present
- VAV Product Manager, Trox Air Conditioning Components Co., Ltd (China), 09/2005 - 08/2006
- Sales and Technical Support, Trox Air Conditioning Components Co., Ltd (China, 06/2003 - 08/2005)
- Manager of Engineering Department, Guangzhou Refrigeration Equipment Institute (China), 01/2000 - 09/2000
- Engineer of Research and Development, Engineering Department, Guangzhou Refrigeration Equipment Institute (China), 07/1998 - 12/1999
- AE-4120 Energy System-II
- 48722 Building Performance Modeling (Teaching Assistant, Carnegie Mellon University)
Honors and Awards
- "Study on Indoor Environment Influence Mechanism and Integrated Control Techniques of Residential Building in South China", Certified by National Education Committee of China
- Excellent Graduate of Hunan Province (Hunan University)
- Investigator, "Advanced, Integrated Control for Building Operations to Achieve 40% Energy Savings". $ 1,773,578.00, with Siemens Corporate Research. U.S. DOE, award DE-EE0003843. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator, "50% and 80% Reductions Energy Consumption for a U.S. Army Battalion Headquarters Building". $ 12,000.00, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, contract W9132T-10-D-0002 DO 0003, sub-contract with The PERTAN Group. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator, "Children's Community Pediatrics/GIL Medical Office Environment Study". Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator and project leader, industry funded Continuous Commissioning on multiple commercial buildings.
- Yu, Y., Liu, M., Li, H., Yu, D., Loftness V. Synergization of Air Handling Units for High Energy Efficiency in Office Buildings: Implement Methodology and Performance Evaluaion. Energy and Buildings, 2012, Vol. 54: 426-435.
- Yu, D., Li, H., Kibrya, G., Yu, Y. A Robust Cooling-Based Virtual Supply Airflow Meter of Rooftop Air Conditioning Units.International Journal of HVAC & R Research. Submitted and under review.
- Yu, Y., Gross, D.M., and Yu, D. Pegi: Motivating Exercise with a Pedometer-Gift Box. Proceedings of APCHI2012 (10th Asia Pacific Conference on Computer Human Interaction). HCD-Net Journal (ISSN: 1882-9635).
- Yu, Y., Liu, M., Li, H., Yu, D., Loftness V. Synergization of Air Handling Units for High Energy Efficiency in Office Buildings: The Theory and Analysis. Energy and Buildings, 2012, Vol. 45: 264-273.
- Yu, D., Li, H., and Yu, Y. A Gray-Box Based Virtual Supply Airflow Meter in Rooftop Air-Conditioning Units. Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 2011, 3(1): 011005.1-7.
- Yu, D., Li, H., Yu, Y., Xiong, J. Virtual Calibration of a Supply Air Temperature Sensor in Rooftop Air Conditioning Units.International Journal of HVAC & R Research. 2011, 17 (1): 31-50.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G., Yu, D., Yang, W. External Factors Influencing Contamination Emissions from Porous Materials.Chinese Journal of HVAC. 2006, 36(1): 13-19.
- Zhang, G., Yu, Y., Han, J. Research on the Influencing Factors of VOCs Emission from Building Materials. Journal of Hunan University (Natural Sciences). 2004, 31(6): 60-65.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G., Han, J. Mathematic Model of Contaminants Emission from Building Materials. Transaction of National HVACR Engineering Academy. 2004: 122-133.
- Yu, L., Yu, Y., Zhang, G. Emission Models of VOCs in Indoor Building Materials and The Applications. Chinese Journal of HVAC. 2004, 34(8): 102-104.
- Qiao, X., Yang, C., Yu, Y. Gray Incidence Analysis of Power Load and Heating Load. Energy Resource Technology. 2003, 2.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G. Establishing and Comparison of Indoor Air Quality Guidelines /Standards. Indoor Environment and Health. 2002: 170-176.
- Yu. Y., Lasternas, B., Lu., Y., and Hartkopf, V. A Study of Rule and Model Cascaded Predictive Control for an Office Building. CLIMA 2013, Czech. (Abstract Accepted)
- Yu, Y., Loftness, V., Yu, D., Lu, Y., and Hartkopf, V. Development and Evaluation of a Simplified Modeling Approach for Hydraulic System. Proceedings of 2nd International High Performance Building Conference, 2012. Purdue.
- Ji, K., Lu, Y., Song, Z., Yu, Y. Energy Management Control Framework of Optimization Control and Operation for Energy Efficient Buildings. Proceedings of ACEEE 2012.
- Yu, Y., Loftness, V., Lu, Y., Yu, D. Development of an Innovative Energy System and its Advanced Control in EnergyPlus. Proceedings of eSim 2012.
- Song, Z., Lu, Y., Ji, K., Marion, F., Yu, Y., Kerl, M., Liao, L., Wei, D. Experimental Study on Control-Oriented Simulation Models for Building Control and Energy Management. Building Simulation 2011.
- Yu, Y., Liu, M., Yu, D., Loftness, V. An Integrated Outside Air Control of Air Handling Units in Office Buildings for Energy Efficiency. Proceedings of 7th International Symposium of Heating Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (ISHVAC), 2011. Shanghai.
- Yu, Y., Dong, B., Hu, Y. Simulation-Based Hybrid Ventilation System Design and Evaluation. Proceedings of 1st International High Performance Buildings, 2010. Purdue.
- Yu, Y., Dong, B., Yu, D., Karaguzel, O. Application of System Identification and Numerical Optimization to a Floor Radiant Heating Control in a Solar House. Proceedings of CLIMA 2010. Turkey.
- Cho, Y., Liu, M., Yu, Y. Optimal Terminal Box Control Algorithm for Single Duct Air Handling Units. Proceedings of Energy Sustainability, 2008. ASME.
- Yu, Y., Xu, K., Cho, Y., Liu, M. A Smart Logic for Conference Room Terminal Box of Single Duct VAV System. Proceedings of International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO), 2007. California.
- Yu, Y., Liu, M., Cho, Y., Xu, K. Integrated Demand Controlled Ventilation for Single Duct VAV System with Conference Rooms. Proceedings of ICEBO, 2007. California.
- Wang, Z., Wang, G., Xu, K., Yu, Y., Liu, M. Achieving High Chilled Water Delta T in District Cooling Plants. Proceedings of ICEBO, 2007. California.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G. Modeling on VOCs Diffusion, Emission & Distribution of Building Materials. Proceedings of Simulation Analysis Group, HVACR Engineering Academy, 2004: 185-197.
- Zhang, G., Yu, Y. Research and Development of Indoor Air Quality in China. Proceedings of Indoor Air' 2002, 2: 1014-1019. California