• American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers
• International Building Performance Simulation Association
• Building Information Modeling
- Ph.D. - Building Performance and Diagnostics, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.S. - Architectural Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.S. - Heating Ventilation and Air-conditioning Engineering, Hunan University
a. Automated Fault Detection and Diagnostics (AFDD), modeling, simulation and control of thermal/mechanical systems; or
b. Thermal, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, HVAC systems, applied mathematics or related areas;
Please contact Dr. Yu for financial support. A generous compensation package will be offered for outstanding candidates.
- Automated Continuous Commissioning and Advanced Control
- Building Systems Integration
- Sustainable and Cascaded Building Energy System
- Virtual Evaluation of Built Environment with Computational Fluid dynamics
About Yuebin Yu
Dr. Yuebin Yu's main field is smart building technology and sustainable energy system development, including automated continuous commissioning and advanced controls, web-based fault detection and diagnosis, virtual sensing and metering, cascaded energy systems with active utilization of passive technologies, model-based built environment evaluation. Dr. Yu graduated with a Ph.D. degree from Carnegie Mellon University. During his study at CMU, Dr. Yu has attended multiple government and industrial funded projects.
He has published more than 18 journal articles and more than 10 peer reviewed conference papers. Dr. Yu is a member of ASME, ASHRAE, and IBPSA. He is an active and voting member in the Technical Committee 7.5 for Smart Building Systems and is participating the revision of ASHRAE Handbook on Fault Detection and Diagnostics. Before joining University of Nebraska-Lincoln, he had five years working experience including as a VAV product manager in Trox Air Conditioning Components Co., Ltd and a manager of engineering department in Guangzhou Refrigeration Equipment Institute.
- Assistant Professor, Durham School of A/E and Construction
University of Nebraska, 2012-present
- VAV Product Manager, Trox Air Conditioning Components Co., Ltd (China), 2005 - 2006
- Manager of Engineering Department, Guangzhou Refrigeration Equipment Institute (China), 1999 - 2000
- AE-4120 Energy System-II
- MENG-4200 Heat Transfer
- AE-8940 Special Topics in AE
- 48722 Building Performance Modeling (Teaching Assistant, Carnegie Mellon University)
Honors and Awards
- "Study on Indoor Environment Influence Mechanism and Integrated Control Techniques of Residential Building in South China", Certified by National Education Committee of China
- Excellent Graduate of Hunan Province (Hunan University)
- PI: Yu, Y. Co-PI: Yuill, D. "Fault Detection and Diagnostic (FDD) Methods for Supermarkets- Phase I". $ 144,250, ASHRAE.
- PI: Yu, Y. "A Novel Hybrid Framework on Improving Sensing and Control for Energy Efficient Buildings". $ 39,776, NSF - FirstAward.
- PI: Lau, J. Co-PI: Yu, Y. "Active Mechanisms for Enhancing Heat and Mass Transfer in Sorption Fluids". $ 143,168, ASHRAE.
- PI: Yu, Y. "Coupling Phase Change Material and Active Heat Transfer for Free Energy". $ 9,900. UNL-Layman Award.
- PI: Yu, Y. "Construction of Advanced Smart Buildings Laboratory". $ 25,000. UNL-COE.
- Investigator, "Advanced, Integrated Control for Building Operations to Achieve 40% Energy Savings". $ 1,773,578.00, with Siemens Corporate Research. U.S. DOE, award DE-EE0003843. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator, "50% and 80% Reductions Energy Consumption for a U.S. Army Battalion Headquarters Building". $ 12,000.00, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, contract W9132T-10-D-0002 DO 0003, sub-contract with The PERTAN Group. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator, "Children's Community Pediatrics/GIL Medical Office Environment Study". Carnegie Mellon University.
- Investigator and project leader, industry funded Continuous Commissioning on multiple commercial buildings.
- Yu, Y., Woradechjumroen, D., Yu, Y. Virtual Surface Temperature Sensor for Multi-zone Commercial Buildings. Energy Procedia. 2015, Vol.61: 21-24.
- Niu, F., Yu, Y.*, Yu, D., Li, H. Investigation on Soil Thermal Saturation and Recovery of an Earth to Air Heat Exchanger under Different Operation Strategies. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2015, Vol. 77: 90-100.
- Niu, F., Yu, Y.*, Yu, D., Li, H. Heat and Mass Transfer Performance Analysis and Cooling Capacity Prediction of Earth to Air Heat Exchanger. Applied Energy. 2015, Vol. 137: 211-221
- Woradechjumroen, D., Li, H., and Yu, Y. Energy Interaction among HVAC and Supermarket Environment. Int. J. of Civil, Architectural, Structural and Constructioning Engineering. 2014, Vol. 8(12): 1159-1166.
- Yu, Y., Woradechjumroen, D., Yu, D. A Review of Fault Detection and Diagnosis Methodologies on Air-Handling Units. Energy and Buildings. 2014, Vol. 82: 550-562.
- Behfar, A., Shen Z., Lau, J, Yu, Y. Heat and Mass Transfer Enhancement Potential of Absorption Equipment via a Literature Review- RP-1462. HVAC&R Research. 2014, 20:5, 570-580.
- Woradechjumroen, D., Yu, Y.*, Li, H., Yu, D., Yang, H. Analysis of HVAC System Oversizing in Commercial Buildings through Field Measurements. Energy and Buildings. 2014, Vol. 69: 131-143.
- Yu, Y., Li, H., Niu, F. Yu, D. Investigation of a Coupled Geothermal Cooling System with Earth Tube and Solar Chimney. Applied Energy. 2014, Vol. 114: 209-217.
- Li, H. Yu, Y.*, Niu, F, Shafik, M., Chen, B. Performance of a Coupled Cooling System with Earth-to-Air Heat Exchanger and Solar Chimney. Renewable Energy. 2014, Vol. 62: 468-477.
- Yu, Y., Loftness, V., Yu, D. Multi-structural Fast Nonlinear Model-based Predictive Control of a Hydronic Heating System. Building and Environment. 2013, Vol. 69: 131-148.
- Niu, F., Ni, L, Yao, Y, Yu, Y.*, Li, H. Performance and Thermal Charging/Discharging Features of a Phase Change Material Assisted Heat Pump System in Heating Mode. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2013, Vol. 58 (1-2): 536-541.
- Yu, Y.*, Liu, M., Li, H., Yu, D., Loftness V. Synergization of Air Handling Units for High Energy Efficiency in Office Buildings: Implement Methodology and Performance Evaluaion. Energy and Buildings. 2012, Vol. 54: 426-435.
- Yu, Y.*, Gross, D.M., and Yu, D. Pegi: Motivating Exercise with a Pedometer-Gift Box. Proceedings of APCHI2012 (10th Asia Pacific Conference on Computer Human Interaction). HCD-Net Journal (ISSN: 1882-9635).
- Yu, Y.*, Liu, M., Li, H., Yu, D., Loftness V. Synergization of Air Handling Units for High Energy Efficiency in Office Buildings: The Theory and Analysis. Energy and Buildings. 2012, Vol. 45: 264-273.
- Yu, D., Li, H., and Yu, Y. A Gray-Box Based Virtual Supply Airflow Meter in Rooftop Air-Conditioning Units. Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications. 2011, 3(1): 011005.1-7.
- Yu, D., Li, H., Yu, Y., Xiong, J. Virtual Calibration of a Supply Air Temperature Sensor in Rooftop Air Conditioning Units. International Journal of HVAC & R Research. 2011, 17 (1): 31-50.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G., Yu, D., Yang, W. External Factors Influencing Contamination Emissions from Porous Materials.Chinese Journal of HVAC. 2006, 36(1): 13-19.
- Zhang, G., Yu, Y.*, Han, J. Research on the Influencing Factors of VOCs Emission from Building Materials. Journal of Hunan University (Natural Sciences). 2004, 31(6): 60-65.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G., Han, J. Mathematic Model of Contaminants Emission from Building Materials. Transaction of National HVACR Engineering Academy. 2004: 122-133.
- Yu, L., Yu, Y., Zhang, G. Emission Models of VOCs in Indoor Building Materials and The Applications. Chinese Journal of HVAC. 2004, 34(8): 102-104.
- Qiao, X., Yang, C., Yu, Y. Gray Incidence Analysis of Power Load and Heating Load. Energy Resource Technology. 2003, 2.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G. Establishing and Comparison of Indoor Air Quality Guidelines /Standards. Indoor Environment and Health. 2002: 170-176.
- Yu, Y., Loftness, V., Yu, D., Lu, Y., and Hartkopf, V. Development and Evaluation of a Simplified Modeling Approach for Hydraulic System. Proceedings of 2nd International High Performance Building Conference, 2012. Purdue.
- Ji, K., Lu, Y., Song, Z., Yu, Y. Energy Management Control Framework of Optimization Control and Operation for Energy Efficient Buildings. Proceedings of ACEEE 2012.
- Yu, Y., Loftness, V., Lu, Y., Yu, D. Development of an Innovative Energy System and its Advanced Control in EnergyPlus. Proceedings of eSim 2012.
- Song, Z., Lu, Y., Ji, K., Marion, F., Yu, Y., Kerl, M., Liao, L., Wei, D. Experimental Study on Control-Oriented Simulation Models for Building Control and Energy Management. Building Simulation 2011.
- Yu, Y., Liu, M., Yu, D., Loftness, V. An Integrated Outside Air Control of Air Handling Units in Office Buildings for Energy Efficiency. Proceedings of 7th International Symposium of Heating Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (ISHVAC), 2011. Shanghai.
- Yu, Y., Dong, B., Hu, Y. Simulation-Based Hybrid Ventilation System Design and Evaluation. Proceedings of 1st International High Performance Buildings, 2010. Purdue.
- Yu, Y., Dong, B., Yu, D., Karaguzel, O. Application of System Identification and Numerical Optimization to a Floor Radiant Heating Control in a Solar House. Proceedings of CLIMA 2010. Turkey.
- Cho, Y., Liu, M., Yu, Y. Optimal Terminal Box Control Algorithm for Single Duct Air Handling Units. Proceedings of Energy Sustainability, 2008. ASME.
- Yu, Y., Xu, K., Cho, Y., Liu, M. A Smart Logic for Conference Room Terminal Box of Single Duct VAV System. Proceedings of International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO), 2007. California.
- Yu, Y., Liu, M., Cho, Y., Xu, K. Integrated Demand Controlled Ventilation for Single Duct VAV System with Conference Rooms. Proceedings of ICEBO, 2007. California.
- Wang, Z., Wang, G., Xu, K., Yu, Y., Liu, M. Achieving High Chilled Water Delta T in District Cooling Plants. Proceedings of ICEBO, 2007. California.
- Yu, Y., Zhang, G. Modeling on VOCs Diffusion, Emission & Distribution of Building Materials. Proceedings of Simulation Analysis Group, HVACR Engineering Academy, 2004: 185-197.
- Zhang, G., Yu, Y. Research and Development of Indoor Air Quality in China. Proceedings of Indoor Air' 2002, 2: 1014-1019. California