Don NelsonProfessor Emeritus
- Ph.D., Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1962
- M.S., University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 1958
- B.S., University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 1953
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Graphic Databases
- Distributed Management Information Systems
- Interactive Data Management and Retrieval
- Interactive Management/Modeling
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
- All aspects of Software Engineering
- Communication Network Simulation
- Load Analysis and Projection
- Power Production Modeling
- Switching Theory/Automata
- Analog, Digital and Hybrid Systems
- Integration Operators and Algorithms
- Control Systems
- Network Synthesis
About Don Nelson
Professor Don J. Nelson is a native Nebraskan and has been with the University since 1955. He has served as Director of the Computing Center, Director of the Research Computing Group, Co-director of the Center for Communication and Information Science, and was a member of the Technical Staff at Bell Telephone Laboratories. He is also a Professor of Computer Science.
- D. J. Nelson, "A Fundamental Error Theory for Analog Computers," IRE Transactions on Electronic Computers, Vol. EC-12, pp. 541-550, October 1963.
- "A Hybrid Analog-Digital Parameter Optimizer for Astrac II," IEEE Transactions on Electronic Computers, December 1964 (Paper Review).
- "Arguments for Centralization of Computer Resources," Educational Research and Methods Division of the American Society for Engineering Education, Vol. 1, No. 4, June 1969, pp. 16-21.
- "A Modular Approach to Electrical Power Education," IEEE Transactions on Education, Special Issue on Electric Power Engineering Education, Vol. 21, No. 3, August 1978, pp. 122-126.
- "Modeling Pumped Storage Facilities Using Dynamic Programming," Simulation of Energy Systems, Vol. 1, Simulations Councils Inc., 1979.
- Automatic Load Forecasting, Final Report, EPRI FL-1758, Project 1355-5, Electrical Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, California, March 1981.
- "A New Extended Least-Hop Routing Algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 38, No. 4, April 1990, pp. 520-528 (with Khalid Sayood, Hao Chang).
- "A Robust Low-Rate Coding Scheme for Packet Video," IEEE Transactions on Communications, May, 1991 (with principal authors Y.C. Chen, K. Sayood).
- "Nonrandom Initialization for Backpropagation Using Thresholded Correlation Learning Vector Analysis (TCLVA)," Journal of Artificial Neural Networks, with principal authors R. Li, Ming Xu, accepted for publication.
Books Written for Teaching:
- Introduction to W-Transform Analysis of Integration Techniques, University of Nebraska (in use 1976 - Present).
- Fundamentals for Switching Theory and Logic Design, University of Nebraska (in use 1984 - Present).
- Fundamentals of Load Projection for Electrical Utilities, University of Nebraska (in use 1986 - Present).