- Ph.D., Iowa State University, 1979
- M.S.I.E., Iowa State University, 1976
- B.S.E.E., Iowa State University, 1972
- Electricity market
- Modeling and analysis of smart grid
- Systems engineering and risk analysis
About Fred Choobineh
Dr. Choobineh is professor of Electrical Engineering and Blackman Distinguished Professor of Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where he also holds a courtesy appointment as a professor of management. He also serves as director of Nebraska EPSCoR. His current research interests include electricity market and smart grid modeling and analysis.
Prior to joining the EE department, he was an IMSE faculty member at UNL. His research has been funded by NSF and industry. He is a recipient of the Nebraska Legislator Award for Distinguished Teaching in the College of Engineering. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers and a member of IEEE. He is a recipient of the Joseph K. Walkup Prominence in Industrial Engineering Award from Iowa State University.
Dr. Choobineh is a registered Professional Engineer in Nebraska and serves on the state Board of Engineers and Architects.
- National Science Foundation, Nebraska 2010-15 RII Project: Nanohybrid Materials & Algal Biology, Nebraska EPSCoR RII Grant-Track 1, $20M, 2010-15 (PD)
- National Science Foundation, Collaborative Research: Cyberinfrastructure-enabled Computational Nanoscience for Energy Technologies, Nebraska EPSCoR RII Grant-Track 2 with Puerto Rico, 2010-2013, $6M, 2010-13 (PD)
- National Science Foundation, Nebraska cyber infrastructure Improvement RII Track C2, $1,170,000, 2010-12 (PD)
- Choobineh, F. A. Asef-Vaziri, and X. Huang, “Fleet Sizing of Automated Guided Vehicles: A Linear Programming Approach Based on Closed Queuing Networks,” Accepted in International Journal of Production Research, 2011.
- Choobineh, F., M. Mohebbi, and C. Fan, “A Component Selection Model for Product Design,”International Journal of Applied Management Science, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2011.
- Batur, D., and F. Choobineh, “A Quantile-Based Approach to System Selection,” European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 202, No. 3, pp. 764-772, 2010.
- Al-Salim, B., F. Choobineh, "Redesign of production flow lines to postpone product differentiation," accepted in International Journal of Production Research, 2008.
- Mohebbi, E., F. Choobineh, A. Pattanayak, "Capacity-Driven vs. Demand-Driven Material Procurement Systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 107, pp. 451-466, 2007.
- Choobineh, F., E Mohebbi, and H. Khoo, "A Multi-objective Tabu Search for a Single-Machine Scheduling Problem with Sequence-Dependent Setup Times," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 175, No. 1, pp. 318-337, 2006.
- Mohebbi, E., and F. Choobineh, "The Impact of Component Commonality in an Assemble-to-Order Environment Under Supply and Demand Uncertainty," OMEGA, The International Journal of Management Science, Vol. 33, pp. 472-482, 2005.
- Abdoli, M. and F. Choobineh, "Empirical Bayes forecasting methods for job flow times," IIE Transactions, Vol. 37, No. 7, pp. 635-649, 2005. PDF File
- Langewisch, A. and F. Choobineh, "Mean and Variance Bounds and Propagation for Ill-Specified Random Variables," IEEE Trans.On Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp 494-506, 2004. PDF File
- Choobineh, F., and E. Mohebbi, "Material Planning for Production Kits Under Uncertainty, " Journal of Production Planning & Control, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp 63-70, 2004. PDF File
- Ryan, S. M.,and F. Choobineh, "Total WIP and WIP Mix for a CONWIP Controlled Job Shop," IIE Transactions, Vol.35, pp405-418, 2003.
- Hashemi, R. R., F. Choobineh, "A Fuzzy Rough Sets Classifier for Database Mining," Smart Engineering System Design, Vol. 4, pp.107-114, 2002.
- Sowrirajan, S., and F. Choobineh, "A Dynamic AGV Dispatcher for a C-CONWIP Controlled Job Shop," Journal of Design and Manufacturing Automation, Vol. 1, pp. 81-105, 2001.
- Ryan, S. M., B. Baynat, and F. F. Choobineh, "Determining Inventory Levels in a CONWIP Controlled Job Shop," IIE Transaction, Vol. 32, pp. 105-114, 2000.