- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University, 1985
- M.S.E.E., Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University, 1982
- B.S.E.E., Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University, 1980
- Power electronic device characterization and modeling
- Power electronics design
- Renewable energy systems
In the News
Hudgins elected to IEEE Board of Directors
Electrical Engineering earns inaugural Advance award
About Jerry Hudgins
Professor Hudgins is a native of West Texas. He attended Texas Tech University, in Lubbock, Texas, where he received a Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering in 1985. Dr. Hudgins served as Associate and Interim Department Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of South Carolina prior to joining the University of Nebraska-Lincoln as Chair of the Electrical Engineering Department.
Currently, he is Director of the Nebraska Wind Applications Center and Interim Director of the Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research. Dr. Hudgins' research involves power electronic device characterization and modeling, power electronics design, and renewable energy systems.
Dr. Hudgins served as the President of the IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) for the years of 1997 and 1998 and as President of the IEEE Industry Applications Society (IAS) in 2003. He has also served in many international technical conference committee roles through the IAS and PELS, including General Conference Chair of the 1999 IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, the 2002 IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, and the 2009 IEEE Power Electronics and Machines in Wind Applications Symposium.
Dr. Hudgins has published over 100 technical papers and book chapters concerning power semiconductors, power electronics, renewable energy systems, and engineering education. He has worked with numerous industries including Ford Motor Co., Northrup-Grumman, International Rectifier, Powerex, and Harris Electronics.
Dr. Hudgins is a Fellow of the IEEE and a member of Eta Kappa Nu and Tau Beta Pi. In 2011, he was elected to the board of directors of IEEE; he will serve as Division II delegate-elect in 2012 and as director in 2013. He co-authored several award winning papers published by the IEEE IAS and received the 1997 Best Transactions Paper Award published in the IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. In 1991, he received one of the IEEE Outstanding Student Branch Counselor awards given to the top ten counselors world-wide; and in 2000, was named as an IEEE Third Millenium Medal recipient for "Outstanding Contributions in the area of Power Electronics." Dr. Hudgins was also named as an Outstanding Alum of Texas Tech University and inducted into the Texas Tech Electrical Engineering Academy in 2002.
- SiC BJT and Thyristor Modeling (ONR)
- Energy Storage by Supercapacitors Based on Carbon Nano-Onions (NCESR)
- Wind Turbine Condition Monitoring (DOE)
- A Roadway Wind/Solar Hybrid Power Generation and Distribution System: Towards Energy-Plus Roadways (DOT)
- Sustainable Energy Options for Rural Nebraska (DOE)
- Wind Applications Center for Nebraska (DOE/NREL)
- Green Jobs Training (DOL)
- “Model for Power SiC Vertical JFET with Unified Description of Linear and Saturation Operating Regimes,” Z. Chen, A.E. Grekov, R. Fu, J.L. Hudgins, H.A. Mantooth, D.C Sheridan, J. Casady, and E. Santi, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1853-1861, July/August 2011.
- “Parameter Extraction Procedure for Vertical SiC Power JFET,” A.E. Grekov, Z. Chen, R. Fu, J.L. Hudgins, H.A. Mantooth, D.C Sheridan, J. Casady, and E. Santi, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1862-1871, July/August 2011.
- “Wind/solar hybrid generation-based roadway microgrids,” W. Qiao, A. Sharma, J.L. Hudgins, E. Jones, and L. Rilett, to be presented at the IEEE PES General Meeting 2011, Detroit, MI, USA, July 24-29, 2011.
- “A Physics-Based Model for a SiC JFET Accounting for Electric-Field-Dependent Mobility," E. Platania, Z. Chen, F. Chimento, A. Grekov, R. Fu, L. Lu, A. Raciti, J.L. Hudgins, H.A. Mantooth, D.C. Sheridan, J. Casady, and E. Santi, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 199-211, January/February 2011.
- “Physics-Based Model of Planar-Gate IGBT Including MOS Side Two-Dimensional Effects,” L. Lu, A. Bryant, J.L. Hudgins, E. Santi, and P.R. Palmer, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 2556-2567, Nov/Dec 2010.
- “A High Power, Current Sensorless, Bi-directional, 16 phase interleaved, DC-DC Converter for Hybrid Vehicle Application,” L. Ni, D.J. Patterson and J.L. Hudgins, IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition Record, pp. 3611-3617, 12-16 September 2010, Atlanta, GA.
- “Rotor Losses in Axial-Flux Permanent-Magnet Machines with Non-Overlapped Windings,” J.L. Colton, D.J. Patterson, and J.L. Hudgins, Power Electronics, Machines and Drives Conf. Rec. (PEMD), pp. 1-6, York, UK, 19-20th April, 2010.