A. John Boye
A. John BoyeProfessor
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.S., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- B.S., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Control systems: including optimization and optimal control, stability analysis and theory, theory and applications of continuous, discrete, nonlinear and stochastic systems, adaptive control
- Intelligent control: artificial neural networks, fuzzy logic
- Systems simulation and modeling, real-time system analysis, identification, estimation, Kalman filtering
- Data mining and analysis
About A. John Boye
Professor Boye grew up in Lincoln, graduating from Lincoln Southeast High School. He has worked for Hughes Aircraft Company in Culver City, Calif., and has been teaching electrical engineering at UNL for more than 35 years. He has received numerous teaching awards, including being named the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching/CASE 2000 Nebraska Professor of the Year.
Professor Boye is involved in systems research and consulting and has written the book One Hundred Years of Excellence: The Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Nebraska 1895-1995 that surveys the accomplishments and growth of the Electrical Engineering Department from its earliest days to the present. Professor Boye also served the department as Assistant Chairman for 8-1/2 years and Interim Chairman for 2-1/2 years. He is a registered professional electrical and computer engineer in the state of Nebraska.
Honors and Awards
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching/CASE Nebraska Professor of the Year: 2000
- The American Society for Engineering Education, Midwest Section, Outstanding Teaching Award: 2001
- University of Nebraska Distinguished Teaching Awards: 1987, 2000
- College Teaching Awards: 1988, 1993 and 1999
- Tau Beta Pi Outstanding Teaching Awards: 1985, 1987 and 1997
- College Service Awards: 1989 and 1998
- Outstanding Departmental Faculty Awards: 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1997, 2000 and 2010
- Modeling for System Control, Chapter 28 in The Industrial Electronics Handbook, second edition, J. David Irwin and Bogdan M. Wilamowski (editors), CRC Press, 2011.
- Tendinopathy Discrimination Using Spatial Frequency Parameters and Artificial Neural Networks (with Pengfei Song, Kristopher R. Linstrom, Kornelia Kulig, Judith M. Burnfield and Gregory R. Bashford), Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), Rome, Italy, September 20-23, 2009, pp.1902-1905.
- A Neural Network Prediction Model for a Psychiatric Application (with Kristopher R. Linstrom), Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications (ICCIMA'05), Las Vegas, Nevada, August 2005, pp. 36-40.
- One Hundred Years of Excellence: The Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Nebraska 1895-1995, (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, 1997, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: TK210.U55 B68 1997).
- Modeling for System Control (with W. L. Brogan), Chapter 22 in The Industrial Electronics Handbook, J. David Irwin (editor), CRC Press, 1997.
- Security Constrained Dispatch Solutions using the Gradient Projection Method of Optimization (with R. Sjoholm), Nineteenth Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON '93), Maui, Hawaii, November 1993.
- Application of a Kalman Filter for Parameter Estimation in a Population Modeling Problem (with L. L. Sanford), Ninth International Conference on Systems Engineering, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 1993.
- Using Spreadsheets to Teach Problem Solving in a First Year Class (with P. F. Williams and R. J. Soukup), IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 36, No. 1, February 1993, pp. 68-71.
- Neural Networks for the Adaptive Control of Nonlinear Systems (with S. J. Hills), 35th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Washington, D. C., August 1992.
- Using Simulation to Teach Problem Solving in Systems and Controls Classes, invited paper, International Conference on Simulation in Engineering Education, Newport Beach, California, January 1992.
- Optimal Numerical Techniques Applied to a Soft Landing Re-entry Space Vehicle, (with D. D. Stokebrand), SIAM Conference on Control in the 90's, San Francisco, California, May 1989.
- A Nonlinear System Controller, (with W. L. Brogan), International Journal of Control, Vol. 44, No. 5, November 1986, pp. 1209-1218.
- Application of a Nonlinear System Controller to Flight Control, (with W. L. Brogan), 29th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Lincoln, Nebraska, August 1986.
- Stochastic Nonlinear System Controller, (with W. L. Brogan), 28th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Louisville, Kentucky, August 1985.
- A Method of Controlling Deterministic Nonlinear Systems, (with W. L. Brogan), 1985 American Control Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, June 1985.