- Ph.D., 1985, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- M.S., 1978, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- B.S., 1971, University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Modeling and Simulation of Continuous and Discrete Systems
- Embedded and Fuzzy Systems
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays and Neural Networks
- Modeling and Simulation of Digital Systems
About Hamid Vakilzadian
Professor Vakilzadian's academic career began in 1985 when he joined the faculty of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln as a Visiting Assistant Professor. Vakilzadian's field of expertise is in the area of modeling and simulation of continuous and discrete systems and their application in digital systems and their architectures.
Vakilzadian has used his expertise in this area for the organization of national and international technical and educational conferences such as the International Conference on Simulation in Engineering Education, Society for Modeling & Simulation International (SCS) Western Simulation Multiconference on Simulation in Engineering; Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Conference on Electro-Information Technology (eit); and SCS Summer Computer Simulation Conference.
Due to this extensive work, Vakilzadian was selected to organize and serve as general chair, program chair, or publicity chair of these conferences. Vakilzadian's collaboration and contributions to the Region 4 of IEEE, the local section of IEEE, and the local chapter of the IEEE Computer Society and his broad experience in this area has resulted in his appointment as chair of the IEEE West Area, PACE Committee Chair, and Technical Activities Committee Chair of Region 4 of IEEE. He has served as Vice President of SCS conferences and Vice President of SCS Education. Due to his leadership roles and editorial activities for SIMULATION: Transactions of The Society of Modeling and Simulation International, Dr. Vakilzadian has been awarded with the IEEE-USA Regional Professional Leadership Award; Nebraska Section Award for Leadership, Management, and Contribution to the Section; IEEE Region 4 Conference Committee Awards (2003-04, 2014); and SCS Distinguished Service Award, 2011.
Vakilzadian has published in the area of modeling and simulation and its broad areas of application. He is the editor/co-editor of several educational hardbound volumes and the guest editor of the special issue of the Simulation Journal on simulation in engineering education. He has secured funding from sources such as NSF, NMIH, Altera, and HP as a PI and Co-PI for his scientific work.
As a guest professor at the University of Hamburg, Germany, and the Institut national des sciences appliquées (INSA) de Rouen, France, and a senior member of IEEE, Dr. Vakilzadian collaborates with the faculty of these universities.
- D.P.F. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Ubiquitous Networks: Power Line Communication and Internet of Things in Smart Home Environments,” Proceedings of 2014 IEEE eit Conference, pp. 596-601, May, 2014.
- D.P.F. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Wireless Communication in Aviation Through the Internet of Things and RFID,” Proceedings of 2014 IEEE eit Conference, pp. 602-607, May, 2014.
- H. Vakilzadian, R. Crosbie, R. Huntsinger, K. Cooper, Proceedings of 2013 Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 45, No. 10, ISBN: 978-1-62748-275-2, July 2013.
- A. Nihm, A. Drews, D. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “EkuSim: Realistic Evacuation Simulation with a Fast Hierarchical Algorithm,” Proceedings of 2013 Grand Challenges on Modeling and Simulation Conference, Vol. 45, No. 10, pp. 88-92, 2013.
- D. Moeller, R. Haas, H. Vakilzadian, “Ubiquitous Learning: Teaching Modeling and Simulation with Technology,” Proceedings of 2013 Grand Challenges on Modeling and Simulation Conference, Vol. 45, No. 10 (Won 1st place award), pp. 125-132, 2013.
- (Book Chapter) D.P.F. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Technology-Enhanced Learning Standard Through Integration of Modeling and Simulation into Engineering Study Programs,” Chapter 9, In: Developments in Engineering Education Standards: Advanced Curriculum Innovations, Ed. M.G. Rasul, Hershey, PA: IGI Global Publ., pp. 157-177, 2012.
- R. Crosbie, H. Vakilzadian, T. Ericsen, R. Huntsinger, Proceedings of 2012 Grant Challenges in Modeling and Simulation, SCS publication, Simulation Series, Vol. 44, No. 11, ISBN: 978‐1‐61839‐983‐0, 2012.
- R. Crosbie, H. Vakilzadian, T. Ericsen, R. Huntsinger, P. Elfery, Proceedings of 2011 Grant Challenges in Modeling and Simulation. SCS publication, Printed by Curran Associates, Inc. ISBN: 978‐1‐61782‐951‐2, 2011.
- P. Kropf, A. Abhari, M.K. Traoré, H. Vakilzadian, Proceedings of 2011 Summer Computer Simulation Conference, SCS publication, Printed by Curran Associates, Inc., ISBN: 978-1-61782-950-5, 2011.
- D.P.F. Möller, J. Froese, H. Vakilzadian, “Bottleneck-Analysis on Intermodal Maritime Transportation Chains,” Proceedings of 2011 Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation, pp. 59-64, 2011.
- D.P.F. Möller, H. Vakilzadian, J. Wittmann, “Computational Modeling and Simulation of Disposition and Fate of Medication,” Proceedings of 2011 Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation, pp. 76-82, 2011.
- Y. Farschtschi, D.P.F. Moeller, M. Widemann, J. Wittmann, H. Vakilzadian, “Global Optimization of Independent Turnaround Processes at Airports,” Proceedings of 2011 Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation, pp. 167-172, 2011.
- H. Vakilzadian, D.P.F. Moeller, “Challenges in Development of an Undergraduate M&S Program in Electrical Engineering,” Proceedings of 2010 International Simulation Multiconference, Eds. R. Crosbie, et al, Book 3, pp. 20-26, SCS/ACM?SIGSIM Publ. San Diego, 2010.
- D.P.F. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Integrating Modeling and Simulation into an e-Learning Environment in Engineering Study Programs,” Proceedings 2010 SCS/ACM/SIGSIM (SummerSim’10) Eds. R. Crosbie, et al, Book 3, pp. 90-97, SCS Publ., San Diego, 2010.
- T. Ericsen, R. Crosbie, M. Itmi, R. Huntsinger, and H. Vakilzadian, Editors, Proceedings of the 2010 Grant Challenges in Modeling and Simulation Conference, SummerSim’10, July 11-15, Ottawa, Canada, 2010.
- H. Vakilzadian, D. Moeller, “An M&S-based Transportation Engineering Program,” Proceedings of, 2009 MATHMOD Conference, February 11–13, 2009, Vienna, Austria, 2009.
- D. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Simulation in Undergraduate Education Initiative in Electrical Engineering,” Proceedings of 2009 SCSI/ACM/SIGSIM SpringSim Multiconference March 22–27, 2009, San Diego, CA, 2009.
- H. Vakilzadian, D. Moeller, “Model Curriculum and Case Study Projects of a Simulation in Undergraduate Education Initiative in Electrical Engineering,” Proceedings of 2009 SCSI/ACM/SIGSIM SpringSim Multiconference March 22–27, 2009, San Diego, CA, 2009.
- H. Vakilzadian, D. Moeller, “Qualification and Assessment Requirements for Simulation Based Electrical Engineering Education,” Proceedings of 2009 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, June 14–17, 2009, Austin, TX, 2009.
- D. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Virtual Prototyping Methodology as a Replacement for Physical Design in Teaching Embedded Systems,” Proceedings of 2009 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, June 14–17, 2009, Austin, TX, 2009.
- D. Moeller, H. Vakilzadian, “Modeling and Simulation Approaches for Multibody Engineering Systems,” Proceedings of 2009 Summer Simulation Conference, July 13-15, 2009 Istanbul, Turkey, 2009.
- 2012 International Conference on System Simulation, Shanghai, China, April 2012. The event focused on the integration of systems simulation technology for computers, information, networks, image processing and automatic controls in support of aerospace, automotive, military, nuclear, medical and other applications.