- Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2001
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering University of Nebraska at Lincoln 1989
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science University of Nebraska-Lincoln 1980
Experience includes a wide range of activities from printed circuit board layout to embedded system design. Many designs were successful products that are still being manufactured after 20 years. A significant amount of time has been devoted to software design and implementation with micro-controllers. Several years were also devoted to managing teams of individuals to produce manufacturable products.
- Nebraska R & D
1140 Smoky Hill Rd
Lincoln, NE 68520
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
2006 – present : Instructor for the Electrical Engineering Senior Design.
- Lester Electrical of Nebraska
625 West A Street
Lincoln, NE 68522
Lester Electrical manufactures battery chargers for industrial and consumer markets in addition to custom designed electrical products.
- September 2005 to January 2006 Senior Staff Technologist
Was responsible for tracking new products and technologies that might have an impact on the business plans.
- October 2003 to September 2005 Director of Research and Development
Was responsible for all research done on new technologies to be incorporated into future products.
- October 1997 to October 2003 Director of Product Engineering
Managing a staff of 34, was responsible for all new product development and getting new products into production.
- April 1996 to October 1997 Product Manager
- June 1983 to April 1996 Electrical Engineer
- August 1981 to June 1983 Lab Technician
- Dynamic Computer Architecture
June 1982 to June 1983 Computer Design Engineer
This government funded company was created to design a specialized computer from the ground up. Was responsible for the design of the hardware to implement a majority of the instruction set.
- Managed Engineering department of 34 individuals in 4 project teams with multiple projects per team
- Strong embedded programming skills in several computer languages including C, Fortran, Forth, several assemblers, Pascal, and others.
- Taken projects to production with microprocessors families from MSP430, Pic, Atmel, and Z80.
- Strong Unix, Linux, Windows XP skills including Open Office, Word, Excel, and MySQL.
- N. Schemm, S. Balkir, M. W. Hoffman, and M. Bauer, “A Computational Sensor System for Particle Detection Applications,” IEEE Intl. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, pp. 2169-2172, May 2009.
- N. Schemm, B. Liang, S. Balkir, M. W. Hoffman, and M. Bauer, ``A Single Chip Computational Sensor System for Gamma Isotope Identification," to be presented in IEEE Intl. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, May 2010, Paris, France
- D. Schultz, B. Blasy, J.C. Santana, J.C. Petrosky, J.W. McClory, D. LaGraffe, J.I. Brand, J. Tang, W. Wang, N. Schemm, S. Balkir, M. Bauer, I. Ketsman, R.W. Fairchild, Ya. B. Losovyj, P.A. Dowben, "The K-shell Auger electron spectrum of gadolinium obtained using neutron capture in a solid state device," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 43, no. 7, 43, 2010.
- A Distance Measure For DNA Sequences. This dissertation explores the use of patterns in average mutual information contained in DNA sequences as a method of identification of the sequences origin.
- Symbolic Boolean Equation Manipulation With A Stack Based Interpreter