• Thin Semiconducting Film Laboratory
- Ph.D., 1969 University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- M.S., 1964 University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- B.S., 1961 University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Thin film semiconductors for solar cells and other wide bandgap semiconductor materials (hollow cathode deposition technique)
- Research on non-vacuum deposition of thin semiconducting films
About Rodney Soukup
After receiving the Ph.D. degree from the University of Minnesota, Dr. Soukup went to work at Sperry Rand Univac (now Unisys) where he worked for three years on thin film hybrid microelectronic circuits and thin film devices. He then began his academic career at the University of Iowa as an Assistant Professor. He came to the University of Nebraska in 1976 as an Associate Professor.
Professor Soukup became Department Chairman in 1978, a position he held until June 30, 2000, and was promoted to Professor in 1980. He is currently the Omar Heins Professor of Electrical Engineering, an honor he received on July 1, 2010 after 12 years as the Henson Professor of Electrical Engineering. He is a past President of the National Electrical Engineering Department Heads Association (NEEDHA) and of the Central States Electrical Engineering Department Heads Association (CSEEDHA), past Chairman of the IEEE Education Society Millman Awards Committee and of the ASEE Terman Awards Committees. He was also an Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) reviewer. He was elected Fellow of the IEEE in 1993.
In 1998, Soukup won the NEEDHA Outstanding Service Award and, in 2000, the CSEEDHA Outstanding Service Award. He was elected Treasurer of the IEEE Education Society in 1998 and re-elected in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003. In 2006 Dr. Soukup was again elected to the Administrative Committee of the IEEE Education Society and re-elected in 2008. He also serves on the IEEE Fellows , the Meritorious Service Award, and Finance Committees for this Societ
- R. J. Soukup and K. J. Kantor, "Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon Thin Films Deposited by Triode Assisted Reactive Sputtering," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A10, 1728-1733 (1992).
- L. Soukup, V. PeÍina, L. Jastrabík, M. Šícha, P. Pokorný, R. J. Soukup, M. Novák, and J. Zemek, "Germanium Nitride Layers Prepared by Supersonic RF Plasma Jet," Surface and Coatings Technol. 78, 280-283 (1996).
- D. R. Konz and R. J. Soukup, "Quality Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon Deposited by Triode Reactive Sputtering," Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 56, 175-182 (1999).
- G. Pribil, Z. Hubiĉka, R. J. Soukup, and N. J. Ianno, "Deposition of Electronic Quality Amorphous Silicon, a-Si:H, Thin Films by a Hollow Cathode Plasma-Jet Reactive Sputtering System," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A19, 1571-1576 (2001).
- Z. Hubiĉka, G. Pribil, R. J. Soukup, and N. J. Ianno, "Investigations of the RF and DC Hollow Cathode Plasma-Jet Sputtering Systems for the Deposition of Amorphous Silicon Thin Films," Surface and Coatings Technol. 160, 114-123 (2002).
- R. J. Soukup, N. J. Ianno, G. Pribil and Z. Hubiĉka, "Deposition of High Quality Silicon, Germanium and Silicon-Germanium Thin Films by a Hollow Cathode Reactive Sputtering System," Surface and Coatings Technol. 177-178, 676-681 (2004).
- R. J. Soukup, N. J. Ianno, S. A. Darveau, and C. L. Exstrom, "Thin Films of a-SiGe:H with Device Quality Properties Prepared by a Novel Hollow Cathode Deposition Technique," Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 87, 87-98 (2005).
- J. S. Schrader. J. L. Huguenin-Love, R. J. Soukup, N. J. Ianno, C. L. Exstrom, S. A. Darveau, R. N. Udey, and V. L. Dalal, "Thin Films of GeC Deposited Using a Unique Hollow Cathode Sputtering Technique," Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 90, 2338-2345 (2006).
- J. L. Huguenin-Love, R. J. Soukup, N. J. Ianno, J. S. Schrader, D. W. Thompson, and V. L. Dalal, "Optical and Crystallographic Analysis of Thin Films of GeC Deposited Using a Unique Hollow Cathode Sputtering Technique," Materials Science and Semiconductor Processing 9, 759-763 (2006).
- R. J. Soukup, N. J. Ianno, and J. L. Huguenin-Love, "Analysis of Semiconductor Thin Films Deposited using a Hollow Cathode Plasma Torch," to be published in Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells.
- Rodney J. Soukup, Natale Ianno, Scott Darveau, and Christopher L. Exstrom, "Optical and Electronic Characterization of a-SiGe:H Thin Films Prepared by a Novel Hollow Cathode Deposition Technique," Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 808 (2004), pp. A9.4.1-A9.4.6.
- N. J. Ianno, R. J. Soukup, Z. Hubiĉka, J. Olejní ek, and H. Šíchová, "RF Hollow Cathode Plasma Jet Deposition of BaxSr1-xTiO3 Films," Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 869 (2005), pp. D2.4.2-D2.4.6.
A complete list of publications can be found in the CV.