Diplomats are made up of current engineering students who are here to welcome you and answer any questions you may have regarding resources, programs, disciplines, and entry into the College of Engineering.
Diplomats are an integral part of the college's outreach efforts and are primarily responsible for representing the college at recruitment events, as well as helping admitted students make the transition into college life and promoting community within the College of Engineering. Diplomats also volunteer their time to the college at alumni and retention events organized by the Dean's Leaders.
- Increase positive public relations for the College of Engineering
- Generate awareness about engineering, both within the college and as a career
- Host distinguished visitors as requested
- Create an awareness of needed, or current, student services
- Recruit students through campus and outreach activities for the college
- Represent the College of Engineering on campus and in the community
- Further develop personal leadership and communication skills
- Assist students with time management and study skills
- Act as an academic and campus resource
- Encourage student developmental opportunities (e.g., study abroad, research, and internships and co-ops)
- Build community in the college through coordinating large-scale social programs
To be eligible, a student must be enrolled full-time in the UNL College of Engineering. Students must be in good standing academically, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Students must also be involved with one other student organization in the college by the end of their first semester of participation.
Selection of new Diplomat will occur during September of each school year and will be ongoing throughout the year as needed. Once the program is underway, current Diplomat may continue their membership, as long as their commitment is shown to be consistent and strong.
Interested in becoming a diplomat?
If you are interested in becoming an Engineering Diplomat, please contact Maggie Jobes (firstname.lastname@example.org).