Engineering Math Prep Academy
Peter Kiewit Institute
August 9, 2014 to August 17, 2014|
About the Instructors
Instructors for the academy will be Dr. Dana Richter-Egger (director of the UNO Math-Science Learning Center) and Prof. Derrick Nero (Engineering Education instructor, UNO College of Education). Below are some comments concerning their instruction:
About Dr. Richter-Egger:
" … your class and teaching style are engaging and I am excited to come to class every day. You present the material in a very understandable, energetic way; and having experienced the opposite I am especially appreciative." -- Gates
About Prof. Nero:
"...challenges his students with his projects!...[he] sets high expectations for timeliness, quality of work and responsibility for projects."
August 9-17, 2014
Omaha Campus (held at The Peter Kiewit Institute)
What is the College of Engineering Math Prep Academy?Our math academy is a one-week academic residential program designed to provide a head start for our incoming engineering and construction management students. It is aimed at enhancing the quality and quantity of students successfully completing their degree through the UNL College of Engineering (Omaha Campus).
What will the Engineering Math Prep Academy offer you?The program will support you in successfully completing your first year of an engineering education by providing you with the following:
- Supplemental math instruction emphasizing future Calculus I success
- Strategies for academic success
- Participation in a community service project
- Interaction with faculty/staff, current students and alumni
- An opportunity to meet other new College of Engineering students
Eligibility and RequirementsTo participate, you must:
- be an incoming 2014 first-year student admitted to the UNL College of Engineering (Omaha Campus)
- be registered for Fall 2014 classes by July 25, 2014
- be willing to fully participate in all program activities
- live on campus for a week during the summer (including weekends)
- not work during the summer program
- be placed into MATH 1950 (Calculus I) -- can be placed based on ACT/SAT math sub-scores or the Calculus (Compass) placement test
AccommodationsAll students will live at Scott Hall and receive a full meal plan for the duration of the program. Move out will be Aug. 17. If you are signed up to live at Scott Village or Scott Court for the academic year, you can move in on Sunday, Aug. 17.
If you are living at Scott Hall, Maverick Village or University Village during the academic year, you should contact the following before July 25 to move in earlier than your scheduled move-in date (an additional fee will apply):
- Scott Hall: Bonnie Crowley / (402) 778-6541 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maverick Village or University Village: email@example.com / (402) 554-6600
CostIf accepted to the Engineering Math Prep Academy, a $200 program fee is required. As an additional benefit, the College of Engineering will waive the $90 fee for N.U.B.E. Camp for academy participants. For N.U.B.E. Camp information and registration, please visit http://nube.unl.edu.
Acceptance to the AcademyIf you are accepted to the academy and have received a confirmation from the college, the following is necessary to complete the process:
- The $200 payment should be sent in the form of a check or money order made out to “University of Nebraska-Lincoln” and mailed to the address below. The academy fee must be received by July 25. If you are interested in attending the math prep academy but need financial assistance. please contact Alma Ramirez-Rodgers (see information below).
- Complete the Parental Waiver / Code of Conduct forms and send with your payment.
UNL College of Engineering
c/o Alma Ramirez-Rodgers
1110 S. 67th Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0791
For more information, contact:
Alma Ramirez-Rodgers, PKI 102C
402-554-3618 / firstname.lastname@example.org