Engineering Math Prep Academy
Engineering Math Prep Academy
|Engineering Math Prep Academy Details|
Peter Kiewit Institute
August 5, 2017 to August 13, 2017
MPA Participant Comments
"Best camp ever! I was really not expecting to have so much fun. Everyone was so nice and the activities were challenging but fun."
-Rebecca K. (2015)
"MPA has changed my future by providing me with strategies for college and revealing different aspects of engineering for me."
-Samuel M. (2015)
"The instructors and counselors took time to learn the names of all the students and connect on an individual level"
- Nicholas T. (2015)
"MPA helped me refresh on math, adjust to life in the dorms and make friends."
-Brianna V. (2015)
"The instruction, activities, and interactions all increased my knowledge in a fun environment. My calculus prep skills have been fully refreshed and new skills were learned as well."
- Jimmy A. (2014)
"It has helped me to adjust to college life, make new friends, and improve my math skills."
- Riley H. (2014)
What is the College of Engineering Math Prep Academy?
Our math academy is a one-week academic residential program designed to provide a head start for our incoming engineering and construction management students. It is aimed at enhancing the quality and quantity of students successfully completing their degree through the UNL College of Engineering (Omaha Campus).
What will the Engineering Math Prep Academy offer you?
The program will support you in successfully completing your first year of an engineering education by providing you with the following:
- Supplemental math instruction emphasizing future Calculus I success
- Strategies and planning for academic success
- Participation in a community service project
- Interaction with faculty/staff, current students and alumni
- An opportunity to meet other new College of Engineering students
Eligibility and Requirements
To participate, you must:
- be an incoming 2017 first-year student admitted to the UNL College of Engineering (Omaha Campus)
- have completed freshman orientation and be registered for Fall 2017 classes by July 21, 2017
- be willing to fully participate in all program activities
- live on campus for a week during the summer (including weekends)
- not work during the summer program
- be placed into MATH 1950 (Calculus I) or have taken Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus or Calculus in high school
To be considered for the academy, you must apply no later than July 7:
- June 2 at 5 p.m. - early application deadline, $200 program fee
- July 7 at 5 p.m. - late application deadline, $250 program fee
- Due to limited spots (3o maximum), you will be informed if you are accepted into the program soon after the submission of your application
All students will live at Scott Hall and receive a full meal plan for the duration of the program. Move out will be Aug. 13. If you are signed up to live at Scott Village or Scott Court for the academic year, you can move in on Sunday, Aug. 13.
If you are living at Scott Hall, Maverick Village, University Village or JPII Newman Center during the academic year, you should contact the following (before July 21) if you wish to move in earlier than your scheduled move-in date (an additional fee per night may apply):
- Scott Hall: Libby Coker, firstname.lastname@example.org / (402) 778-6541
- Maverick Village or University Village: email@example.com / (402) 554-6605
- JPII Newman Center: Adam Ybarra, firstname.lastname@example.org / (402) 558-3100
If accepted to the Engineering Math Prep Academy, a $200 program fee is required ($250 late application fee).
Acceptance to the Academy
If you are accepted to the Academy and have received a confirmation from the college, the following is necessary to complete the process and reserve your spot:
- The $200/$250 payment should be paid online here or sent in the form of a check or money order made out to “University of Nebraska-Lincoln” and mailed to the address below. The Academy fee must be received no later than July 14 (no refunds after this date). If you are interested in attending the Math Prep Academy but need financial assistance, please contact Alma Ramirez-Rodgers (see information below).
- Complete the Parental Waiver / Student Acceptance and Challenge Course Release forms (if you did not submit payment online, please also include your check or money order).
Send completed forms to (include check if you did not submit MPA fee online):
Math Prep Academy
UNL College of Engineering
c/o Alma Ramirez-Rodgers, PKI 102C
1110 S. 67th Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0791
For more information, contact:
Alma Ramirez-Rodgers, PKI 102C
402-554-3618 / email@example.com