Engineering Math Prep Academy
|Engineering Math Prep Academy Details|
Peter Kiewit Institute
August 8, 2015 to August 16, 2015
MPA 2014 Participant Comments
"This was so fun and I would recommend it to anyone! The counselors were perfect, as well as the teachers!"
- Rose G.
"The instruction, activities, and interactions all increased my knowledge in a fun environment. My calculus prep skills have been fully refreshed and new skills were learned as well."
- Jimmy A.
"The teachers were one of my favorite parts of the camp."
"It has helped me to adjust to college life, make new friends, and improve my math skills."
- Riley H.
"I appreciated both instructor’s individual approach. MPA helped me gauge my foundation in math and helped me analyze my cognitive process."
- Lasha G.
August 8-16, 2015
Omaha Campus (held at The Peter Kiewit Institute)
What is the College of Engineering Math Prep Academy?Our math academy is a one-week academic residential program designed to provide a head start for our incoming engineering and construction management students. It is aimed at enhancing the quality and quantity of students successfully completing their degree through the UNL College of Engineering (Omaha Campus).
What will the Engineering Math Prep Academy offer you?The program will support you in successfully completing your first year of an engineering education by providing you with the following:
- Supplemental math instruction emphasizing future Calculus I success
- Strategies and planning for academic success
- Participation in a community service project
- Interaction with faculty/staff, current students and alumni
- An opportunity to meet other new College of Engineering students
Eligibility and RequirementsTo participate, you must:
- be an incoming 2015 first-year student admitted to the UNL College of Engineering (Omaha Campus)
- have completed freshman orientation and be registered for Fall 2015 classes by July 24, 2015
- be willing to fully participate in all program activities
- live on campus for a week during the summer (including weekends)
- not work during the summer program
- be placed into MATH 1950 (Calculus I) or have taken Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus or Calculus in high school
- June 5 at 5 p.m. - early application deadline, $200 program fee
- July 10 at 5 p.m. - late application deadline, $250 program fee
- Due to limited spots (3o maximum), you will be informed if you are accepted into the program soon after the submission of your application
MPA Information NightJoin us for the Engineering Math Prep Academy Information Night to learn more about the program and meet MPA instructors, staff and 2014 participants.
- Thursday, May 14, 2015
- Peter Kiewit Institute, room 158
- Light snacks will be provided
- RSVP by May 13
AccommodationsAll students will live at Scott Hall and receive a full meal plan for the duration of the program. Move out will be Aug. 16. If you are signed up to live at Scott Village or Scott Court for the academic year, you can move in on Sunday, Aug. 16.
If you are living at Scott Hall, Maverick Village or University Village during the academic year, you should contact the following (before July 24) if you wish to move in earlier than your scheduled move-in date (an additional fee will apply):
- Scott Hall: Libby Coker / (402) 778-6541 / email@example.com
- Maverick Village or University Village: firstname.lastname@example.org / (402) 554-6600
CostIf accepted to the Engineering Math Prep Academy, a $200 program fee is required ($250 late application fee). As an additional benefit, the College of Engineering will waive the $90 fee for N.U.B.E. Camp for Academy participants. For N.U.B.E. Camp information and registration, please visit http://nube.unl.edu.
Acceptance to the AcademyIf you are accepted to the Academy and have received a confirmation from the college, the following is necessary to complete the process and reserve your spot:
- The $200/$250 payment should be paid online here or sent in the form of a check or money order made out to “University of Nebraska-Lincoln” and mailed to the address below. The Academy fee must be received no later than July 17 (no refunds after this date). If you are interested in attending the Math Prep Academy but need financial assistance, please contact Alma Ramirez-Rodgers (see information below).
- Complete the Parental Waiver / Code of Conduct forms (if you did not submit payment online, please also include your check or money order).
Math Prep Academy
UNL College of Engineering
c/o Alma Ramirez-Rodgers
1110 S. 67th Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0791
For more information, contact:
Alma Ramirez-Rodgers, PKI 102C
402-554-3618 / email@example.com