- Ph.D., 2005 Purdue University
- M.S., 2002 Purdue University
- B.S., 2000 University of Oklahoma
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Mechanical systems design and analysis
- Medical robotics (including surgical and rehabilitation applications)
- Modularity in mechanical systems
- Graph-theoretic techniques in robotics and mechanical systems design
- For more information, visit Dr. Nelson's Research Group
Sep 15, 2016: Aerospace Club launches NASA design project
Jul 15, 2016: ASR team creates ways to bridge gaps in NASA challenge
Apr 25, 2016: Fourteen faculty granted promotion or tenure
Sep 23, 2014: MME professor Nelson chosen one of ASEE's "20 Under 40"
Apr 29, 2014: Engineering innovation finishes among best in the nation
Dec 17, 2009: UNL team chosen for NASA's 2010 Microgravity U.
Apr 20, 2009: Engineering a strong presence at UNL Research Fair
Feb 11, 2009: Engineers earn 2009 Folsom graduate awards
About Carl Nelson
Dr. Nelson joined the faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 2005. Prior to coming to UNL, he attended Purdue University, where he received an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship and completed his MSME and PhD degrees. Dr. Nelson is a member of the ASME, and his teaching experience includes courses in flight science at Johns Hopkins University's Center for Talented Youth and algebra at Ivy Tech State College of Indiana. Since coming to UNL, Dr. Nelson has taught Dynamic Systems Modeling and Control (MECH 350), Biomedical Device Design (MECH 437/837), Mechanical Engineering Design I (MECH 446), and Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery (MECH 342).
In the News:
In the News:
- On Air in Midair (NASA.gov)
- Nelson, C. A., and Cipra, R. J., "Simplified Kinematic Analysis of Bevel Epicyclic Gear Trains with Application to Power Flow and Efficiency Analyses," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 127, No. 2, March 2005, pp. 278-286.
- Miller, D. J., Nelson, C. A., Oleynikov, D., and Jones, D. D., “Pre-Operative Ordering of Minimally Invasive Surgical Tools: A Fuzzy Inference System Approach,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol. 43, No. 1, May 2008, pp. 35-45.
- Miller, D. J. and Nelson, C. A., “Novel Mechanical Actuation of a Modular Laparoscopic Surgical Tool,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2008, 8 pp.
- Zhang, X. and Nelson, C. A., “Kinematic Analysis and Optimization of a Novel Robot for Surgical Tool Manipulation,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 2, June 2008, 8 pp.
- Miller, D. J., Luxon, E., and Nelson, C. A., “Intelligent Modular Tool for Emergency Surgical Treatment During Payload-Critical Missions,” Transactions of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences, Vol. 31 (August 2008), pp. 69-76.
- Ryland, K., Nelson, C. A., and Hejkal, T., “An Infant Surgical Table for Laser Photocoagulation: Design and Development,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2008, 8 pp.
- Miller, D. J., Nelson, C. A., and Oleynikov, D., “Shortened OR Time and Decreased Patient Risk Through Use of a Modular Surgical Instrument with Artificial Intelligence,” Surgical Endoscopy, Vol. 23, No. 5, 2009, pp. 1099-1105.
- Nelson, C. A., Zhang, X., Shah, B. C., Goede, M. R., Oleynikov, D., “Multipurpose Surgical Robot as a Laparoscope Assistant,” Surgical Endoscopy, Vol. 24, No. 7 (July 2010), pp. 1528-1532.
- Nelson, C. A., Zhang, X., Buettner, S., Oleynikov, D., “Tool Guidance using a Compact Robotic Assistant,” Journal of Robotic Surgery, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2009, pp. 171-173.
- Ryland, K., Nelson, C. A., Hejkal, T., “An Infant Surgical Table for Laser Photocoagulation: Ergonomic Improvement Analysis,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2010, pp. 124-133.
- Miller, D. J., Nelson, C. A., Cannon, M. B., Cannon, K., “Comparison of Fuzzy Clustering Methods and Their Applications to Geophysics Data,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, Vol. 2009, Article ID 876361, 16 pages, doi:10.1155/2009/876361.
- Lehman, A. C., Tiwari, M. M., Shah, B. C., Farritor, S. M., Nelson, C. A., Oleynikov, D., “Recent Advances in the CoBRASurge Robotic Manipulator and Dexterous Miniature In Vivo Robotics for Minimally Invasive Surgery,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Part C, Proc. IMechE, Vol. 224, No. 7, 2010, pp. 1487-1494.
- Zhang, X., and Nelson, C. A., “On the Dynamic Modeling of a Bevel-Geared Surgical Robotic Mechanism,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 4, No. 4, December 2010, 11 pp.
- Zhang, X., and Nelson, C. A., “Multiple-Criteria Kinematic Optimization for the Design of Spherical Serial Mechanisms using Genetic Algorithms,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 133, No. 1, 2011, DOI: 10.1115/1.4003138.
- Midday, J., Nelson, C. A., Goyzueta, A., Oleynikov, D., “Material Handling System for Natural Orifice Surgery,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 7, No. 1, 011003 (Feb 04, 2013, 7 pages), doi:10.1115/1.4023265.
- Hossain, S.G.M., Nelson, C. A., Chu, K., Dasgupta, P. (2014), "Kinematics and Interfacing of ModRED: A Self-Healing Capable, Four-DOF Modular Self-Reconfigurable Robot," ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol. 6, No. 4:041017 (12 pp.).
- Shen, T., Nelson, C., Warburton. K., Oleynikov, D. (2015), "Design and Analysis of a Novel Articulated Drive Mechanism for Multifunctional NOTES Robot," ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol. 7, No. 1, 011004 (8 pages), doi:10.1115/1.4029307.