Michael NastasiProfessor and Director of Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research (NCESR)
• Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research
• American Physical Society (APS)
• The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
• Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, 1986, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, 1983, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, 1981, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Materials for extreme nuclear environments
- irradiation induced phase transformations
- ion irradiation and plasma modification of materials
- synthesis and properties of high strength nanolayered composites
- US PATENT 5,458,927: Process for the formation of wear- and scuff-resistant carbon coatings, Author: Malaczynski, Gerard W.; Qiu, Xiaohong ; Mantese, Joseph V.; Elmoursi, Alaa A. ; Hamdi, Aboud H ; Wood, Blake P.; Walter, Kevin C.; Nastasi, Michael A.
- US PATENT 5,817,326: Processing of hydroxylapatite coatings on titanium alloy bone prostheses Author: Nastasi, Michael A.; Levine, Timothy E.; Mayer, James W.
- US PATENT 6,572,933: Forming adherent coatings using plasma processing, Nastasi, Michael A.; Walter, Kevin C.; Rej, Donald J.
- US PATENT 6,572,935: Optically transparent, scratch-resistant, diamond-like carbon coatings, He, Xiao Ming; Lee, Deok Hyung; Nastasi, Michael A.; Walter, Kevin C.; Tuszewski, Michel.
- US PATENT 6,572,937: Method for producing fluorinated diamond-like carbon films, Hakovirta, Marko; Nastasi, Michael A.; Lee, Deok-Hyung; He, Xiao-Ming.
- US PATENT 7,078.108 B2: Preparation of High-Strength Nanometer Scale Twined Coating and Foil, Zhang, Xinghang: Misra, Amit; Nastasi, Michael A.; Hoagland, Richard G.
- US PATENT 7153761: Method of transferring a thin crystalline semiconductor layer, M. A. Nastasi, L. Shao, N.D. Theodore
- US PATENT 7,541,261: Flexible electronics using ion implantation to adhere polymer substrate to single crystal silicon substrate, Terry L. Alford, Douglas C. Thompson Jr, Hyunchul Kim, Michael A. Nastasi, James W. Mayer, Daniel Adams
- US PATENT 7,638,410: Method of transferring strained semiconductor structures, Michael A. Nastasi, Lin Shao
About Michael Nastasi
Dr. Michael Nastasi is director of the Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research (NCESR) at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). He is also the Elmer Koch Professor of Mechanical & Materials Engineering.
Mike received his B.S. (1981), M.S. (1983) and Ph.D. (1986) degrees from the Materials Science and Engineering Department at Cornell University. Prior to coming to UNL in January 2012, Mike was a laboratory fellow, staff scientist, and director of the Energy Frontier Research Center on Materials at Irradiation and Mechanical Extreme at Los Alamos National Laboratory (1985–2011).
As director of the NCESR, Mike’s goals are to:
- Develop innovative research programs that enhance renewable energy resources and energy conservation in Nebraska and worldwide
- Support economic development in Nebraska through: (i) development of new technologies and commercialization in new businesses, (ii) identification of the most effective policies and incentives at federal, state, and local levels to foster development of renewable energy resources, and (iii) student education and human resource development to support energy industries
- Position UNL to be more competitive for external funding from government agencies, private foundations, and the private sector.
Mike’s personal research interests include ion-solid interactions, irradiation induced phase transformations, ion irradiation and plasma modification of materials, ion beam analysis of materials, synthesis and properties of high strength nanolayered composites, and surface mechanical properties. Mike’s work in these areas has resulted in several awards, including the 1995 Los Alamos National Laboratory Fellows Prize for his extensive research in ion-solid interactions and the R&D 100 Award in 1997 for Plasma Source Ion Implantation for Enhancing Materials Surfaces. He was appointed a Los Alamos National Laboratory Fellow in the summer of 2000, was made Fellow of the American Physical Society in 2006, and appointed fellow of Materials Research Society in 2011.
Mike has served as an adjunct professor at Arizona State University, the University of Maryland, and the University of Colorado, and has been a visiting professor at the University of Helsinki in Finland. He has co-authored more than 500 refereed publications, which have been cited more than 6,000 times; authored the books entitled Ion-Solid Interactions: Fundamentals and Applications, published by Cambridge University Press in 1996, and Ion Implantation and Synthesis of Materials, published by Springer-Verlag, Berlin in 2006; and edited several volumes, including the MRS bestseller, the Handbook of Modern Ion Beam Materials Analysis.
- 2012 – Present
Director, Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research (NCESR)
Elmer Koch Professor, Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering
- 2009 – 2011
Director, Department of Energy Energy Frontier Research Center on Materials at Irradiation and Mechanical Extremes
- 2001– 2009
Nano Electronics and Mechanics Thrust Leader, Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT), a DOE Nanoscale Science Research Center
- 2000 – 2012
Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 1996 – 2011
Team Leader, Nano Science and Ion-Solid Interaction Team, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 1993 – 2006
Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemical, Biological, and Materials Engineering, Arizona State University
- 1985 – 1996
Staff Member, Materials Science and Technology Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Editor and Editorial Board Positions:
- Past Member of Editorial Board of Nuclear Instrumentation & Methodology, Section B: Beam Interactions with Matter and Atoms
- Past Principle Editor of the Journal of Materials Research
- Past Chairman of MRS Bulletin Publications Subcommittee
- Past Chairman of the Editorial Board of the MRS Bulletin
- Past Chairman MRS Book Review Committee
- Development in High-Temperature Superconducting Materials, October 1 - 2, 1987, Santa Fe, NM
- High Energy and Heavy Ion Beams in Materials Analysis, June 14 - 16, 1989, Albuquerque, NM
- Mechanical Properties and Deformation Behavior of Materials Having Ultrafine Microstructures, NATO Advanced Study Institute, June 28- July 10, 1992, Portugal
- Beam-Solid Interactions: Fundamentals & Applications, Fall MRS, 1992
- Tenth International Conference on Ion Beam Modification of Materials, Sept. 1-6, 1996, Albuquerque, NM
- Thin Films: Stresses and Mechanical Properties, MRS, December 1997
- Mechanical Properties of Films, Coatings and Interfacial Composites, June 27–July 2, 1998, Il Cicco Conference Center, Castelvecchio Pascole, Italy
- Wafer bonding and thinning techniques for materials integration, Spring MRS, 2000
- Fourteenth International Conference on Ion Implantation Technology, Sept. 22 – 27, 2002, Taos, NM
- Ion Beam and Nanomaterials, XVIII International Materials rResearch Congress, Aug. 16 -21, 2009, Cancún, Mexico
- Member of the International Committee overseeing the International Conference Series on Ion Beam Modification of Materials
- Member of the International Committee overseeing the International Conference Series on Plasma-Based Ion Implantation
Honors and Awards
- h-index: 38 (including books)
- Fellow of Materials Research Society (MRS) (2011)
- Awarded one of the 46 Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) awards by the DOE (2009)
- Fellow of APS (2006)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Fellow (2000)
- Listed in the “Top 50 most published authors at LANL” in the last 10 years (1996-2005) based on peer-reviewed publications, citations and patents, with a rank of 4th based on peer-reviewed publications alone
- R&D 100 Award for Plasma Source Ion Implantation for Enhancing Materials Surfaces (1997)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Fellows Prize for his extensive research in ion-solid interactions (1995 )
- The Department of the Navy Alan Berman Research Publication Award (1990)
- Handbook of Modern Ion-Beam Materials Analysis, 2nd edition edsY. Wang and M. Nastasi, (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 2009).
- Ion Implantation and Synthesis of Materials, Michael Nastasi and James W. Mayer (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2006)
- Handbook of Modern Ion-Beam Materials Analysis, eds. J.R. Tesmer, M. Nastasi, C.J. Maggiore, J.C. Barbour, J.W. Mayer (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1995).
- Ion-Solid Interactions: Fundamentals and Applications, Michael Nastasi, James K. Hirvonen, and James W. Mayer (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1996).
- High Energy and Heavy Ion Beams in Materials Analysis, eds., J.R. Tesmer, C.J. Maggiore, M. Nastasi, J.C. Barbour, J.W. Mayer (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA 1990)
- Mechanical Properties and Deformation Behavior of Materials Having Ultra-Fine Microstructures, eds. M. Nastasi, D.M. Parkin, and H. Gleiter (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrech, 1993) NATO-ASI Vol. E233
- Beam-Solid Interactions: Fundamentals and Applications, eds., M. Nastasi, N. Herbots, L.R. Harriott, and R.S. Averback, Materials Research Society Proceedings, Vol. 279. 1993.
- Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Ion Beam Modification of Materials, eds. J.C. Barbour and M. Nastasi, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physical Research B127/128 (1997)
- Materials Chemistry and Physics, eds. M. Nastasi, S.S. Lau, and L.C. Feldman, (Elsevier Science S.A., Lausanne, 1996) Volume 46, numbers 2-3
- Thin-Films: Stresses and Mechanical Properties VII, eds., R.C. Cammarata, M. Nastasi, E.P. Busso, and W.C. Oliver, Materials Research Society Proceedings, Vol. 505, 1998.
- Wafer Bonding and Thinning Techniques for Materials Integration, eds: Tony E. Haynes, Ulrich M. Gosele, Michael Nastasi, and Takao Yonehara, Materials Research Society Proceedings, Volume 681E, 2001
- Proceedings of the14th International Conference on Ion Implantation Technology, 22-27 Sept. 2002, Taos, NM, USA Editors: B. Brown, T.L. Alford, M. Nastasi, and M.C. Vella, (IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 2003)
Book Chapters and Review Articles:
- Ion Beam Analysis and Modification of Thin Film High Temperature Superconductors, M. Nastasi, in Structure-Property Relations in Ion-Beam Surface Modified Ceramics-Theory and Practice, eds. C.J. McHargue, R. Kossowsky, and W.O. Hofer (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1989) p. 477.
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Phase Transformations Induced by Ion Irradiation, M. Nastasi and J.W. Mayer, Materials Science Reports 6 (1991) 1.
- Ion Beam Mixing in Metallic and Semiconductor Materials, M. Nastasi and J.W. Mayer, Materials Science and Engineering Reports R12 (1994) 1.
- Ion Implantation, K.C. Walter and M. Nastasi, in Kirk-Othmer Encylcopedia of Chemical Technology, 4th edition, Volume 14 (Wiley Interscience, New York, 1995) pp. 783-814.
- M. Nastasi and G. Hubler, Ion Implantation with Beams, in the Handbook of Thin Film Process Technology, supplement 96-2, edited by D.A. Glocker and S.I. Shah (IOP, Bristol, 1996) Section E2.2