P3: Assistance Modes
P3 Interns provide technical assistance to businesses in two basic ways, as outlined below:Industrial Placement – One Student/One Business – Full Summer Projects
- Interns assist larger businesses in Nebraska with one or more complex pollution prevention (source reduction) projects focused on sustainable manufacturing for 10 weeks in the summer.
- Interns spend the entire 10 weeks in the summer at one business.
- A typical assignment may involve seeking to reduce the most costly waste streams and involve in-depth analyses of several processes.
- Interns become experts about the businesses’ operations and do the legwork to find more environmentally suitable equipment, materials or supplies.
- Businesses receive one or more reports detailing work completed during the summer and outlining recommendations for environmental and monetary savings.
- Businesses provide office space, computer access, part of the intern’s salary (approximately $4,000) and regular on-site supervision for the intern.
Industrial Placement Intern Kurtis Palu worked at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln during the summer of 2010 to reduce energy consumption, solid waste and water use. He researched geothermal and solar heating systems.
Small Business – One or Two Students/Several Businesses – Partial Summer Projects
- Interns provide brief assistance for several Agricultural producers.
- Interns visit each business client once or twice to conduct waste assessments or research particular environmental problems.
- Typical projects involve a focus on a limited number of issues and take approximately two-to-three weeks from start to finish.
- Interns may do some preliminary legwork to find more environmentally suitable equipment, materials or supplies.
- Businesses receive a reports detailing work completed and outlining recommendations for environmental and monetary savings.
- Assistance is provided at no charge to the business.