Faculty in discipline-based education research (DBER) in engineering seek undergraduate researchers to join a Fall Research Program that introduces students to research in engineering education and builds research skills appropriate for any engineering field. DBER in engineering encompasses the study of the teaching and learning of our youngest engineering hopefuls to the practices and wisdom of our retiring engineers and all students and practitioners in between. The body of research that is generated provides the evidence for local, national, and global change in how we educate students.
Participants in the Fall Research Program will each have their own assigned project culminating in a research poster presentation (for examples, see Current and Past Students).
Learning opportunities include but are not limited to:
• Data analysis to expand skills with Excel and other research tools
• Literature review and reading to become more familiar with library resources and research in engineering education
• Research poster construction and manuscript writing to gain experience with research dissemination
Other professional development opportunities will be available based on participant’s needs and interests.
Participants must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours each week. Work will be conducted independently with twice-weekly meetings with the overall DBER team and the supervising faculty member. Successful students may be invited to continue with their undergraduate research after the end of the Fall Research Program.
• Must be an undergraduate student in at least the second year of study at UNL
• All engineering majors considered.
• Must be self-motivated, dependable, and capable of working independently as well as on a team.
• Willing to learn new skills.
Deadline for Fall applications is August 15. Preference will be given to applications submitted by May 1st.
Please email cover letter, including interest in engineering education research, resume, and unofficial transcript (generated in MyRED or MavLink) to Dr. Grace Panther (firstname.lastname@example.org).