Christopher Neale, Ph.D
Dr Suite 3220
Lincoln NE 68588-6203
Dr Suite 3220
Lincoln NE 68588-6203
Lincoln: Innovation Campus
Personal Links:• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Professional Memberships:• American Geophysical Union
• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
• American Society of Civil Engineers
• International Association of Hydrological Sciences
• International Society for Optics and Photonics
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Escola de Engenharia Mauá, São Caetano do Sul, São Paulo, Brazil
REFEREED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Odi-Lara, M., Campos, I., Neale, C.M.U., Ortega-Farias, S., Poblete-Echeverria, C., Balbontin, C., and Calera, A. 2016. Estimating Evapotranspiration of an Apple Orchard Using a Remote Sensing-Based Soil Water Balance. Remote Sensing, Vol. 8, Issue 3, Pages: 612-631.
- Corcoles, J.I., Frizzone, J.A., Lima, S.C.R.V., Mateos, L., Neale, C.M.U., Snyder, R.L., and Souza, F. 2016. Irrigation Advisory Service and Performance Indicators in Baixo Acarau Irrigation District, Brazil. Irrigation and Drainage, Volume: 65, Issue: 1, Pages: 61-72. DOI: 10.1002/ird.1941
- Campos, Isidro, Balbontin, C., Gonzalez-Piqueras, J., Gonzalez-Dugo, M.P., Neale, C.M.U., and Calera, A. 2016. Combining a water balance model with evapotranspiration measurements to estimate total available soil water in irrigated and rainfed vineyards. Agricultural Water Management, Volume: 165, Pages: 141-152. DOI: 10.1016/j.agwat.2015.11.018
- Glenn, D.T., Endter-Wada, J., Kjelgren, R., and Neale, C.M.U. 2015. Tools for evaluating and monitoring effectiveness of urban landscape water conservation interventions and programs. Landscape and Urban Planning, Volume: 139, Pages: 82-93.
- Biudes, Marcelo Sacardi, George Louis Vourlitis, Nadja Gomes Machado, Paulo Henrique Zanella de Arruda, Geraldo Aparecido Rodrigues Neves, Francisco de Almeida Lobo, Christopher M.U. Neale, and José de Souza Nogueira. 2015. Patterns of energy exchange for tropical ecosystems across a climate gradient in Mato Grosso, Brazil. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. Volume 202, 15 March 2015, Pages 112–124.
- Taghvaeian, Saleh, Christopher M.U. Neale, John Osterberg, Subramania I. Sritharan, and Doyle R. Watts. 2014. Water Use and Stream-Aquifer-Phreatophyte Interaction along a Tamarisk-Dominated Segment of the Lower Colorado River. In Remote Sensing of the Terrestrial Water Cycle. American Geophysical Union. DOI: 10.1002/9781118872086.ch6
- Campos, Isidro, Christopher M.U. Neale, Maria-Llanos López, Claudio Balbontín, and Alfonso Calera. 2014. Analyzing the effect of shadow on the relationship between ground cover and vegetation indices by using spectral mixture and radiative transfer models. J. Appl. Remote Sens. 8(1), 083562 (Aug 25, 2014). doi:10.1117/1.JRS.8.083562
- Zaccaria, D., and Neale, C.M.U. 2014. Modeling delivery performance in pressurized irrigation systems from simulated peak-demand flow configurations. Irrigation Science, Volume: 32, Issue: 4, Pages: 295-317. DOI: 10.1007/s00271-014-0426-4
- Vanderlinder, M.S., C.M.U. Neale, D.E. Rosenberg, and K.M. Kettenring, 2014. Use of remote sensing to assess changes in wetland plant communities over an 18-year period: A case study from the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Great Salt Lake, Utah. Western North American Naturalist, Volume: 74, Issue: 1, Pages: 33-46.
- Cheryl Jaworowski, Henry Heasler, Christopher Neale, and Sivarajan Saravanan Ashish Masih. 2013. Temporal and seasonal variations of the Hot Spring Basin Hydrothermal System, Yellowstone National Park, USA. Remote Sens. 2013, 5, 6587-6610; doi:10.3390/rs5126587
- Paul, G., Gowda, P.H., Prasad, P.V. Vara, Howell, T.A., Staggenborg, S.A., and Neale, C.M.U. 2013. Lysimetric evaluation of SEBAL using high resolution airborne imagery from BEAREX08. Advances in Water Resources, 59, 157- 168.
- Zaccaria, D., Lamaddalena, N., Neale, C.M.U., Merkley, G.P., Palmisano, N., and Passarella, G. 2013. Simulation of peak-demand hydrographs in pressurized irrigation delivery systems using a deterministic–stochastic combined model. Part I: Model development. Irrigation Science, 31(3), 209-224.
- Zaccaria, D., Lamaddalena, N., Neale, C.M.U., Merkley, G.P. 2013. Simulation of peak-demand hydrographs in pressurized irrigation delivery systems using a deterministic–stochastic combined model. Part II: Model applications. Irrigation Science, 31(3), 192-208.
- Alfieri, J.G., W.P. Kustas, J.H. Prueger, L.E. Hipps, S.R. Evett, J.B. Basara, C.M.U. Neale, A.N. French, P. Colaizzi, N. Agam, M.H. Cosh, J.L. Chavez, and T.A. Howell. 2012. On the discrepancy between eddy covariance and lysimetry-based surface flux measurements under strongly advective conditions. Advances in Water Resources, Volume 50, December 2012, Pages 62-78, ISSN 0309-1708, 10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.07.008.
- Prueger, J.H., J.G. Alfieri, L.E. Hipps, W.P. Kustas, J.L. Chavez, S.R. Evett, M.C. Anderson, A.N. French, C.M.U. Neale, L.G. McKee, J.L. Hatfield, T.A. Howell, and N. Agam. 2012. Patch scale turbulence over dryland and irrigated surfaces in a semiarid landscape under advective conditions during BEAREX08. Advances in Water Resources, Volume 50, December 2012, Pages 106-119, ISSN 0309-1708, 10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.07.014.
- Kustas, W.P., J.G. Alfieri, M.C. Anderson, P.D. Colaizzi, J.H. Prueger, S.R. Evett, C.M.U. Neale, A.N. French, L.E. Hipps, J.L. Chávez, K.S. Copeland, and T.A. Howell. 2012. Evaluating the two-source energy balance model using local thermal and surface flux observations in a strongly advective irrigated agricultural area. Advances in Water Resources, Volume 50, December 2012, Pages 120-133, ISSN 0309-1708, 10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.07.005.
- Neale, C.M.U., H.M.E. Geli, W.P. Kustas, J.G. Alfieri, P.H. Gowda, S.R. Evett, J.H. Prueger, L.E. Hipps, W.P. Dulaney, J.L. Chávez, A.N. French, and T.A. Howell. 2012. Soil water content estimation using a remote sensing based hybrid evapotranspiration modeling approach. Advances in Water Resources, Volume 50, December 2012, Pages 152-161, ISSN 0309-1708, 10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.10.008.
- Bingham, Q.G., Neilson, B.T., Neale, C.M.U., and Cardenas, M.B. 2012. Application of high-resolution, remotely sensed data for transient storage modeling parameter estimation. Water Resources Research, Volume: 48, Article Number: W08520 DOI: 10.1029/2011WR011594 Published: AUG 25, 2012.
- Geli, Hatim M.E.; Neale, Christopher M.U.; Watts, Doyle; Osterberg, J.; De Bruin, H.A.R.; Kohsiek, W.; Pack, R.T.; and Hipps, L.E. 2012. Scintillometer-Based Estimates of Sensible Heat Flux Using Lidar-Derived Surface Roughness. Journal of Hydrometeorology, Volume: 13, Issue: 4, Pages: 1317-1331 DOI: 10.1175/JHMD-11-085.1 Published: AUG 2012.
- Terletzky, Pat; Ramsey, R. Douglas; and Neale, Christopher M.U. 2012. Spectral Characteristics of Domestic and Wild Mammals. GISScience and Remote Sensing, Volume: 49, Issue: 4, Pages: 597-608 DOI: 10.2747/1548-1603.49.4.597 Published: JUL-AUG 2012.
- Chavez, J.L.; Gowda, P.H.; Howell, T.A.; Garcia, L.A.; Copeland, K.S.; and Neale, C.M.U. 2012. ET Mapping with High-Resolution Airborne Remote Sensing Data in an Advective Semiarid Environment. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering-ASCE, Volume: 138, Issue: 5, Pages: 416-423 DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000417 Published: MAY 2012.
- Zaman, B.; McKee, M.; and Neale, C.M.U. 2012. Fusion of remotely sensed data for soil moisture estimation using relevance vector and support vector machines. International Journal of Remote Sensing, Volume: 33, Issue: 20, Pages: 6516-6552 DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2012.690540 Published: 2012.
- Edward P. Glenn, Christopher M.U. Neale, Doug J. Hunsaker, and Pamela L. Nagler. 2011. Vegetation index-based crop coefficients to estimate evapotranspiration by remote sensing in agricultural and natural ecosystems. Hydrological Processes, Volume 25, Issue 26, Pages 4050-4062.
- Saleh Taghvaeian and Christopher M.U. Neale. 2011. Water balance of irrigated areas: A remote sensing approach. Hydrological Processes, Volume 25, Issue 26, Pages 4132-4141.
- Farag, F.A.; C.M.U. Neale; R.K. Kjelgren; and J. Endter-Wada. 2011. Quantifying Urban Landscape Water Conservation Potential Using High Resolution Remote Sensing and GIS. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 77(11), 1113- 1122.
- Santos, C.A.C., C.M.U. Neale, T.V.R. Rao and B.B. da Silva. 2011. Trends in indices for extremes in daily temperature and precipitation over Utah, USA. International Journal of Climatology, 31(12), 1813-1822.
- Lecina, S., C.M.U. Neale, G.P. Merkley, and C.A.C. Santos. 2011. Irrigation evaluation based on performance analysis and water accounting at the Bear River Irrigation Project (U.S.A.). Agricultural Water Management, 98:1349-1363
- Cardenas B.; C.M.U. Neale; C. Jaworowski; and H. Heasler. 2011. High-resolution mapping of river-hydrothermal water mixing: Yellowstone National Park. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 32(10), 2765-2777.
- Campos, I; C.M.U. Neale; A. Calera; C. Balbontin; and J. G. Piqueras. 2010. Assessing satellite-based basal crop coefficients for irrigated grapes (Vitis vinifera L) Agricultural Water Management, 98(1), 45-54.
- Zaccaria, D., Ines Oueslati, C.M.U. Neale, N. Lamaddalena, and Michele Vurro Luis S. Pereira. 2010. Flexible delivery schedules to improve farm irrigation and reduce pressure on groundwater: A case study in southern Italy. Irrigation Science, Volume 28, Issue 3, Pages 257 - 270.
- Sridhar, B.B.M., R.K. Vincent, W.B. Clapham, S.I. Sritharan, J. Osterberg, C.M.U. Neale, and D.R. Watts. 2010. Mapping saltcedar (Tamarix ramosissima) and other riparian and agricultural vegetation in the Lower Colorado River region using multispectral Landsat TM imagery. Geocarto International. Volume: 25, Issue: 8, Pages: 649-662 DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2010.521857
- Gonzalez-Dugo, M.P., C.M.U. Neale, L. Mateos, W.P. Kustas, J.H. Prueger, M.C. Anderson, and F. Li. 2009. A comparison of operational remote sensing-based models for estimating crop evapotranspiration. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 149, pp. 1843-1853.
- Chavez, J.L., P.H. Gowda, T.A. Howell, C.M.U. Neale, and K.S. Kopeland. 2009. Estimating Hourly Crop ET Using a Two-Source Energy Balance Model and Multispectral Airborne Imagery. Irrigation Science, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 79-91.
- Costa dos Santos, C.A., B.B. Silva, T.V.R. Rao, and C.M.U. Neale. 2009. Energy balance measurements over a banana orchard in the Semiarid region in the Northeast of Brazil. Pesq. agropec. bras., Brasília, 44(11), 1365-1373, Nov. 2009.
- Chavez, J.L., C.M.U. Neale, J.H. Prueger, and W.P. Kustas. 2008. Daily evapotranspiration estimates from extrapolating instantaneous airborne remote sensing ET values. Irrigation Science, Volume: 27, Issue: 1, Pages: 67-81.
- Akasheh O.Z., Neale, C.M.U., and Jayanthi, H. 2008. Detailed mapping of riparian vegetation in the middle Rio Grande River using high resolution multi-spectral airborne remote sensing. Journal of Arid Environments, Volume: 72, Issue: 9, Pages: 1734-1744.
- Endter-Wada J., Kurtzman J., Keenan S.P., Kjelgren R.K., and Neale, C.M.U. 2008. Situational waste in landscape watering: Residential and business water use in an urban Utah community. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Volume: 44, Issue: 4, Pages: 902-920.
- Konrad, C.P., Black, R.W., Voss, F., and Neale, C.M.U. 2008. Integrating remotely acquired and field data to assess effects of setback levees on riparian and aquatic habitats in glacial-melt water rivers. River Research and Applications. Volume: 24, Issue: 4, Pages: 355-372.
- Agam, N., Kustas, W.P., Anderson, M.C., Li, F.Q., and Neale, C.M.U. 2007. A vegetation index based technique for spatial sharpening of thermal imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment, 107(4), 545-558.
- Jayanthi, H., Neale, C.M.U., and Wright, J.L. 2007. Development and validation of canopy reflectance-based crop coefficient for potato. Agricultural Water Management, 88(1- 3), 235-246.
- Cooper, D.I., Eichinger, W.E., Archuleta, J., Hipps, L., Neale, C.M.U., and Prueger, J.H. 2007. An advanced method for deriving latent energy flux from a scanning Raman lidar. Agronomy Journal, 99(1), 272-284.
- Payero, J.O., C.M.U. Neale, and J.L. Wright. 2006. Effect of stability correction on remote sensing estimates of near-noon sensible heat flux of alfalfa and tall fescue grass. International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol 27, No. 2, pp. 307-328.
- Payero, J.O., C.M.U. Neale, and J.L. Wright. 2006. Near-noon albedo values of alfalfa and tall fescue grass derived from multispectral data. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol 27, No. 3, pp. 569 - 586.
- Eichinger, W.E., D.I. Cooper, L.E. Hipps, W.P. Kustas, C.M.U. Neale, and J.H. Prueger. 2006. Spatial and temporal variation in evapotranspiration using Raman lidar. Advances in Water Resources, 29(2), 369-381.
- Neale, C.M.U., H. Jayanthi, and J.L. Wright. 2005. Irrigation water management using high resolution airborne remote sensing. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Systems, Volume 19, Numbers 3-4, Pages: 321 - 336.
- Li, Fuqin, William P.Kustas, John H. Prueger, C.M.U. Neale, and Thomas J. Jackson. 2005. Utility of Remote Sensing Based Two-Source Energy Balance Model Under Low and High Vegetation Cover Conditions. Journal of Hydrometeorology, Vol. 6, No. 6, pages 878-891.
- Chávez, J.L., C.M.U. Neale, L.E. Hipps, J.H. Prueger, and W.P. Kustas. 2005. Comparing aircraft-based remotely sensed energy balance fluxes with eddy covariance tower data using heat flux source area functions. Journal of Hydrometeorology, Vol. 6, No. 6, pages 923–940.
- Prueger, J.H., J.L. Hatfield, W.P. Kustas, L.E. Hipps, J.I. MacPherson, C.M.U. Neale, W.E. Eichinger, D.I. Cooper, and T.B. Parkin. 2005. Tower and Aircraft Eddy Covariance Measurements of Water Vapor, Energy, and Carbon Dioxide Fluxes during SMACEX. Journal of Hydrometeorology, Vol. 6, No. 6, pages 954–960.
- Payero, J.O, C.M.U. Neale, and J.L. Wright. 2005. Estimating soil heat flux for alfalfa and clipped tall fescue grass. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 21(3), 401-409.
- Payero, J.O., C.M.U. Neale, and J.L. Wright. 2005. Non-water-stressed baselines for calculating crop water stress index (CWSI) for alfalfa and tall fescue grass. Transactions of the ASAE, 48(2), 653-661.
- Anderson , M.C., C.M.U. Neale, F. Li, J.M. Norman, W.P. Kustas, H. Jayanthi, and J. Chavez. 2004. Upscaling ground observations of vegetation water content, canopy height, and leaf area index during SMEX02 using aircraft and Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment, 92(4), 447-464.
- Payero, J.O., C.M.U. Neale, and J.L. Wright. 2004. Comparison of eleven vegetation indices for estimating plant height of alfalfa and grass. ASAE Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 20(3), 385-393.
- Payero, J.O., C.M.U. Neale, J.L. Wright, and R.G. Allen. 2003. Guidelines for validating Bowen ratio data. Transactions of the ASAE, 46(4), 1051-1060.
- Cooper, D.I., W.E. Eichinger, J. Archuleta, L. Hipps, J. Kao, M. Y. Leclerc, C.M. Neale, and J. Prueger. 2003. Spatial source-area analysis of three-dimensional moisture fields from lidar, eddy covariance, and a footprint model. Agric. and Forest Meteorol., 114(3-4), 213–234.
- Artan, G.A., C.M.U. Neale, and D.G. Tarboton. 2000. Characteristic Length Scale of Input Data to Distributed Models: Implications for Modelling Grid Size. Journal of Hydrology, 227(1-4), 128-139.
- Hawkins, C.P., K.L. Bartz, and C.M.U. Neale. 1997. Vulnerability of Riparian Vegetation to Catastrophic Flooding: Implications for Riparian Restoration. Restoration Ecology, 5(48), 75-84.
- O’Niell, M.P., J.C. Schmidt, J.P. Dobrowolski, C.P. Hawkins, and C.M.U. Neale. 1997. Identifying Sites for Riparian Restoration: Application of a model to the Upper Arkansas River Basin. Restoration Ecology, 5(48), 85-102.
- Neale, C.M.U. 1997. Classification and Mapping of Riparian Systems Using Airborne Multispectral Videography. Restoration Ecology, 5(48), 103-112.
- Sun, C., C.M.U. Neale, J.J. McDonnell, and H.D. Cheng. 1997. Monitoring land-surface snow conditions from SSM/I data using an artificial neural network classifier. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 35(4), 801-809. JUL 1997.
- M.S. Moran, A. Vidal, D. Troufleau, J. Qi, T.R. Clarke, P.J. Pinter, T.A. Mitchell, Y. Inoue, and C.M.U. Neale. 1997. Combining multifrequency microwave and optical data for crop management. Remote Sensing of Environment, 61(1), 96-109.
- Sun, C., C.M.U. Neale, and J.J. McDonnell. 1996. Snow Wetness Estimates of Vegetated Terrain from Satellite Passive Microwave Data. Hydrological Processes, 10(12), 1619-1628.
- Neale, C.M.U. and B.G. Crowther. 1994. An airborne multispectral video/radiometer remote sensing system: Development and calibration. Remote Sensing of Environment, 49(3), 187-194.
- Neale, C.M.U., M.J. McFarland, and K. Chang. 1990, September. Land Surface Type Classification using microwave brightness temperatures from the Special Sensor Microwave/Imager. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 28(5), 829-838.
- McFarland, M.J., R.L. Miller, and C.M.U. Neale. 1990, September. Land surface temperature derived from the SSM/I passive microwave brightness temperatures. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 28(5), 839-845.
- Neale, C.M.U., W.C. Bausch, and D.F. Heermann. 1989. Development of reflectance based crop coefficients for corn. Transactions of the ASAE, 32(6), 1891-1899.
- Bausch, W.C. and C.M.U. Neale. 1989. Spectral inputs improve corn crop coefficients and irrigation scheduling. Transactions of the ASAE, 32(6), 1901-1908.
- Heilman, J.L., C.L. Brittin, and C.M.U. Neale. 1989. Fetch requirement for Bowen Ratio Measurements of Latent and Sensible Heat. Agriculture and Forestry Meteorology, 44(3-4), 261-273.
- Kruse, G. and C.M.U. Neale. 1989. Sources of error in hydraulic weighing lysimeter measurements. Transactions of the ASAE, 32(1), 81-88.
- Bausch, W.C. and C.M.U. Neale. 1987. Crop coefficients derived from reflected canopy radiation: A concept. Transactions of the ASAE, 30(3), 703-709.
- Ellis J.E., E.G. Kruse, A.E. Mcsay, C.M.U. Neale, and R.A. Horn. 1986. A comparison of 5 irrigation methods on onions. Hortscience, 21(6), 1349-1351.