Derek Heeren, Ph.D., P.E.
Personal Links:• Heeren Research Website
• Water for Food Global Institute
• Irrigation Innovation Consortium
Professional Memberships:• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
• Nebraska Section of the ASABE
• Central Plains Irrigation Association
• Soil Science Society of America
Water for Food Global Institute Faculty Fellow
- Ph.D., Biosystems Engineering, Oklahoma State University, 2012
- M.S., Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, South Dakota State University, 2008
- B.S., Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, South Dakota State University, 2004
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of Oklahoma
- 58% Research
- 40% Teaching
- 2% Service
Curriculum Vitae (CV):
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Irrigation engineering and management
- Sprinkler and variable rate irrigation systems
- Irrigation management based on remote sensing
- Nitrate leaching to groundwater
- International irrigation development
- Irrigation management
- Mechanized systems management
- Irrigation and water resources engineering
Aug 11, 2016: BSE harvests bumper crop of awards at ASABE conference
Sep 08, 2015: Fountain Wars team building momentum for future
- MSYM 452/852 Irrigation Systems Management (fall semesters)
- AGEN/MSYM 854 Irrigation Laboratory and Field Course (summer of even years)
- MSYM 855 Advanced Irrigation Management (spring 2020, 2022)
- AGEN/BSEN 957 Modeling Vadose Zone Hydrology (spring 2018, 2021)
- MSYM 462 Equipment Systems (spring semesters)
About Derek Heeren
The overarching objective of Derek's research program is to enhance and improve both the sustainability of water resources (water quantity and water quality) and the profitability of agricultural production in Nebraska and the Great Plains. His current research interests include sprinkler irrigation, variable rate irrigation, irrigation management based on remote sensing, international irrigation development, and vadose zone hydrology. The objective of his teaching program is to prepare students to be wise managers of irrigation, water resources, and agricultural systems. He is focused on irrigation education at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Derek is the Partnership Coordinator for the partnership between the Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute (DWFI) and the IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, Delft, the Netherlands, which includes a double degree program (M.S.) in Advanced Water Management for Food Production. Before starting his research and teaching career, Derek spent two years working at a civil engineering firm in the St. Louis, Missouri, area. Derek grew up on a farm in southeastern South Dakota and developed an interest in conserving natural resources while participating in FFA land judging and natural resources competitions.
Honors and Awards
- A. W. Farrall Young Educator Award. 2018. Amercian Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award. 2017. Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, South Dakota State University.
- Honoree, recognized for performing highly impactful research. 2017. UNL College of Engineering.
- ASABE Superior Paper Award. 2016. For the refereed journal article: Heeren, D. M., G. A. Fox, and D. E. Storm. Heterogeneity of infiltration rates in alluvial floodplains as measured with a berm infiltration technique.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) STAR Graduate Fellowship. 2011-2012.
Recent Refereed Journal Articles:
- Evett, S. R., P. D. Colaizzi, F. R. Lamm, S. A. O’Shaughnessy, D. M. Heeren, T. J. Trout, W. L. Kranz, and X. Lin. 2020. Past, present and future of irrigation on the U.S. Great Plains. Transactions of the ASABE 63(3): 703-729, doi: 10.13031/trans.13620.
- Chavez, J. L., A. F. Torres-Rua, W. E. Woldt, H. Zhang, C. Robertson, G. W. Marek, D. Wang, D. M. Heeren, S. Taghvaeian, and C. M. U. Neale 2020. A decade of unmanned aerial systems in irrigated agriculture in the Western U.S. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 36(4): 423-436, doi: 10.13031/aea.13941
- Barker, J. B., W. E. Woldt, B. D. Wardlow, M. S. Maguire, B. C. Leavitt, C. M. U. Neale, and D. M. Heeren. 2020. Calibration of a common shortwave multispectral camera system for quantitative agricultural applications. Precision Agriculture 21: 922-935, doi: 10.1007/s11119-019-09701-6.
- Franz, T. E., S. Pokal, J. P. Gibson, Y. Zhou, H. Gholizadeh, F. A. Tenorio, D. R. Rudnick, D. M. Heeren, M. McCabe, M. Ziliani, Z. Jin, K. Guan, M. Pan, J. Gates, and B. D. Wardlow. 2020. The role of topography, soil, and remotely sensed vegetation condition towards predicting crop yield. Field Crops Research 252, doi: 10.1016/j.fcr.2020.107788.
- Bhatti, S., D. M. Heeren, J. B. Barker, C. M. U. Neale, W. E. Woldt, M. S. Maguire, and D. R. Rudnick. 2020. Site-specific irrigation management in a sub-humid climate using a spatial evapotranspiration model with satellite and airborne imagery. Agricultural Water Management 230, doi: 10.1016/j.agwat.2019.105950.
- Singh, J., D. M. Heeren, D. R. Rudnick, W. E. Woldt, G. Bai, Y. Ge, and J. D. Luck. 2020. Soil structure and texture effects on the precision of soil water content measurements with a capacitance-based electromagnetic sensor. Transactions of the ASABE 63(1): 141-152, doi: 10.13031/trans.13496.
- Lo, T., D. R. Rudnick, J. Singh, H. N. Nakabuye, A. Katimbo, D. M. Heeren, and Y. Ge. 2020. Field assessment of interreplicate variability from eight electromagnetic soil moisture sensors. Agricultural Water Management 231, doi: 10.1016/j.agwat.2019.105984.
- Koehler-Cole, K., R. W. Elmore, H. Blanco-Canqui, C. A. Francis, C. A. Shapiro, C. A. Proctor, S. Ruis, D. M. Heeren, S. Irmak, and R. B. Ferguson. 2020. Cover crop productivity and subsequent soybean yield in the Western Corn Belt. Agronomy Journal, doi: 10.1002/agj2.20232.
- Barker, J. B., S. Bhatti, D. M. Heeren, C. M. U. Neale, and D. R. Rudnick. 2019. Variable rate irrigation of maize and soybean in West-Central Nebraska under full and deficit irrigation. Frontiers in Big Data 2(34), doi: 10.3389/fdata.2019.00034.
- O’Shaughnessy, S. A., S. R. Evett, P. D. Colaizzi, M. A. Andrade, T. H. Marek, D. M. Heeren, F. R. Lamm, and J. L. LaRue. 2019. Identifying advantages and disadvantages of variable rate irrigation – an updated review. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 35(6): 837-852, doi: 10.13031/aea.13128.
- Halihan, T., R. B. Miller, D. Correll, D. M. Heeren, and G. A. Fox. 2019. Field evidence of a natural capillary barrier in a gravel alluvial aquifer. Vadose Zone Journal 18:180008, doi:10.2136/vzj2018.01.0008.
- Lo, T., D. R. Rudnick, B. T. Krienke, D. M. Heeren, Y. Ge, and T. M. Shaver. 2019. Water effects on optical canopy sensing for late-season site-specific nitrogen management of maize. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 162: 154-164, doi: 10.1016/j.compag.2019.04.006.
- Mendes, W. R., F. M. U. Araújo, R. Dutta, and D. M. Heeren. 2019. Fuzzy control system for variable rate irrigation using remote sensing. Expert Systems with Applications 124: 13-24, doi: 10.1016/j.eswa.2019.01.043.
- Finkenbiner, C. E., T. E. Franz, J. Gibson, D. M. Heeren, and J. D. Luck. 2019. Integration of hydrogeophysical datasets and empirical orthogonal functions for improved irrigation water management. Precision Agriculture 20(1): 78-100, doi: 10.1007/s11119-018-9582-5.
- Barker, J. B., D. M. Heeren, K. Koehler-Cole, C. A. Shapiro, H. Blanco-Canqui, R. W. Elmore, C. A. Proctor, S. Irmak, C. A. Francis, T. M. Shaver, and A. T. Mohammed. 2018. Cover crops have negligible impact on soil water in Nebraska maize-soybean rotation. Agronomy Journal 110: 1-13, doi: 10.2134/agronj2017.12.0739.
- Freiberger, R. P., D. M. Heeren, D. E. Eisenhauer, A. R. Mittelstet, and G. A. Baigorria. 2018. Tradeoffs in model performance and effort for long-term phosphorus leaching based on in situ field data. Vadose Zone Journal 17:170216, doi: 10.2136/vzj2017.12.0216.
- Barker, J. B., D. M. Heeren, C. M. U. Neale, and D. R. Rudnick. 2018. Evaluation of variable rate irrigation using a remote-sensing-based model. Agricultural Water Management 203: 63-74, doi: 10.1016/j.agwat.2018.02.022.
- Barker, J. B., C. M. U. Neale, D. M. Heeren, and A. E. Suyker. 2018. Evaluation of a hybrid reflectance-based crop coefficient and energy balance evapotranspiration model for irrigation management. Transactions of the ASABE 61(2): 533-548, doi: 10.13031/trans.12311.
- Miller, K. A., J. D. Luck, D. M. Heeren, T. Lo, D. L. Martin, and J. B. Barker. 2018. A geospatial variable rate irrigation control scenario evaluation methodology based on mining root zone available water capacity. Precision Agriculture, doi: 10.1007/s11119-017-9548-z.