Santosh Pitla, Ph.D.
207 L. W. Chase Hall
Lincoln: East Campus
Personal Links:• BSE-PIE Group (Programming, Instrumentation, and Electronics)
Professional Memberships:• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
• Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Ph.D., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky
- M.S., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- 40% Research
- 60% Teaching
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Agricultural Robotics
- Agricultural Equipment Logistics
- Embedded Control Applications in Machine Automation
- Unmanned Ground and Aerial Applications in Agriculture
- Fluid Power Hydraulics
- Embedded Control Systems
- Sensors and Controls for Agri-Industries
Jan 18, 2019: Santosh Pitla leads work to enhance tractor testing
Aug 11, 2016: BSE harvests bumper crop of awards at ASABE conference
- MSYM 416: Sensors and Controls for Agri-Industries
- MSYM 412: Hydraulic Power Systems
- MSYM 245: Fundamentals of Electricity
- AGEN/BSEN 212B: Embedded Systems (mini session)
- AGEN/MSYM 492: Embedded Systems in Agriculture
J. H. Posselius, C. H. Foster, S.K. Pitla, S.A. Shearer, J.D. Luck, M.P. Sama, R. S. Zandonadi, Multi-Robot System Control Architecture. Patent Number: 9,527,211 (Issued: Dec 27th, 2016)
- S.K. Pitla. “Agricultural Robotics”, in Advances in Agricultural Machinery and Technologies. 2018. Editor: Guangnan Chen, CRC Press. ISBN-13: 978-1498754125 ISBN-10: 1498754120
- Shearer, S.A. and S.K. Pitla, “Precision Planting and Crop Thinning”, in Automation: The Future of Weed Control in Cropping Systems. Young, S.L and F.J. Pierce, Springer, 2014, pp. 99-124. ISBN: 978-94-007-7511-4 (Print) 978-94-007-7512-1 (Online)
- Shearer, S.A. and S.K. Pitla, “Field Production Automation,” in Agricultural Automation: Fundamentals and Practices, Zhang, Q and F.J. Pierce, CRC Press, 2013, pp. 97-124
Refereed Journal Articles
- Rohrer, R.A, S.K.Pitla, J.D. Luck.2019. Tractor CAN bus interface tools and application development for real-timed data analysis. Computers Electronics Agric. 163(19):104847
- Rohrer, R.A, J.D. Luck, S.K. Pitla, R.M. Hoy. 2018. Evaluation of the Accuracy of Machine Reported CAN Data for Engine Torque and Speed. Trans. ASABE. 61(5): 1547- 1557
- Lindhorst, C.M, R.M. Hoy, S.K. Pitla, M.F. Kocher. 2018. Dynamic ROPs test for Tractors over 6000 kg. Trans. ASABE. 61(1):53-62
- C.J. Thompson, L. Luck, J. Keshwani, S.K. Pitla. L.K. Karr. 2018. Location on the Body of a Wearable Accelerometer Affects Accuracy of Data for Identifying Equine Gaits. Journal of Equine Veterinary Sci. 63(2018):1-7
- Roeber, J.BW, S.K. Pitla, R.M. Hoy, J.D. Luck, M.F. Kocher. 2017. Development and validation of a tractor drawbar force measurement and data acquisition system (DAQ). Applied. Eng. Agric. 33(6): 781-789
- Forney, S. H., J.D. Luck, M. F. Kocher, and S.K. Pitla. 2017. Laboratory and full boom-based investigation of nozzle setup and restriction effects on flow, pressure, and spray pattern distribution. Applied. Eng. Agric. 33(5): 641-653
- Roeber, J. BW, S.K. Pitla, R. M. Hoy, J. D. Luck, M. F. Kocher. 2017. Tractor power take-off torque measurement and data acquisition system. Applied. Eng. Agric. 33(5): 679-686
- M.F. Kocher, B. J. Smith, R. M. Hoy, J. C. Woldstad, S. K. Pitla. 2017. Fuel Consumption Models For Tractor Test Reports. Trans. ASABE. 60(3): 693-701
- S.L. Young, S.K. Pitla, F.K. Van Evert, F.J. Pierce, J.K. Schueller. 2017. Moving integrated weed management from low level to a truly integrated and highly speciﬁc weed management system using advanced technologies. Weed Research 57(1): 1-5
- Pitla, S.K., J.D. Luck, J. Werner, N. Lin, and S.A Shearer. 2016. In-field fuel use and load states of agricultural field machinery. Computers Electronics Agric. 121: 290 - 300.
- Roeber, J. BW, S.K. Pitla, J.D. Luck, M.F. Kocher, R.M. Hoy. 2016. Tractor Hydraulic Power Data Acquisition System. Computers Electronics Agric. 127(2016):1-14
- Troyer, T. A1, S.K. Pitla, E. Nutter. 2016. Inter-row Robot Navigation using 1D Ranging Sensors Inter-row Robot Navigation using 1D Ranging Sensors. IFAC-PapersOnLine 49(16):463-468
- Marx, S.E., Joe D. Luck, S.K. Pitla, Roger M. Hoy. 2016. Comparing various hardware/software solutions and conversion methods for Controller Area Network (CAN) bus data collection. Computers Electronics Agric. 128(2016):141-148
- Pitla, S.K., N. Lin, S.A. Shearer, and J.D. Luck. 2015. Use of Controller Area Network (CAN) data to determine field efficiencies of agricultural machinery. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. Vol. 30(6): 829-839.
- Marx, S.E., J.D. Luck, R.M. Hoy, S.K. Pitla, M.J. Darr, and E. Blankenship. 2015. Validation of machine CAN Bus J1939 fuel rate accuracy using Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory fuel rate data. Computers Electronics Agric. 118: 179-185.
- Luck, J.D., S.A. Shearer, M.P. Sama, and S.K. Pitla. 2015. Control system development and response analysis of an electronically actuated variable-orifice nozzle for agricultural pesticide applications. Trans. ASABE. 58(4): 997-1008.
- Luck, J.D., S.K. Pitla, M.P. Sama, and S.A. Shearer. 2015. Flow, spray pattern and droplet spectra characteristics of an electronically actuated variable-orifice nozzle. Trans. ASABE. 58(2) 261-269.
- Ramarao, V., P.R. Thomison, C.K. Gabriel, M.A. Bennett, E.M. Grassbaugh, M.D. Kleinhenz, S.A. Shearer, and S.K. Pitla. 2014. Seed tape effects on corn emergence under greenhouse conditions. Crop Mgmt. 13(1).
- Luck, J.D., A. Sharda, S.K. Pitla, J.P. Fulton, and S.A. Shearer. 2011. A case study concerning the effects of controller response and turning movements on application rate uniformity with a self-propelled sprayer. Transactions of the ASABE. 54(2):423-431.
- Luck, J.D., S.K. Pitla, R.S. Zandonadi, M.P. Sama, and S.A. Shearer. 2010. Estimating off-rate pesticide application errors resulting from agricultural sprayer turning movements. Precision Agriculture. 12(4): 534-545.
- Pitla, S.K., L.G. Wells, and S.A. Shearer. 2009. Integration of an extended octagonal ring transducer and soil coulterometer for identifying soil compaction. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 25(5): 647-652.
- Luck, J.D., S.K. Pitla, T.G. Mueller, C.R. Dillon, S.F. Higgins, J.P. Fulton, and S.A. Shearer. 2009. Potential for pesticide and nutrient savings via map-based automatic boom section control of spray nozzles. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 70(1): 19-26