Tiffany Messer, PhD
- PhD., Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University
- M.S., Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University
- B.S., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky
The Messer Research Group recently had two publications accepted in the Journal of Ecological Engineering! The publications focus on utilizing wetlands to treat agricultural drainage water and identifying nitrogen removal processes occurring within two distinct wetlands systems. The publications can be found at the following links.
- 60% Research
- 40% Teaching
- Emerging Sensor Technologies
- Hydrologic and Stable Isotope Tracer Techniques
- Nutrient and Pesticide Cycling, Fate, and Transport
- Agricultural Systems
- Surface Water Hydrology Modeling
- Ecosystem Restoration
- Engineering Education
- Environmental Impacts in Developing Countries
- Groundwater Hydrology Modeling
- Restoration Assessments of Ecosystem Services
- Environmental Policy
- Graduate Seminar 1 (BSEN/AGEN 889)
- Introduction to Wetlands (NRES 468/868)
Honors and Awards
- USDA AFRI NIFA Fellow (2016)
- EPA STAR Fellow (2012-2015)
- Managing Water Resources at the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center, ARD & US MARC Research Collaborations, 7/3/17 – 12/31/19, A. Mittelstet, T. Messer, and T. Gilmore. Sponsor amount: $83,612, UNL Cost Share: $0, Total Amount: $83,612 (30% Messer)
- Messer, T.L., M.R. Burchell, F. Bírgand, S. Broome, and G. Chescheir. 2017. Nitrate Removal Potential of Restored Wetlands Loaded with Agricultural Drainage Water: A Mesocosm Scale Experimental Approach, Ecological Engineering, 106: 541-554.
- Messer, T.L., M.R. Burchell, J.K. Böhlke, and C.R. Tobias. 2017. Tracing the Fate of Nitrate through Restored Wetlands: A Mesocosm Scale 15N Enrichment Tracer Study, Ecological Engineering, 106: 597-608.
- Wiseman, J., M.R. Burchell, G.L. Grabow, D.L. Osmond, and T.L. Messer. 2014. Groundwater nitrate concentration reductions in a riparian buffer enrolled in the NC Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program. Journal of American Water Resources Association, 50(3): 653-664.
- Messer, T. L., M.R. Burchell, D.L. Osmond, and G.L. Grabow. 2012. Groundwater Nitrate Reductions within Upstream and Downstream Sections of a Riparian Buffer. Ecological Engineering, 47: 397-407.