Yeyin Shi, PhDAssistant Professor and Agricultural Information System Engineer
- Ph.D., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Oklahoma State University, May 2014
- M.S., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Oklahoma State University, December 2010
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Nanjing Forestry University, China, July 2007
- 50% research, 50% extension
- Generation, analysis and management of agricultural information/data
- Application of UAS/drone and aerial imagery in agriculture
- Prediction and management of crop abiotic and biotic stresses
- Promote adoption of emerging agricultural technologies
- Improve understanding and utility of agricultural big data
About Yeyin Shi
Yeyin’s research and extension group at UNL creates and applies information technology to record, transmit, manage and use digital information related to the health, productivity and sustainability of agricultural production systems. Yeyin grew up in the province of Jiangsu in China, one of the most traditional and productive farming areas for rice and poultry production along the Yangtze River. She received both her doctoral and master’s degrees in the Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Department at Oklahoma State University. She also worked as a postdoctoral associate in the Citrus Research and Extension Center at University of Florida and an assistant research scientist in the Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department at Texas A&M University prior to joining UNL. Yeyin is currently looking for talented students with passion and determination and active collaborators to work together.
Honors and Awards
- ASABE Outstanding Manuscript Reviewer for the 2014 publication year, Information Technology, Sensors, & Control Systems Division, April 2015.
- 1st Place in the postdoc category, 4th Annual Poster Research Gallery and Competition, Citrus Research and Education Center, University of Florida, April 2015.
- 2nd Place in Student Robotic Competition (team), 2012 ASABE Annual International Meeting. 2012.
- Precision Agriculture Outstanding Graduate Student Award 2010, 10th International Conference on
Precision Agriculture Awards Committee, 2010.
- Sitlington Enriched Graduate Scholarship, Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources,
Oklahoma State University, 2010.
- Alpha Epsilon, Honor Society for Outstanding Biological and Agricultural Engineers, 2008
- Lu, J., R. Ehsani, Y. Shi, J. Abdulridha, A. I. de Castro, Y. Xu. 2017. Field detection of anthracnose crown rot in strawberry using spectroscopy technology. Comput. Electron. Agric. 135: 289-299.
- Shi, Y., J.A. Thomasson, S.C. Murray, N.A. Pugh, W.L. Rooney, S. Shafian, N. Rajan, G. Rouze, C.L.S. Morgan, H.L. Neely, A. Rana, M.V. Bagavathiannan, J. Henrickson, E. Bowden, J. Valasek, Jeff Olsenholler, M.P. Bishop, R. Sheridan, E.B. Putman, S. Popescu, T. Burks, D. Cope, A. Ibrahim, B.F. McCutchen, D.D. Baltensperger, R.V. Avant Jr, M. Vidrine, C. Yang. 2016. Unmanned aerial vehicles for high-throughput phenotyping and agronomic research. PLOS ONE. 1(7): e0159781. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0159781
- Defterli, S. G., Y. Shi, Y. Xu, R. Ehsani. 2015. A review of autonomous strawberry robotics. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 32(4). doi: 10.13031/aea.32.11318
- Navid, H., R. K. Taylor, Yazgi, A., N. Wang, Y. Shi, P. Weckler. 2015. Detecting grain flow rate using a laser scanner. Trans. ASABE. 58(5): 1185-1190. doi: 10.13031/trans.58.11097
- Shi, Y., N. Wang, R. K. Taylor, W. R. Raun. 2014. Improvement of a LiDAR-based corn plant population and spacing measurement system. Comput. Electron. Agric. 112: 92-101. doi:10.1016/j.compag.2014.11.026
- Yuan, L., J. Zhang, Y. Shi, C. Nie, L. Wei, J. Wang. 2014. Damage mapping of powdery mildew in winter wheat with high-resolution satellite image. Remote Sens., 6(5): 3611-3623. doi: 10.3390/rs6053611.
- Shi, Y., N. Wang, R. K. Taylor, W. R. Raun, J. A. Hardin. 2013. Automatic corn plant location and spacing measurement using laser line-scan technique. Precision Agriculture, 14(5): 478 – 494. doi: 10.1007/s11119-013-9311-z.
- Porter, W., J. Rascon, Y. Shi, R. K. Taylor, P. R. Weckler. 2013. Laboratory evaluation of a turn compensation control system for a ground sprayer. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 29(5): 655-662. doi: 10.13031/aea.29.10075.