Yijie Xiong, Ph.D
Professional Memberships:• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE), Member Since 2011
• Poultry Sciences Association (PSA), Member Since 2017
• American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning, (ASHRAE), Member Since 2020
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, 2019 – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana IL
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering, 2013 – University of Illinois at Urbana -Champaign, Urbana IL
- B.S., Agricultural Structure and Environmental Engineering, 2011 – China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- 75% Animal Sciences / 25% Biological Systems Engineering
- 65% Research and 35% Extension
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Animal Housing Environmental Control:
Apply instrumentation, measurements, and evaluation to controlled animal environment and obtain useful information from the animals.
- Precision Livestock Management:
Integrate real-time monitoring, individual animal basis measurements, and engineering skills to assess animal behavior, performance, production, health, and welfare.
- Applied Data Analysis in Agriculture:
Data acquisition, data management, data visualization, and applied statistical analysis in agricultural applications
Honors and Awards
- Graduate College Dissertation Completion Fellowship, University of Illinoi, May 2019
- Excellence for Oral Presentation in Management & Production, Poultry Sciences Association Annual International Meeting, July 2018
- Graduate Student International Research Grant, ACES Office of International Programs, March 2015
Xiong, Y., R.S. Gates, J. Y. Hu, P. Y. Hester, and H.W. Cheng. 2020. Design and performance of an experimental cooled perch system for heat stress relief of laying hens. Transactions of the ASABE: 63(4): 1109-1121. DOI: 10.13031/trans.13672.
Zheng, W., Y. Xiong, R. S. Gates, Y. Wang, and K. W. Koelkebeck. 2020. Air temperature, carbon dioxide and ammonia assessment inside a commercial cage layer barn with manure-drying tunnels. Poultry Science: 99(8):3885-3896. DOI: 10.1016/j.psj.2020.05.009.
Hu, J. Y., P. Y. Hester, Y. Xiong, R. S. Gates, M. M. Makagon, and H. W. Cheng. 2019. Effect of cooled perches on the efficacy of an induced molt in White Leghorn laying hens exposed to cyclic chronic heat. Poultry Science: pez317. DOI: 10.3382/ps/pez317
Hu, J. Y., P. Y. Hester, M. M. Makagon, Y. Xiong, R. S. Gates, and H. W. Cheng. 2019. Effect of cooled perches on performance, plumage condition, and foot health of caged white leghorn hens exposed to cyclic chronic heat stress episodes. Poultry Science: pez039. DOI:10.3382/ps/pez039
Hu, J. Y., P. Y. Hester, M. M. Makagon, Y. Xiong, R. S. Gates, and H. W. Cheng. 2019. Effect of cooled perches on physiological parameters of caged White Leghorn hens exposed to cyclic heat. Poultry Science: pez012. DOI: 10.3382/ps/pez012
Xiong, Y., R.S. Gates, and A. R. Green-Miller. 2018. Factors affecting trailer thermal environment for market pigs transported in the US. Animals, 8 (11): 203. DOI:10.3390/ani8110203
Candido, M. G. L., Y. Xiong, R. S. Gates, I. F. F. Tinôco, and K. W. Koelkebeck. 2018. Effects of carbon dioxide on turkey poult performance and behavior. Poultry Science: pey128. DOI: 10.3382/ps/pey128
Hu, J. Y., P. Y. Hester, M. M. Makagon, Giuseppe Vezzoli, R. S. Gates, Y. Xiong, and H. W. Cheng. 2016. Cooled perch effects on performance and well-being traits in caged White Leghorn hens. Poultry Science: pew248. DOI: 10.3382/ps/pew248
Xiong, Y., A.R. Green, and R. S. Gates. Characteristics of Trailer Thermal Environment during Commercial Swine Transport Managed under U.S. Industry Guidelines. 2015. Animals, 5, 226-244. DOI: 10.3390/ani5020226
Ellis, M., N. C. Cooper, K. Vande Pol., R. S. Gates, and Y. Xiong. Measuring postnatal changes in piglet body temperature. National Hog Farmer: December 2017. http://www.nationalhogfarmer.com/animal-health/measuring-post-natal-changes-piglet-body-temperature.
U. S. Grains Council. 2017. Manure land application in the United States: Policies and Practices (English and Chinese editions). Editors: B. T. Lohmar, Y. Xiong, R. S. Gates, T. L. Funk, and T. Lim. 71 pp. Beijing, China: USGC-Beijing.