Graduate Application Process
Steps to Complete Graduate Applications
- Graduate Studies Application Form - Complete Online
- General GRE report - Submit official report through ETS online
- Transcripts - Mail official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the UNL Office of Graduate Studies
Additional requirements for applicants whose native language is not English*:
- TOEFL Score - Submit an official report to UNL through ETS online. Department of Civil Engineering requires a minimum of 550 for paper-based tests or 80 for internet-based tests
- IELTS Score - Submit an official report to UNL through IELTS online. Department of Civil Engineering requires a minimum of 6.5 on IELTS tests.
*Exemptions are granted for non-native speakers who have received a bachelor's or more advanced degree either from an accredited U.S. institution or from a university outside the U.S. at which English is the official language of instruction.
- Personal Information – Regardless of where you live you must choose a STATE and COUNTRY option when completing your address.
- Area of Interest – Choose a first area of interest. A second area of interest is optional.
- References – Fill in the name, address and email address for three references. The references will receive an email with instructions on how to complete reference forms and upload their letters of recommendation. If a reference does not have email access, letters of recommendation may be submitted by mailing to the Department of Civil Engineering office in Lincoln. The most useful letters of recommendation are those from professionals able to comment specifically on your academic and technical ability in Civil Engineering.
- Personal Statement – Describe your long-term goals, how graduate studies in Civil Engineering at UNL will help you achieve your goals, and any additional information you think will help in evaluating your application.
- Curriculum Vitae – Upload your C.V.
- Supporting Files – Upload other supporting information in .pdf format. DO NOT upload your transcripts as supporting files.
The deadlines for applying to the M.S. and Ph.D. programs in the Department of Civil Engineering are:
- Summer semester admission: January 10 of the same year
- Fall semester admission: January 10 of the same year
- Spring semester admission: January 10 of the previous year
Applications received after these deadlines will be accepted and reviewed for the requested term of entry but such applications may be rejected due to lack of space in the program.
There are a limited number of graduate teaching and research assistantships available in the Department of Civil Engineering. All applicants who submit their applications by the deadlines will automatically be considered for assistantships and recruitment fellowships. Those who submit their applications after the deadlines may be considered for assistantships if such supports are still available.