CHME - UOL - Catalytic Reactor/Hot Wire Anemometer
Catalytic Reactor/Hot Wire Anemometer
- A small diameter platinum wire is perpendicular to gas flow and electrically heated.
- Equipment is operated using the DeltaV™ DCS.
- Alarms and interlocks are present for process safety.
Possible Experimental Objectives
- Use of the temperature – resistance relationship of platinum to determine the average wire temperature.
- Use of an energy balance to determine the experimental convective heat transfer coefficient and comparison to heat transfer correlations when catalytic reactions are not occurring.
- Determination of the rate of reaction for hydrocarbon oxidation on the surface of the platinum at different concentrations and temperatures using an energy balance.
- Analysis of mass transfer limiting reaction kinetics using an energy balance.
- Determination of the kinetic order of reactions, reaction rate constants, and activation energies.
College of Engineering Upcoming Events