CHME - UOL - Fermentation
- 35 L glass fermentation vessel.
- Ferm Solutions FermPro yeast for ethanol production.
- MicroMotion® Coriolis meter to measure mass density of the fermentation contents and infer alcohol and sugar concentrations.
- Custom made low flow, low pressure drop flowmeter to measure the carbon dioxide evolution rate and infer the ethanol production rate.
- Rosemount® pH probe and transmitter to monitor the fermentation for contaminating bacteria.
- Temperature control using a Fisher® control valve and an external heat exchanger.
- Rosemount® guided wave radar level transmitter for monitoring the fermenter level.
- Equipment is operated using the DeltaV™ DCS.
- Alarms and interlocks are present for process safety.
Possible Experimental Objectives
- Batch fermentation operation.
- Fed-batch fermentation operation.
- Continuous fermentation operation.
- Analysis of fermentation kinetics using material and energy balances.
College of Engineering Upcoming Events