Civil - Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Study Aids

Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Study Aids

Why is Becoming a Licensed Professional Engineer Important?

  • Only a licensed engineer may prepare, sign and seal, and submit engineering plans and drawings to a public authority for approval, or seal engineering work for public and private clients. Most structural, environmental, transportation, geotechnical, water resources, and construction projects require approval of a licensed engineer.
  • Licensure is a requirement for consulting engineers who are in responsible charge of work, be they principals or employees.
  • Many federal, state, and municipal agencies (including the military) require that certain governmental engineering positions, particularly higher level and responsible positions, be filled only by licensed professional engineers.
  • Engineering accreditation requires that most individuals teaching engineering must be licensed.

To become a Licensed Professional Engineer:

  • Obtain an accredited engineering degree (our BS in Civil Engineering is an ABET accredited degree).
  • Pass FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Examination (typically taken during last semester of undergraduate coursework).
  • Obtain Work Experience (depending on your situation and jurisdiction, about 4 years is required).
  • Pass PE (Principles and Practices of Engineering) Examination (after completing the work experience requirement). The NCEES website ( provides many details about the FE and PE exams.

Reimbursement Information

The Department of Civil Engineering will provide a cost subsidy of $75 for students who provide valid evidence of taking the exam. We will subsequently provide an additional $50 cost subsidy (for a total of $125) for students who provide valid evidence of passing the exam. Students will be eligible for these subsidies for one (1) FE exam.

To be eligible for the subsidy:

  1. You must be within 24 semester hours of graduation.
  2. You must have taken all required 300 level CIVE courses (CIVE 310, CIVE 319, CIVE 326, CIVE 327, CIVE 334, CIVE 341, CIVE 352, CIVE 361, CIVE 378, CIVE 385) OR be enrolled in your last semester with your senior check completed.

Please see Arlys Blakey in Omaha or Milunka Brajic in Lincoln for more information.

The State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects (the State licensing body) also provides a reimbursement for students that successfully pass the FE exam on their first try. This reimbursement is obtained directly from the NBEA, NOT from the Department of Civil Engineering.

Other Materials