- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1984
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1982
- B.S., Civil Engineering, West Virginia Institute of Technology, 1980
- Transportation planning
- Systems analysis
- Mass transit systems planning and design
- Airport planning and design
- Systems engineering
- Traffic engineering
- College of Engineering UNO Alumni Association’s Holling Family Master Teacher Award, 2009
- UNO Alumni Outstanding Teaching Award, 2009
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Holling Family Distinguished Teaching/Advising/Mentoring Award, 2008
- Achievement Award” as a member of NASA’s Small Aircraft Transportation System Project (SATS) Team, 2007
- The University of Nebraska at Omaha Certificate of Recognition, 2006
Moussavi, M., Vargas, J, "Application of Geographic Information System (GIS) in the Analysis and Assessment of Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS) in Nebraska", Proceedings of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences, 115th Annual Meeting, Lincoln, Nebraska, pp 22-23, April 22, 2005.
Moussavi, M., "Small Aircraft Transportation System (Nebraska Research)," SATS 2005 Technology Demonstration: The Future of Air Transportation, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Danville, Virginia, June 5-7, 2005.