- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 2003
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1999
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, 1997
- Multiscale Analysis and Modeling of Construction Materials and Infrastructure Systems
- Multiphysics and Multiphase Mechanics of Infrastructure Materials
- Multifunctional Infrastructure Materials
- Viscoelasticity of Engineering Materials and Structures
- Mechanistic Analysis and Design of Roadways and Pavements
- Bituminous/Cementitious Materials and Mixtures
- Innovative Materials and Sustainable Transportation Systems
- Recycling and Engineered Use of Construction Materials
- Faculty Service Award, College of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2016
- Faculty Associate, Nebraska Center for Materials and Nanoscience, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2014
- Faculty Recognition Award, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009
- McNeel Distinguished Faculty Scholar, College of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2008
- NSF-CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2007
- College Faculty Research and Creative Activity Award, College of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2007
- Best Paper Walter J. Emmons Award, Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), 2006
- Nomination of Best Paper K. B. Woods Award, Transportation Research Board (TRB), 2004
P. Karki, P. A. Yuya, Y. Kim, and J. A. Turner. (2016). “Nano-mechanical Properties of Constituent Phases in Bituminous Mixtures.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001605.
H. Ban, S. Im, and Y. Kim. (2015). “Mixed-mode Fracture Characterization of Fine Aggregate Mixtures Using Semicircular Bend Fracture Test and Extended Finite Element Modeling.” Construction and Building Materials, 101(1), 721-729.
S. Im, T. You, H. Ban, and Y. Kim. (2015). “Multiscale Testing-Analysis of Asphaltic Materials Considering Viscoelastic and Viscoplastic Deformation.” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/10298436.2015.1066002.
Y. Kim, F. A. C. Freitas2, J. S. Jung, and Y. Sim. (2015). “Characterization of Bitumen Fracture Using Tensile Fracture Tests Incorporated with Viscoelastic Cohesive Zone Model.” Construction and Building Materials, 88, 1-9.
Y. Kim, M. Haft-Javaherian, and L. S. Castro. (2014). “Two-dimensional Virtual Microstructure Generation of Particle-Reinforced Composites.” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000448.
J. E. S. Teixeira, Y. Kim, F. V. Souza, D. H. Allen, and D. N. Little. (2014). “Multiscale Model for Asphalt Mixtures Subjected to Cracking and Viscoelastic Deformation.” Transportation Research Record, 2447, 136-145.
H. Ban, P. Karki, and Y. Kim. (2014). “Nanoindentation Test Integrated with Numerical Simulation to Characterize Mechanical Properties of Rock Materials.” Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 42(3), 787-796.
S. Im, H. Ban, and Y. Kim. (2014). “Characterization of Mode-I and Mode-II Fracture Properties of Fine Aggregate Matrix Using a Semicircular Specimen Geometry.” Construction and Building Materials, 52, 413-421.
H. Ban, Y. Kim, and S. Rhee. (2013). “Computational Microstructure Modeling to Estimate Progressive Moisture Damage Behavior of Asphaltic Paving Materials.” International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 37, 2005-2020.
Y. Kim, F. V. Souza, and T. Park. (2013). “Multiscale Modeling of Damage Evolution in Viscoelastic Bituminous Mixtures Subjected to Cyclic Loading.” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 135(2), 021005.
H. Ban, S. Im, and Y. Kim. (2013). “Nonlinear Viscoelastic Approach to Model Damage-Associated Performance Behavior of Asphaltic Mixture and Pavement Structure.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 40(4), 313-323.
Y. Kim, F. V. Souza, and J. E. S. Teixeira. (2013). “A Two-Way Coupled Multiscale Model for Predicting Damage-Associated Performance of Asphaltic Roadways.” Computational Mechanics, 51, 187-201.
Y. Kim and F. T. S. Aragão. (2013). “Microstructure Modeling of Rate-Dependent Fracture Behavior in Bituminous Paving Mixtures.” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 63, 23-32.
F. T. S. Aragão and Y. Kim. (2012). “Mode I Fracture Characterization of Bituminous Paving Mixtures at Intermediate Service Temperatures.” Experimental Mechanics, 52(9), 1423-1434.
H. Ban and Y. Kim. (2012). “Integrated Experimental-Numerical Approach to Model Progressive Moisture Damage Behavior of Bituminous Paving Mixtures.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 39, 323-333.
H. Ban, Y. Kim, and I. Pinto. (2011). “Integrated Experimental-Numerical Approach to Estimate Material-Specific Moisture Damage Characteristics of Binder-Aggregate Interface.” Transportation Research Record, 2209, 9-17.
Y. Kim. (2011). “Cohesive Zone Model to Predict Fracture in Bituminous Materials and Asphaltic Pavements: State-of-the-Art Review.” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 12(4), 343-356.