The Durham School suggests obtaining a computer with the following features:
- Most incoming students now use a laptop for portability.
- CPU: Intel i7 quad core 2.5 GHz or better
- 8 GB of RAM is advised; more RAM will improve performance for large building models.
- Disk: 512 GB minimum (SSD recommended)
- Use a 64-bit version of Windows.
- Display: 1920x1080 minimum resolution.
- A good video card factory installed is advised (AMD or Nvidia). A good gaming machine is also usually a reasonable computer-aided design machine.
- An external monitor for home use is advised.
- The computer you use should come with 802.11ac wireless networking (Wi-Fi).
- A good warranty is an advantage. You may want to consider next-day service to lessen the amount of time you may have to be without your computer. It usually costs more, but can pay for itself with peace of mind versus lost productivity.
- In case something does happen, you should have an external hard drive or cloud-based backup.
- Many software vendors have free or low-cost licenses for student academic software. It is likely best to wait until you are on campus, to obtain discipline-specific software.
- Apple products do not natively run many important applications used in the School.
The UNL HuskerTech is at: UNL Computer Shop