DSAEC Student Global Opportunities Guidelines for Funding
One of the missions of the Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction (DSAEC) is to educate the technically competent engineer and constructor of the future, who possesses global and social awareness, and is a leader in the community. International education opportunities such as study abroad programs, international internships, and international exchange programs are designed to give DSAEC students such global perspectives.
The Student Global Opportunities Fund was developed to provide funding to DSAEC students to support them in meeting the costs related to traveling outside of United States for study abroad programs, international internships, or immersion (student exchange) programs. The maximum amount of DSAEC Global Opportunities fund that may be awarded to a DSAEC student per fiscal (July 1 – June 30) year is $1000. Funding is based on the fiscal year and availability of funds.
General Guidelines: Applications are usually submitted approximately 6-8 weeks in advance of departure, but may be submitted up to six months prior to the trip. Funds are awarded on a first-applied/first-considered basis. Funds are limited and when exhausted no additional requests may be funded. Eligible expenses include transportation, registration and lodging costs.
Student Eligibility: Global Opportunity funds are available to all undergraduate students enrolled in a DSAEC program (Architectural Engineering, Construction Engineering, and Construction Management). Students applying for funds must meet the following guidelines:
- Enrolled at the time of application
- Current student status at the time of application and abroad experience
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Have no record of formal discipline with the University
- Not be a regular faculty/staff member of the University
- Not have received funding assistance within the last fiscal year
- The Code of Student Conduct applies to all students receiving funds for travel.
- Students may receive funding once per fiscal year.
Instructions: All students applying for use of the Global Opportunity funds must submit a letter of support of a DSAEC faculty member representing the students’ program approving the relevancy of the proposed abroad program/internship. All students traveling internationally must register with the UNL Education Abroad Office prior to departure. The link to International travel can be found at:
The application process is all online and is as follows:
- Complete pre-trip paperwork. Click the following link: https://sapphire.nebraska.edu/gm/folder-1.11.10856?mode=EU Please note this paperwork is authorization of travel and is NOT the application for funds.
- All funds must be requested via the online application form. Complete the online form (Application to Request DSAEC Student Global Opportunities Funds).
- Attach/upload travel authorization and other documentation.
- All completed student travel requests must be submitted four (4) weeks prior to the actual travel.
Applications submitted must be complete: attached pre-trip paperwork with student and faculty signatures and other attachments that document expenses.
- If competing or presenting, include an attachment that documents acceptance of presentation/poster or competition, etc… This can be emailed or submitted with the application.
- Applicants will be contracted via email within 7-10 business days regarding a funding decision.