Jena Shafai Asgarpoor, Ph.D.
Mail: 114M Othmer Hall, P.O. Box 880642 (Zip:68588-0642)
• American Society for Quality (ASQ)
• American Society for Engineering Management (ASEM)
Director, Master of Engineering Management Program
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering (1989), Texas A&M University (College Station)
- M.S., Industrial Engineering (1983), Texas A&M University (College Station)
- B.A., Political Science (1980), Texas A&M University (College Station)
- Teaching (60%)
- Administration (40%)
- Quality Management
- Process Improvement
- Pedagogy and Academic Assessment
- Online Education and Student Learning Outcomes
- Data Analysis for Decision Making
- Operations and supply chain management
- Essentials of supply chain management in a global environment
- Models in supply chain management
- Production and operations management
- Introduction to management science
- Advanced management science
- Business modeling and planning
- Quality Management and Six Sigma
- Business analytics and operations management
- Research methods and survey analysis
- Business statistics
- Engineering leadership
- Total Quality Management Using Six Sigma
- Applied Management Science for Engineering and Operations
- Quantitative Analysis for Engineering Management Decisions
I have more than 25 years of experience in online course and program development and teaching. I bring that experience and my engineering management and industrial engineering education with me to the Durham School and the College of Engineering to serve as the Director and Associate Professor of Practice in the Master of Engineering Management program, which is a 100% online program.
My interests lie in quality control and quality management, pedagogy, online teaching, and assessment of student learning. I have served as the Education Chair on the Board of Nebraska Section for American Society for Quality (ASQ) since 2014.
- Holling Family Distinguished Senior Faculty Teaching Award, 2019 (UNL, COE)
Holling Family Distinguished Teaching Award for Innovative Use of Instructional Technology, 2019 (UNL, COE)
- Education Chair, American Society for Quality (ASQ) Nebraska Section (2014 – Present)
- Pinnacle Award for Marketing Research – Not-for-Profit category, American Marketing Association, Omaha Chapter (2015)
- John R. Maenner Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award (2016, Bellevue University)
- Outstanding Online Professor Award (1999, Bellevue University)
- ConAgra Distinguished Professor Award (1996, Bellevue University)
- Best Employee Award, Texas A&M University Business Research Council (1989)
- Summa Cum Laude graduate, Texas A&M University, College Station
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Sigma Beta Delta Business Honor Society
Jena Asgarpoor (2019). Asynchronous Course Design 101. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Management (ASEM) 2019 International Annual Conference (IAC) Proceedings. Philadelphia, PA (hosted by Drexel University).
Cronin-Gilmore, J., Maguire, D., Shafai, J., & Nabavi, M. (2019). A Study of Diversity, Younger Board Members, and Physical Presence of Women Serving on Non-Profit Boards. Proceedings of the Society of Business, Industry, and Economics 2019 Conference.
Cronin-Gilmore, J., Maguire, D., Shafai, J., & Nabavi, M. (2018). An Analysis of the Motivations, Challenges and Rewards of Women Serving on Nonprofit Boards. Proceedings of The National Business and Economics Society 2018 Conference. ISSN: 2151-3333
- Jena Asgarpoor, “Online Course Design 101”, 2019 Innovation in Pedagogy and Technology Symposium, University of Nebraska Lincoln, May 7, 2019
- Jena Shafai, “A Graduate Online Course in Engineering Leadership”, American Society of Engineering Management International Annual Conference, October 17 – 20, 2018, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Jena Shafai, “Design, Development, Delivery, and Assessment of an Online MBA Statistics Course”, Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, November 19 – 22, 2016, Austin, TX
- Jena Shafai, Kevin Schieuer, “A Program-level Assessment Exam: In-house Development and Implementation”, Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, November 19 – 22, 2016, Austin, TX
- Jena Shafai, David Levy, and Robert Ludrick, “An Integrated Platform of Experiential Learning Practices: Pedagogical Choices for Business & Supply Chain Curricula”, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education North Central Regional Assembly Conference, October 5 – 7, 2016, Bellevue, NE
- Linda Thomas, Jena Shafai, Dara Spivack “Critical Thinkers Wanted: Meeting the Challenge with Evidence-Based Practices”, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education, Annual Conference and Assembly Meeting, April 13 – 17, 2015, Baltimore, MD
- Linda Thomas, Jena Shafai, Charles Benish “Wake Up Your Classes with Critical Thinking! Help students discover the joy of an open mind”, Western Academy of Management, March 13 – 16, 2013, Santa Fe, NM and Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management, October 3 – 5, 2013, San Diego, CA
- Jena Shafai, Majid Nabavi, “Steps in Quantitative Research: Plan, Implement, Analyze”, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education, Annual Conference and Assembly Meeting, April 16-19, 2013, Orlando, FL
- Julia Cronin-Gilmore, Jennifer Moss Breen, Jena Shafai, Majid Nabavi “Scholarship in Business Education”, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education, Annual Conference and Assembly Meeting, April 16-19, 2013, Orlando, FL
- Jena Shafai, Majid Nabavi “Online Versus Residential Exam Performance: A Comparative Assessment”, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education meeting, April 18-20, 2012, Kansas City, MO.
- Jena Shafai, Majid Nabavi “Overcoming the challenges of developing and teaching quantitative material online”, United States Distance Learning National Conference, April 26-29, 2010, St. Louis, MO
- Jena Shafai, Christine Wietzki, “A Linear Programming Model to Minimize Cost of Efficacy and Equivalency Testing on Corn Hybrids”, Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, November 20-23, 2010, San Diego, CA.
- Jena Shafai, Majid Nabavi “Learning Assessment Methods and Tools”, Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, November 20-23, 2010, San Diego, CA.
- Jena Shafai, Majid Nabavi, “Overcoming the challenge of delivering quantitative content in online education”, Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, November 17 – 17, 2009, New Orleans, LA