• UNL EERI Chapter
• Structural Dynamics Lab
• Pink Hardhat Camp
• Japan Field Mission Recap
• National Society of Black Engineers
• American Society of Civil Engineers
• Society of Women Engineers
• American Society of Engineering Education
• International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Florida A&M University
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Florida A&M University
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Florida State University
- Natural Hazard Mitigation and Management
- Engineering Mechanics
- Structural Dynamics and Control
- Disaster Debris Management
- Sustainable Construction and Energy Efficiency
- Engineering Education
- CIVE 842 - Structural Dynamics
- CNST 2520 - Construction Materials and Test
- CNST 331/3310 - Architectural Structures I
- CNST 3350 (ARCH 335) - Structural Mechanics
- CNST 3360 - Structural Optimization
- CONE 1030 - Intro to Construction Engineering
- MECH 223 - Engineering Statics
- MECH 373 - Engineering Dynamics
About Terri Norton
Dr. Terri R. Norton is associate professor of Construction Engineering and Architectural Engineering at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL). Dr. Norton's research focuses on the effects natural hazards have on civil structures, disaster debris management and sustainability. Dr. Norton currently serves as the principal investigator (PI) on a National Science Foundation (NSF) travel grant and the (co-PI) on an NSF INCLUDES grant to expose and train underrepresented students in hazard mitigation and disaster recovery research. She has also served as the PI on a Nebraska Department of Roads (NDOR) grant to assess phased construction of bridges, a US Geological Survey (USGS) grant to assess disaster debris management for a tsunami scenario along the California coast and a Department of Energy (DOE) Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant with the City of Omaha and the Kiewit Building Group to perform energy audits of city buildings and develop a data monitoring tool. Moreover, Dr. Norton has collaborated on work involving the seismic assessment of a collapsed ancient roman temple in Turkey, to assist in the reconstruction.
Dr. Norton was awarded a Fulbright Research Fellowship to Japan and serves as a visiting scholar at the Tohoku University International Research Institute for Disaster Science (IRIDeS) in Sendai, Japan. Dr. Norton was also awarded the Next Generation of Hazards and Disasters Researchers Fellowship, funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). She served on the EERI LFE Societal Dimensions Reconnaissance team following the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami. She has also been an invited lecturer at the University of Rome "La Sapienza", where her seminar focused on multi-hazard identification and risk assessment.
Dr. Norton is an active member of several professional organizations including: the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), and the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE). She serves as a faculty advisor for the UNL collegiate chapters of NSBE and EERI.
Her other interests involve mentoring the youth in the areas of math and science. She is the director of the Pink Hardhat Days (PHDs) for Girls Camp. She has been a mentor for the annual UNL Explore Engineering Week Program, the Ernest E. Just Marine Biology Program, the AMAN Inc. International Science and Discovery, Saturday Science Academy (SSA), the North High NSBE Jr. Chapter and the Urban League of Nebraska’s Girl in STEM Academy.
- Intro to Construction (CONE 1030), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Structural Mechanics (CNST 3350), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Structural Optimization (CNST 3360), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Structural Dynamics (CIVE 842), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Engineering Dynamics (MENG 3730), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Architectural Structures I (CNST 3310), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Engineering Statics (MENG 2230), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Engineering Statics (ETG 2502), Florida A&M University
- Strength of Materials (ETG 2530), Florida A&M University
- Soil Mechanics (ETC 3210), Florida A&M University
- Civil Engineering Mechanics (EGN 3311), FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics (EGM 3512), FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Assessment of Debris Management for USGS Tsunami Scenario
- Differential Elevation Assessment of Phased Constructed Steel Girder Bridges
- Disaster Reconstruction Through Debris Management: Recycling and Reuse
- Baseline Energy Audits of City of Omaha Facilities
- Seismic Assessment of Collapsed Ancient Roman Temple
- Recycled Carbon Fiber Reinforced Mortar: Shear Bond Strength
- Optimal Design of Hybrid Passive Control Devices
- Seismic Assessment of Curved Bridges Using Fragility Analysis
- Analysis of Magnetic Damping Systems for Structural Control
Honors and Awards
- BEYA Educational Leadership, College-Level Promotion Award (2018)
- Fulbright Research Fellowship to Japan (2016-2017)
- NSF IMPACT Fellowship (2016-2017)
- Hollings Family Distinguished Senior Faculty Teaching Award (2015)
- Who's Who in America (2014)
- UNL Peer Review of Teaching Program Fellowship (2012-2013)
- Academic Keys Who’s Who in Engineering Education (2012)
- ASCE ExCEEd II Teaching Workshop Fellowship (2012)
- NSBE Faculty Advisor Award (2012, 2015)
- Academic Keys Who’s Who in Engineering Education (2012)
- EERI East Japan Earthquake Reconnaissance Team (2011)
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellow (2011)
- UNL Construction Programs Jr. Professor of the Year (2011)
- Henry Y. Kleinkauf Family Distinguished New Faculty Teaching Award (2011)
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Service Award (2011)
- DSAEC Research Seed Grant (2011)
- Layman Award (2009)
- Next Generation of Hazards and Disasters Research Fellowship (2009)
- NSBE National AE Mentor of the Year (2009)
- Hildred Walker Technology Award (2007)
- Black Engineer of the Year Award (BEYA): Graduate Student Leadership (2005)
- National Society of Black Engineers Golden Torch Award: Graduate Student of the Year (2005)
- Title III Minority Doctoral Fellow, Florida A&M University (2005)
- GAANN Fellow, Florida A&M University (2005, 2004, 2003, 2002)
- Natural Hazard Mitigation in Japan, NHMJ, Selected Participant (2004, 2002, 2001)
- Florida State University PIE Teaching Certificate (2003)
- NSF Summer Institute in Japan, Selected Participant University of Tokyo(2002)
- Tau Beta Pi Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society
- W.E.B. Dubois Honor Society
- Phi Sigma Theta Honor Society
Norton, T. (2016) “Lessons Learned from Debris Management of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami” The 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Reconstruction and Restoration. Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research, Springer Publishing, ISBN 978-3-319-58691-5.
Norton, T. and Murao, O. “Review of Debris Management and Restoration of the Miyagi Prefecture following the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami” 16th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering (16WCEE), Chile, January 2017.
Moore, P.; Norton, T.; Wein, A. “USGS SAFRR Tsunami Scenario Debris Assessment of Southern Californian using the HAZUS-MH Flood Model” 16th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering (16WCEE), Chile, January 2017. (accepted)
Norton, T. and Moore, P. “USGS SAFRR Tsunami Scenario Debris Management Assessment of Californian Port Facilities” ASCE Costal Structures & Solutions to Coastal Disasters Joint Conference (COPRI), Boston, MA, September 2015. (DOI):10.1061/9780784480311.007.
- Radovic, M.; Norton, T.; Kurmel, M. “Preliminary Structural Performance Assessment of Recycled Materials for Disaster Reconstruction.” Second International Conference on Vulnerability and Risk Analysis and Management (ICVRAM 2014), Liverpool, UK, July 2014. (DOI): 10.1061/9780784413609.115
- Norton, T.; Mohseni, M.; Lashgari, M. (2012) “Multimode dynamic response of railway bridge superstructures to high-speed train loads” Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit. July 2013. (DOI): 10.1177/0954409713494944
- Norton, T.; Mohseni, M.; Lashgari, M. “Reliability evaluation of steel compression members designed with AASHTO LRFD bridge design code” Asian-Pacific Symposium on Structural Reliability and its Applications (APSSRA12), Singapore, May 2012.
- Cho, Y., Kabassi, K., Pyeon, J., Wang, C., Choi, K. and Norton, T. (2012). “Effective Removal Methods of Temporary Pavement Markings,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (ASCE ISSN: 0733-9364).
- Norton, T.; Mohseni, M.; Lashgari, M. (2011) “Reliability evaluation of axially loaded steel members design criteria in AASHTO LRFD bridge design code.” Reliability Engineering & System Safety. Vol.116, pp. 1-7.
- Norton, T.; Radovic, M., (2011). “Enhancement of the Construction Engineering and Management Curriculum through Physical Energy Assessment of City Facilities” Journal of Sustainability Education. March 2012. (On-Line)
- Deng, Y.; Norton, T.R.; Tuan, C.Y., (2011). “Analytical Studies on Non-post-tensioned and Post-tensioned Concrete-Filled Circular Steel Tubes under Bending” ICE Structures and Buildings. January 2012. (DOI): 10.1680/stbu.11.00001.
- Chang,S.; Aldrich, D.; Eisner, R.; Johnson, L.; Norton, T.; Tierney, K.; Wachtendorf, T.; Brittingham, R.; Iuchi, K.; Safaie, S.; Wilson, J. (2011). “Great Eastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Societal Dimensions” EERI Reconnaissance Report, August 2011. (On-Line)
- Lashgari, M.; Hatami, A.; Norton, T. “Flexural Reliability of NU Girder” PCI Convention/Exhibition & National Bridge Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, October 2011.
- Lashgari, M.; Norton, T. “Shear reliability assessment of RC columns designed according to ACI-318 criteria.” International Conference on Earthquakes & Structures (ICEAS 2011), Seoul, Korea, September 2011.
- Norton, T.; Lashgari, M. “Effect of LRB Isolator Characteristics on the Response of Base-Isolated Structure.” International Conference on Earthquakes & Structures (ICEAS 2011), Seoul, Korea, September 2011.
- Mohseni, M.; Norton, T. “Calibration of Steel Tension Members Design Criteria in AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Code.” International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP 11), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2011.
- Mohseni, M.; Norton, T. “Seismic damage assessment of curved bridges using fragility analysis.” International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP 11), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2011.
- Norton, T.; Erdogmus, E.; Buckley, C.; Kauzlarich, K.; Petersen, B. “Seismic Evaluation for the Temple of Antioch Reconstruction.” First International Conference on Vulnerability and Risk Analysis and Management (ICVRAM 2011), Hyattsville, Maryland, April 2011.
- Norton, T., Abdullah, M., Stephens, D., “Proposed Methodology for Performance-Based Vulnerability Assessment of Wind-Excited Tall Buildings”, Proceedings of AWAS, The 4th International Conference of Advances in Wind and Structures, Jeju, Korea, May 2008, pp. 1228-1246.